• This topic has 80 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Cracked SC TRc / Tallboy Carbon frames
  • Paceman
    Free Member

How did you guys go about approaching SC / Jungle, via a shop or directly?

Keep us posted on the outcome please.

Fat-boy-fat

I went through the shop I bought the frame from. The boys from Jungle have been cool as they usually are in my experience. Getting a new frame on warranty … no questions asked. Also getting a free maxle as a good will gesture. I did think about selling the replacement frame and buying a solo instead but the lead times on solos seem to be fairly long, so I’m just sticking with the replacement. Let’s hope it doesn’t crack.

jambo13
    Free Member

Just been into shop, they seemed good about it and genuinely surprised, this is the first time they’ve seen it.

Did also find a crack in my top tube as well, just before the swoopy curve.

Shop are contacting Jungle tomorrow, hopefully they’ll be as good as everyones else’s experiences here!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Curses… Hadn’t heard of the problem before and thought it would be worth a quick look at mine… 2010 model LTc with the same problem you guys have pointed out… Fired a quick email to SC to see how to proceed as i’m 300 miles from the nearest dealer :/

Shred
    Free Member

The problem is that they don’t have any frames in stock for warranty. I reported the problem in early Sept and am still waiting. There is a noticeable thunk through the pedals so I’m not that happy riding the bike.

Paceman
    Free Member

Shred, did you report the problem direct to Santa Cruz UK?

Skisareforkids, let us know what they say,

Cheers guys.

Shred
    Free Member

I went though my LBS where I bought it. They took it up with Santa Cruz.
    edit: actually, probably with Jungle

wwaswas

I can see discontinuing 26″ and selling off remaining stock is going to make warranty claims more difficult.

They can’t just supply a newer 650B frame as a replacement?

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve got a TallBoy C, and am getting a new TBc2 as a warranty.

jambo13
    Free Member

Update on mine, going via the LBS Jungle sent the photos to SC USA and they’re replacing both the front and rear triangles and re-using my current frame, so happy days though an expected 4 – 6 week wait :-/

Current frame is 18 months old Tallboy C XXL for anyone who cares.

pjm84
    Free Member

So no Swinley for you Jamie!

pipiom
    Free Member

Scared now, mine not arrived yet……microscope at the ready 🙁

Shred
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any TB LT’s or TB2’s that have broken (That I’ve seen on the internet). I think the newer frames use a different process for the linkages.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

SC TB LTc / TBc2 / Bronson / 5010 frames use a square shaped bearing insert as opposed to the round ones that used work loose and crack – too soon to tell yet but the square shape should limit the unbonding issues.

Shred
    Free Member

Woohoo, frame is at the LBS. Being built up tomorrow, although I am ill so the first ride will have to wait.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Later Blur TRc frames have the square insert too. Think it was from when the 142 rear end was added. Certainly, the one we were looking at in the shop on Monday was 142 and had the square inserts.

Shred
    Free Member

Well got my bike back, and I really like the look of the raw frame. I’ve just spent the evening putting on frame protection and then remembered that the frame is slightly different in that the seat tube is shorter. So, measure up and raise the saddle, and the seat post is too short.

Wonderful. 👿

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rushes out to check the Blur…..well as soon as it gets light anyway.

alfabus
    Free Member

Later Blur TRc frames have the square insert too. Think it was from when the 142 rear end was added. Certainly, the one we were looking at in the shop on Monday was 142 and had the square inserts.

That could potentially be a load off my mind!

Has anyone seen a cracked 2013 TRc (matt black or gloss white with the 142 rear end)?

Dave

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yes, there has been lots, some people have cracked 2 of their 2013 replacements in the same place. Mine is going at the upper pivot too. There’s a thread on mtbr called ‘carbon disbonding issues’ which has lots of people’s stories in.

alfabus
    Free Member

arse

simonm
    Free Member

O cock. didnt realise it was so wide spread. Best check mine out when its clean.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Locked up for months of secret testing, Bronson has broken straight onto the scene

a rather unfortunate choice of words from the Santa Cruz web site then….

simonm
    Free Member

bah, I feel left out. A couple of thousand miles in the Peak district for last 24 months and my frame is all fine. Do I need to ride faster or stop floating over stuff 😉

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have been wondering how you’ve been getting on with your TRc Simon 😀 Glad to hear you’ve experienced no problems, it’s funny that I’ve had 2 TRc frames since seeing yours in the flesh when I bought your Revs!

simonm
    Free Member

Mad Steve, a shame but I’d stick with it. TRc is an amazing bike, SC never leave there customers in the lurch.

kimbers

simonm – Member
    Mad Steve, a shame but I’d stick with it. TRc is an amazing bike, SC never leave there customers in the lurch.

4-6 weeks waiting for a replacement frame sounds in the lurchish to me!

ulvaskar
    Free Member

I´m like simonm, have a TRc -12 that I ride the same rough stuff I rode on my Nomad, no disponding yet….
    Allthough I hate the after ride frame inspection routine. Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening?

Stevelol
    Free Member

From what I’ve read there’s nothing you can do to stop it, according to SC it’ll either happen or it won’t.

thered

Hmmm, best give mine a clean and thorough inspection.

simonm
    Free Member

4-6 weeks waiting for a replacement frame sounds in the lurchish to me!

Not really. A new frame assured, and it takes about that time to get a new frame if you purchase a brand new bike so I don’t see how they could do better given UK stocking etc.

I had a uninsured Nomad go under a uplift trailer and SC gave a replacement frame at crash replacement price. Pretty damn good.

On the contrary a mate with a snapped aluminium Lapierre rear had to battle with the local dealer for five weeks first before finally getting agreement from Lapierre to replace that took another 4 weeks.

Had an Original aluminium Blur XC many years ago with bearing issues, SC sorted that no problem no questions asked.
    SC have always been excellent to me when Warranty called upon.

jambo13
    Free Member

Got my new TBc2 frame last week, very nice.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Well, it took a while, but I had this arrive on my doorstep and I think it’s lovely! I was thinking of selling the warranty replacement and putting it towards a SB66 but i’m very taken by this 😕

Candodavid
    Free Member

Get it built that man.

hora
    Free Member

skidsareforkids have they now sorted the issue? IF yes then build it. If its the same design as the one you had I’d sell ASAP (before post-Christmas when people check their bank balances/statements).

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I am not sure if the 2013 model with the iscg tabs and 142mm rear end has the redesigned bearing mould process, so I don’t know… 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

skidsareforkids, that is a sweet looking frame 🙂 It’s one of the last off the line, it was redesigned and tweaked since 2012. Have 2 in the house and both seem fine. Up there on the list of best bikes ever ridden

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Yeah, I decided against a Yeti, as I really can’t justify the expense, and the new frame is just so nice! Built it up within an hour of receiving my 142mm kit for my rear wheel. 😆 Ordered an Elite Dropper seatpost for it already and planning on a Double Barrel Air CS shock soon too 🙂

catvet
    Free Member

Stick with it I saw one do a 30 foot road gap yesterday not an issue!!
    Without doubt a good rider , but it makes you realise these bikes caperbilities, so it’s usually the rider lacking the skills!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Cracked SC TRc / Tallboy Carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.