Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap dicta freewheel removal
  • Steelsreal

The dicta freewhell on my old onone has packed up and having had a quick google i find there is no tool to get it off. nice. So it sthe one that neither the two pin or four pin tools fit….

So have spent a couple of evening in the shed wth various hammers chisels drills and saws and nothing seems to touch it.

If i go much further i can see a destroyed hub (I am not the gentlest of persons with a hammer!), so any top tips on how to get it off….

nbt

Clamp the freewheel in a vice and make like the bus driver in Speed

soobalias
    Free Member

remove the cover, clockwise!
    let the bearings fall out all over the floor.
    clamp the remaining guts in a vice and undo, or rather find the vice wont grip it nicely and begin to grind two opposite flats on, till a vice will grip and undo it.

finally learn from the mistake and only ever fit a freewheel…….

rolfharris
    Free Member

Be careful- there's approximately 14 trillion bearings in the buggers!

Del

LOL!
    get the face plate off and disassemble as much as you can, then the vice as described.
    you may be able to use pipe grips in the absence of a vice, but TBH i doubt it, unless you've sparrow's legs.

tim41
    Free Member

The dicta freewheel that came on my inbred a few years ago needed generous persuasion with a hammer and centre punch to remove the outer plate after which all the internal gubbins fell out. Removing the freewheel shell was not so easy, and required a trip to the bike shop, who laughed, but sorted it out.

I'm amazed that On One ever spec'd such a low quality part to be honest. At least the other cheap freewheels available (shimano, ACS etc) are removable with readily available tools.

I'm running a nice WI freewheel now.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Irritating isn't it? Classic example of cutting corners fitting a non-removable freewheel to hit a certain price point. Like everyone says, the vice, the hammer and the centre punch are your friends here. The freewheel is your enemy. Go get it.

Steelsreal

that'll explain my inability to shift the cover, i assumed it would come of in an anti clockwise fashion. Can bareley wait to get home and unleash my selection of punches and chisels (left it soaking in plus gas overnight so hopefully that will help).

as for the gozillion bearings, i will barely notice on my shed floor as its covers in various other bits of rubbsih (no time to keep it tidy!)

and yes it is frustrating, how much does this save on a build? a 'normal' one is only £20 so can only be a tenner max….surely…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap dicta freewheel removal’ is closed to new replies.