Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Email from Amazon pay?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just had an email from Amazon pay to say I’ve authorised a payment for $300.

I haven’t.

Normally I would ignore the email but this one is addressed to me and includes the last four digits of my card registered to Amazon retail (or whatever you call it, I’ve never registered for Amazon pay).

The email states “You initiated a payment of $300.00* to eRetailing Associates. This is not a charge. You won’t be charged until eRetailing Associates processes your payment. If you did not authorize this payment, please contact Amazon Pay support.”

If I try to copy the link or follow it from within the email to Amazon Pay nothing happens.

Tin foil hat time, but my ‘proper’ Amazon account was ‘hacked’ a few months ago and I’m paranoid this is related. I’ve removed my card from my Amazon account, changed my password and spoken to my bank who say nothing has been requested from my bank account but as a precaution they have cancelled my card.

I’ve never had any problems online before, use different/strong passwords etc but feel like I need to ditch Amazon.

Has anyone had anything similar?

peterno51

Can you post the headers of the email you received? Please remove your email address from the detail.

Edit: you will need to use outlook or similar not on a phone or tablet to do this. In the email go to File -> Properties and copy the detail from there.

Cougar

If I try to copy the link or follow it from within the email to Amazon Pay nothing happens.

Never do that, go to the regular site manually. What’s the link?

I’ve never registered for Amazon pay

Then it’s a scam.

Tin foil hat time, but my ‘proper’ Amazon account was ‘hacked’ a few months ago and I’m paranoid this is related.

Potentially where they’ve got your details from, depends what you mean by ‘hacked.’

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Someone used my Amazon login to buy £30 worth of Amazon gold coins (wtf) a few months ago.

Amazon were hopeless, I spoke to an agent that barely spoke English and she couldn’t understand that I hadn’t ordered these so called coins. They eventually refunded me after half an hour of repeating myself.

I’d never normally follow a link but after dealing with them over the phone I was intreauged to to see where the link took me (although I wasn’t going to give any details etc).

Peterno51, not sure what you mean by headers?

Jamie
    Free Member

Then it’s a scam.

Not if someone has registered using the OP’s details.

Peterno51, not sure what you mean by headers?

Basically the actual address the email came from. It might say Amazon, but the header will show the actual domain it originated from.

For example for Gmail:

By viewing these headers can you determine if the email actually came from Amazon.

You want to check those, check with Amazon by going via their website, and possibly considering cancelling any cards you had associated with Amazon if it has been hacked previously.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Card has been cancelled thanks.

How do I check the headers? It just shows as from no-reply@amazon.com when I click on the “From: Amazon Pay” at the top of the email from my iPhone.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Email from Amazon pay?’ is closed to new replies.