• This topic has 70 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 10.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Early morning exercise.- how?
  • juiced
    Free Member

Does anyone do it? How do you motivate yourself to do it? Wouldn't mind doing some excercise first thing, but do not seem to be able to get started afrer waking.
    Could be jogging, or a quick bmx ride. Probably jogging. Always seems to take me a while to come round and in the evening I ride to work the stresses of the day off.

Would like to do something by getting up an hour earlier, but once up do not seem to do it.Done early commuting before so no problem there.

Any advice appreciated.

crikey
    Free Member

Get the **** up, get the **** out.

It's not exactly difficult.

jedi

i spent years getting up at 4am 3 times a week to swim for tri training. routine makes it easier

GW
    Free Member

Just exercise in bed

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. I will try to plan a routine – and do it!

Swalsey
    Free Member

MTFU – Once you have got into the routine and you're going to bed a bit earlier it will become easier, but beginning is difficult. I struggled for the first few weeks of commuting 30 miles from 6:30am, now it's not so bad 🙂

Townfox
    Free Member

As soon as you wake up put some shorts and a t-shirt on and get out for a run..

Up and out within 5 mins..

When you get in you'll feel totally invigorated and you'll be set up for the day (after a hearty breakfast)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just about to set my alarm for 5am ride tomorrow. Setting myself a goal helps, and laying off the beer/wine a bit. Oh and good sleep, oops less than 7 hours to go, better put the ipod away!

crikey
    Free Member

It's just getting up early, it's not hard.

Get on with it you bloody blouse.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks all. 😀

grahamt1980

The only way I managed to get up early was the incentive of an hour or 2 messing a chicksands. Well until my mate spannered himself one morning.
    Sadly my motivation for getting out of bed has gone the same way

juiced
    Free Member

Jedi, I can assure you @ 4am I will be asleep.that's committed!

nonk
    Free Member

I put the alarm clock halfway down the stairs. this you will find is the tipping point that gets you to the kettle rather than the bed again.

juiced
    Free Member

yeah, good point.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks all.

nickjb
    Free Member

agree with townfox. wake up, get up, kit on straight away, kind of before you fully wake up.

juiced
    Free Member

ta.

stumpy01

I've recently started commuting part-way to work to get more miles in my legs.
    All-in it's a 60 mile each way journey, so I have to leave the house by 6:30 at the latest, drive most of the way and then park up, get the bike out & ride in the last 12.5 miles.

The key to doing it for me is to make sure ALL of the kit is prepared the evening before as well as whatever stuff is needed for work. I have also started putting the alarm on the other side of the room as getting out of bed is the hardest part for me but once I'm up I can generally crack on.

In the past I used to do a 6:30am Spin class & also a swimming session before work too. For these as well the key to actually doing it was to get everything prepared so all i had to do was get out of bed, get dressed, brush my teeth and go.

maxray
    Free Member

I commute at 6 am 3 or 4 days a week, up at 5.45 . As one poster said, get your kit out the night before. Whatever you decide to do you will feelbetter for it.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you up yet?

mugsys_m8

JUICED.

GET UP COME ON MAN GET UP

maxray
    Free Member

Lol, good sign that he hasn't replied, maybe he's running up the steps of the local footy stadium… the eye of the tiger!

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

And there was me thinking leaving at 8am was an early morning ride!

pinches
    Free Member

My girlfriend is a nurse and works 12hr shifts 3 times a week. I don't start until 10am, so her alarm wakes me up at the same time so I started riding to work with her then out for a road ride after that.

samuri
    Free Member

Get insomnia, that helps, A LOT. After you've spent a few years going for three days at a time without sleeping, getting yourself out of bed at 4am for a quick ride or run is easy.

Up at 5am this morning for my commute. Sweet!

I remember when I was Tri training I used to be up at 4am for a ride or a run, would then drive the 60 miles to Leeds, work, go for a swim at dinner time, drive the 60 miles back in the afternoon and then go out for another or run in the evening.

The human body and mind is amazing.

Morris
    Free Member

I set my alarm for 6am to go the gym. Didn't get up till 7:30.

Must try harder tomorrow!

chriswilk
    Free Member

get up at 6.30 for a commute a few times a week, set off by 6.45. Not too bad unless I choose a particularly steep climb early on.

on the summer solstice I was up at 3.50, out the door before 4 for a 5 hour ride before work. Thought I'd be knackered but was buzzing all day, and even the 15 miles back home seemed easy.

Diane
    Free Member

I used to get up at 5pm to commute into Cambridge thus avoiding certain death that was rush hour traffic. Secret it to have everything ready to go the night before.

thegreatape
    Free Member

When I'm on earlies I get up at 6 for a dump and a weetabix, leave at 6.30 for an hour and a half ride, then have half an hour at work for another dump and a wash before starting at 8.30. Great way to start the day, and means I don't have to do my long ride at the end of the day, just 10 mins home. Each day I try and beat my previous days time, so that's a bit of motivation I suppose.

yoshimi

I generally go to the gym about 6am 3 times a week before work – I love the fact that by the time you get in work you feel like you're wide awake and really making the most of the day.

Everywhen
    Free Member

In my experience some are able to get out running early morning, other are not.
    Personally I find 5 mins into an early morning run I have to turn back as I need a poo.

clubber
    Free Member

take some toilet roll with you and combine the activities? Or just wear a nappy?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seeing the sun rise on a ride rules, gotta just do it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Personally I find 5 mins into an early morning run I have to turn back as I need a poo.

Maybe jog on the spot for 5 mins at home first, a 'shake down' so to speak.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm not a morning person, and I can generally only get up early if I'm meeting someone. (hate being late/letting people down)

Even then, the first 30-60 minutes I operate way below par.

Diane
    Free Member

Too much information guys 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Lay all your kit out the night before, and tell your bird that you're doing XYZ in the morning. That way there's no excuse.

Woody
    Free Member

I took my dogs out for 1/2 hour at 0730 this morning. That was more than enough 'invigoration' for me.

Some people just aren't meant to do mornings 8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ride 13 miles three times a week first thing and also happy to get up at first light for a surf. But for some reason on my "run" days I find it a real bu66er going out early so tend to leave it until later in the day. Wierd.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Early morning exercise.- how?’ is closed to new replies.