Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Easiest way to connect speakers to a TV?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

We want to put a smallish TV on the wall in one of our rooms but as my wife watches lots of music DVD’s, I’d also like to wire it to a couple of speakers so it sounds better. Apart from a surround sound amp which is a bit too big, can you buy small amps that do the same job? A sound bar isn’t an option and as I’m being given a couple of Bose speakers I’d quite like to use them. Many thanks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Start by making sure all the cables are going in the right direction. If you get them the wrong way it’ll sound crap regardless of how you set it up.

stumpy01

This was mentioned in another speaker thread that’s currently on this page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEPY-LP-2020A-Amplifier/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Looks like it will do the job.

Soundbar would be simpler though….. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Whatever you do it’ll be messy as you’ll need an amp so you’ll have boxes and wires all over. I really would go down the soundbar route.

choppersquad
    Free Member

The room needs decorating so I don’t mind chopping the wires into the wall to make things look neater. Because of positioning a sound bar will look weird but I haven’t really thought about a sound base as there will be a small unit under it which it could sit on? Not sure how a cheapish one of these would sound, especially if it’s cranked up a bit?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m being given a couple of Bose speakers I’d quite like to use them

Hmmm. You may be disappointed.

My suggestion: Track down a scondhand cheapo amp, cash converters ebay etc etc

Try: NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Sony, Technics, Pioneer, Onkyo, Arcam, Denon, Marantz, Mission, Rega.

Within reason, newer is better [less likely to fail].

Should be able to snap something good up for <100 and sell it for about the same if you don’t like the result and switch to a soundbar etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Be sure to position your speakers on a cushion.

Ideally between a vase of flowers and some candles.

the-muffin-man

If they are Cube speakers like these below, they are designed to work with a great big subwoofer. They sound rubbish on their own…

mudshark
    Free Member

I wanted to connect my TV to my Hi-Fi so put a cable in the headphone socket linking to my amp – I use Naim so needed to buy an appropriate cable but all good.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Cheap tri path amp?
    Lepy Amp

choppersquad
    Free Member

Unbelievably there are no cushions, vases or candles in this room, but whether it’ll stay like that, God knows?
    Not sure what the Bose speakers look like yet but thanks for the tip on those ones needing a sub to go with them.
    I’ve just given away a perfectly good Onkyo amp which I’m now a bit gutted about. I’ve just been looking at Cambridge Audio sound bases for about £150 and these might be a major improvement on the sound from the TV or I might give that small £20 amp a go and see what that’s like? I have some spare Wharfdale diamond speakers that could go up, but they don’t sound great wired up to a Teac mini system at the moment so maybe not?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Which model Diamond?

Cougar

Have you checked that the TV doesn’t have speaker connections already? Probably doesn’t but worth looking.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Wharfdale diamond 9.0
    Not sure if they’re any good or not?
    Not found a TV yet so can’t look for speaker connections. Fair point though. Will look when we find one.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was really fond my Diamond 8’s – really musical, just severely short of bass….. but I didn’t miss it so much as the overall sounds was still really enjoyable. Pretty sure the 9 is better, though it might be smaller…… Well you say you have them already, so compare them to the Bose stuff and make your choice after that I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Easiest way to connect speakers to a TV?’ is closed to new replies.