Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Crack or sticker???
  • monkeyboyjc

Sooooo, I built up a homemade bamboo bike last year thread avaliable here. But as my garage is particularly damp I didn’t want it growing the fungus of death over winter so I stripped it down and put the frame in storage in the spare room behind a bunch if stuff. It was checked regularly over the winter and had no issues – radiator on low in that room and usually awinfow open to let the cat in/out.

However the wifes mother is staying at ours this weekend. So wife decided nows the time to ‘clear out the spare room’ takes every thing out and puts it in the hall – leans frame up against radiator and piles everything else against it about 24hrs ago. Unfortunately I didn’t notice until this morning……

Still – could be a sticker?

Just gives me an excuse to spend more cash on mk2 and give great bargaining with the wife for years over the HOURS of work put into it….. Probably only got to ride it 4 times etc etc…

R.I.P

psycorp
    Free Member

Cracked sticker?

monkeyboyjc

Cracked sticker?

😀 could be

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Watch out for scrotal splinters…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wrap it around the middle.

stevied
    Free Member

So wife decided nows the time to ‘clear out the spare room’ takes every thing out and puts it in the hall – leans frame up against radiator and piles everything else against it

Need a new patio?
    As above, would wrapping it work?

hooli

Cable ties or a jubilee clip 😉

monkeyboyjc

Small cracks are fixable, large full length down the tube not so fixable – to fix a crack you clean up the crack and fill it with more epoxy and ideally some bamboo shavings.

Might be able to carbon wrap it…. But I’d rather do a mk2 which I have been planning for a while but limited funds has put it on hold.

onandon
    Free Member

Sorted.

mjsmke

If that was filled with a clear resin it would look great and would add to the natural aesthetics of the materials.

Or could you hang it on the living room wall as a reminder of all your hard work?

wwaswas

ideally some bamboo shavings

for aesthetic purposes, I assume – they can’t add anything structurally?

I hadn’t realised that bamboo frames were prone to that, tbh.

Finally, ridden 4 times? I wouldn’t mention that – she might decide it’s not worth replacing 😉

monkeyboyjc

they can’t add anything structurally?

binds the epoxy and stops it running into the centre and filling the tube, also less epoxy = less weight.

I hadn’t realised that bamboo frames were prone to that, tbh.

Natural material that is moisture absorbant.
    Also explains the big ‘CrAcK’ noise from the hallway at about 10pm last night.

ontor
    Free Member

Carbon tubes for mk2?

AlexSimon

Really feel for you.
    🙁

monkeyboyjc

Carbon tubes for mk2?

Partly….

Stevet1
    Free Member

Natural material that is moisture absorbant.

I’m going to go out on a limb but maybe, just maybe it isn’t the best material to build a bike frame out of no matter how arty farty it looks.

oldnpastit

What was it like to ride?

monkeyboyjc

What was it like to ride?

Most comfortable Road bike I’ve owned, very compliant, if a little too compliant – with 35c tyres and 2mm of clearance to the chainstay I could get tyre rub on both sides putting the power down, but it’s not that sort of bike.

maybe it isn’t the best material to build a bike frame out of

Its a storage issue (central heating) rather than a manufacturer, or issue with ride quality etc. Also I hadnt wanted to epoxy coat (seal) the whole frame (so it could have been stored in the garage) as it would have been harder to make adjustments to. It’s similar to not painting a steel frame and then it going rusty.

RustySpanner

Crackin’?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Crack or Sticker?

Oooh, crack please.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Crack or sticker???’ is closed to new replies.