• This topic has 80 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Cracked SC TRc / Tallboy Carbon frames
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Some web investigations have revealed a worrying number of cracked 2012 & 2013 Santa Cruz TRc swingarms (+ some frames) turning up and a not too insigificant number of cracked rear swingarms on 2010 onwards SC Tallboy Carbon’s.

Anyone on here suffered from the dreaded TRc ‘lower link circular crack of death’ or the circular crack forming on the seat tube linkage mount? Was it a straightforward warranty job?

I’d bet there’s probably a fair few frames being ridden without the owner even knowing the cracks are there so might be worth checking if you happen to own either type of frame.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t help/comment just 😮

butterbean
    Free Member

Not me personally, but one of the guys I ride with went through 2 back ends on his Nomad C, both the same, where the insert came unbonded & resulted in the circular crack of death.

They warrantied the first, no questions. The second? Caused a bit of an issue, as the bike had fallen out of warranty by then, despite it being a known, publicised issue & the other one failing just over 6 months before.

He ended up riding it anyway, until it fell apart.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Butterbean – interesting, the Nomad C as well then… I’ve heard about warranty TRc rear ends lasting all of 3-4 months before they have to be replaced again due to cracks forming, it’s not instilling the greatest confidence.

Looks like the 2013/14 Bronson / Solo / Tallboy Carbon2 now have square inserts as opposed to the circular ones in the lower link mount, time will tell I suppose as to whether cracks form but the square shape should prevent this.

devs
    Free Member

Interested/worried about this. Got any pics or links as to exactly where this crack is happening. I’ve just given my Tallboy carbon a once over and it seems fine but I’ll need to give it a clean and proper inspection.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Devs – the above example is a Tallboy Carbon, note the thin, circular ring around the pivot axle bolt. This is one that cracked on the front triangle, the crack and ring is seemingly more common on the lower link mount on the swingarm.

If left, the crack propagates to form a complete ring and at that point the pivot axle and frame insert simply spins in the frame leading to a very wallowly rear end.

devs
    Free Member

Ta, back off out to check again.

Shred
    Free Member

That’s my frame. It has cracked all the way around now and is just spinning in the frame.
    I’m waiting on a TBc2 warranty replacement.

I also had a weird crack in the rear triangle at the top where the bolt attaches it to the link. That was also a warranty replacement.

I took those pictures but didn’t realise that the crack was a problem.

Fat-boy-fat

Weirdly enough, I just got word from SC that they would replace my frame under warranty for this very issue. Mine hasn’t got to the spinny wallowy stage yet. A bit worried now about the replacement frame.

luke1688

Just rushed off to check my TRc after reading this. My lower drive side pivot has no signs of cracks but just a slightly raised area around the pivot axle. Is this normal?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I had a 2012 TRc that cracked around the drive-side lower pivot axle after 6 months, this was warrantied no questions asked by SA with a 2013 model, they ran out of rear triangles in the 2012 colour so I got a whole new frame, great you say, but not when you factor in the time off the bike, cost of 142×12 maxle (which I had to pay for…) and converting my rear pro 2 (~£100), not the sort of thing you expect to shell out on after buying an expensive frame in the first place.

After riding the 2013 replacement for 2 months it has started to crack again, this time around the non-drive side seatstay to rocker-link pivot. I am going to ride it until it starts to cause problems.

I asked Santa Cruz if they planned to update the TRc with the “No bonding” technology used on the Bronson, Solo and Tallboy 2 frames, they said they had no plans to do that yet. I assume that is because it may mean new molds need to be made, which is very costly, and the fact that the Solo is basically a TRc with bigger wheels (you join the dots..).

I would NOT recommend anyone buy a TRc at the moment, which is painful to say as I would rather get rid of the frame & hassle and go with something bombproof, but would not sell a TRc to someone now without making them aware of the issue. I have also learnt to not invest in technology (carbon or otherwise) that has been used by the general public for at least a year…

A guy on mtbr has had an alloy rear TR end fitted to his TRc, this sounds like a good idea, despite the colours not working at all, there is still a bonded pivot on the front triangle though which will always be a worry even with an alu rear end.

To be honest I think Santa Cruz should address this issue publicly and offer alternatives to anyone who has a frame, original owner or otherwise.

chakaping
    Free Member

Blimey.

