Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Could chainless night riding be the new niche?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

At the high point of this evening’s ride my chain snapped. Neither I nor my two mates had packed a chain tool. The gravity gods were with me and I managed to descend the best part of a couple of miles back to the paved road.

Despite having old school 26 inch wheels, ‘the trail came alive’ while trying to conserve momentum even over fairly rocky and rooty trails.

The jury is still out on what wheel size rolls best when you have to push me the last couple of miles home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Side-saddle-postman-style FTW!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Niche-ness comes from within.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Had the same thing happen last weekend. Chain went pop at Rothiemurchus lodge. Only had to dandy horse it along the southern shore of loch Morlich to get home.

oldnick

Despite having old school 26 inch wheels, ‘the trail came alive’

Actual LOL, cheers 🙂

garage-dweller

I have been there, cold wet and one downhill left. Balance bike for grown ups. I found the lack of any resistance in the pedals quite unsettling. The buffers made me run the last half mile though!

bigblackshed

A mate of mine rode for the Pearce DH team many years ago. Snapped his chain out of the gate. Still came 2nd. Pump and flow and don’t touch the brakes!!!!!

He’s embarrassingly good.

nedrapier

One of the funniest things I’ve seen was watching my mate Mike pedal back from the pub on a summer evening in Wales after his LH crank had come off. He was on clips and straps, right foot pedaling all the way round with the left leg thrashing out to the side for balance.. He wasn’t hanging about, either. Likes a challenge does Mike…

iamroughrider
    Free Member

forget retro 26 inch wheels , really should be retro wooden wheels.

Then the trail will really come alive 🙂

richmtbguru
    Free Member

Always remember winning a race years ago when my chain snapped, thought I’d never make it to the finish line but persistence and a positive mind spurred me on, couldn’t believe it but sometimes a good core position and pumping is far better than pedaling and not having the flow, sometimes it is good to take the chain off on purpose and learn to pump down a track…maybe I should be doing this on certain courses I teach.. 💡

brodie
    Free Member

Its when you forget and try to pedal that the problems start.

mikey74
    Free Member

They run chainless races in Whistler. The last race of the Phat Wednesday series is always a chainless race down A-Line.

I even saw them running a chainless race for kids down B-line when I was there a few weeks ago.

I’ve never tried it myself, but it must force to you maintain your speed and lay off the brakes

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Always remember winning a race years ago when my chain snapped, thought I’d never make it to the finish line but persistence and a positive mind spurred me on, couldn’t believe it but sometimes a good core position and pumping is far better than pedaling and not having the flow, sometimes it is good to take the chain off on purpose and learn to pump down a track…maybe I should be doing this on certain courses I teach

😯

acehtn
    Free Member

The Dragon Downhill series used to have chainless seeding several years ago.
    Had to scoot across the fireroad at Rheola, could later on carry enough speed to zip across it with ease (about 100yards)

Had to try and run and jump on at Mountain Ash, wasn’t called the pedal devil for nothing that one 🙂

Certainly makes you think about being smooth and not braking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Could chainless night riding be the new niche?’ is closed to new replies.