Maybe this is the downside of SC rushing so many new frames into the marketplace every year?

NZCol

I have cracked 2 carbon tall boys, the first edition frames. One in the curve of the top tube which I reckon was probably caused by plane travel to be fair. When I stripped it i discovered there were about a dozen big cracks round the pivot and BB area. Replaced quickly, 4 months later the BB and pivot was cracked again. Replaced instantly but I asked for a LTc which they did and so far it is OK. I also have a alloy TB which is fine.

luke1688

Anyone know about the raised area around the pivot?

discapade
    Free Member

My 2013 TRC is cracked and the rear is being replaced. I have a pic but don’t know hot to upload it on a mac

Stevelol
    Free Member

Anyone know about the raised area around the pivot?

Do you mean the end of the black axle protrudes slightly? Or do you mean the actual carbon part is raised around the axle a bit? My axle protrudes slightly (you can feel it with your finger) but the carbon part of the frame feels flat.

Straightliner

They also seem to let go on the rear chainstay, about 2-3″ from the rear axle. It can happen on both drive and non-drive sides.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

luke1688 – does it look like this? i.e. there is a raised circular bulge forming around the suspension pivot, if there is then it can mean that the insert has come unbonded from within the frame / swingarm.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ben has this happened to yours? Keeping hold of the Mojo?!

scotroutes

Given the Blur XC Carbon has been out for a few years now and there don’t seem to be any issues with it, what they they change when it came to the Tallboy RTc etc

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I haven’t had this problem. But I ride a bike made from filing cabinets in a shed in Halifax. Its only got one of them pivot things as well. Proving to be quite reliable…

Shred
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the warrant TBc2 frame I am getting will include the 142 X 12 axle, or do I need to buy one myself.

I have Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and have already bought the end caps to convert them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Proving to be quite reliable…

Do you check for cracks in the rear* of the swingarm very often?

😉

* opposite where the tyre goes

bennyboy1
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – I was looking at a TRc purchase but after doing some web investigations the news of what seems to be fairly common TRc frame / swingarm cracks I’m now seriously cooling on the idea!

I checked over my Blur XCc last night and thankfully all 100% ok on that front, it’s still immaculate (abeit under a summer’s worth of dust!). 🙂

binno
    Free Member

Just to be clear:

1. Can the problem happen on either of the circular pivot points shown in the photo of the orange TBc above? 2. Signs are either a raised bulge, visible circular mark or obvious crack?

Thanks

luke1688

Bennyboy- on mine the white carbon is very slightly raised in a circle around both the driveside lower pivot and the non-drive side pivot where it meets the seatstay. There are no signs of any cracks and tbh it looks like it’s just part of the frame. There is certainly a raised area but not like in ur pic

luke1688

image by luke.greenwood, on Flickr

image by luke.greenwood, on Flickr

luke1688

What do you reckon? I know it needs cleaning lol!

discapade
    Free Member

I recon that’s ok mate, just keep an eye on it for cracking though

v10
    Free Member

Oh cock.

discapade
    Free Member

That’s it mate ):0(

dirtyrider
    Free Member

so its cracked, what actual problems does it cause?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ah i see, rotating wallowy back end

discapade
    Free Member

It doesn’t cause any probs, apparently, after speaking to jungle, the bearing seizes in the frame, something’s got to give….Carbon or metal..

Candodavid
    Free Member

How much use have these failed frames had?
    Is it happening in months or years?

gpavey
    Free Member

Based on Jungles response. Is it not just a case of greasing the bearing regularly?

Stevelol
    Free Member

It has nothing to do with the bearing, the crack is from a threaded metal insert becoming un-glued from the frame, flexing, then cracking the frame.

At least that’s my opinion, where mine has cracked this second time, it’s not even possible to grease the bearing (like you can with the labyrinth seals on the links) and it happened after only 2 months, the bearings should still be like new then.

jambo13
    Free Member

Good call on this thread, I hadn’t thought to check that area before for cracking, and probably wouldn’t have to be honest….

I had a check the other day and think I might have an issue on the drive side lower pivot bearing. Going into the shop tomorrow to get it inspected further and get some better photos sent to Jungle.

Edit, not sure why the img isn’t show, might be able to see it here

boxelder

All fine here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Cracked SC TRc / Tallboy Carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.