• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bros.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Camping matt, self-inflating mattress, air bed, what's comfiest?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Discovered self-inflating camping matts existed the other day, are they more comfortable than a traditional air bed?

I hate air beds, squeeky, you bob around, by morning you’re folded in two because they’ve deflated somewhat.

Does the internal foam of a self inflater make it more supportive with less air?

Is a thick foam matt the only way i’m going to get the feeling of a real bed?

matt_outandabout

I camp.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Buy a decent air bed and it won’t squeak or deflate 😉
    And don’t forget to put a thin foam mat on top for insulation.

Self-inflating mats are fine if you don’t need to be comfortable – they are just way too thin for me, although having said that my Mulitmat ice mat is 10cam thick, so not too bad, but heavy.
    For cycle touring I have just upgraded from a Vaude Norrsken to an Exped Synmat in the biggest size – the Norrsken was really to narrow.

Lots of options – really hard to find out what will suit you without spending money!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Exped downmat is better than either.

doh
    Free Member

Exped synmat user for a few years worth every penny. Cost twice as much as my sleeping bag but wouldn’t have it the other way round. You don’t need any extra insulation it’s warm down to freezing. The heavier ones are good to -25 I think.
    If I was car camping I would buy one of the heavier exped mattress.

Remember don’t inflate any mattress with your mouth it gets mildew inside (like my synmat) so buy the pillow pump/dry bag thingy as well if it’s not self inflating or has internal pump.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Camping mat for heat not comfort

Self inflating – to save weight not for comfort but acceptable to good depending on many factors.

Air bed for comfort but can be cold so I put a camping mat on top

Greybeard
    Free Member

+ 1

wozza180
    Free Member

I`ve got an Outwell Deamboat, not cheap but wanted to get a good nights sleep at least once in the week away,its way better than any blow up mattress ive ever had, inflatted at the begining of 8 days away and never needed topping up again.

slowoldman

+2

spectabilis
    Free Member

I tend to use one of these :

Or……

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the alpkit dozer if you are car camping rather than hiking or biking.

Nice and big and comfy.

My wife had a really bad back and slept on one for a few months at home.

mudmuncher

Exped megamat 10 arrived this afternoon.

Going to try it out tonight.

Will let you know in the morning.

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn and I use a Multimat double self inflating 7cm mattress. It’s really comfortable. I’m about 15 stone and we get a great night’s sleep. Deflating it is a bit of a job until you get the knack. It’s not small though, car camping only. It’s best without any extra air in. First time I blew it up a bit and it was too hard. Not sure how such a thin thing feels like a £1000 plus mattress like we have at home.

mudmuncher

mudmuncher – Member

Exped megamat 10 arrived this afternoon.

Going to try it out tonight.

Will let you know in the morning.

Well I had a pretty good nights sleep last night, not far off in comfort to my home mattress. Not cheap (£140) but worth the extra. 9/10

ransos
    Free Member

I`ve got an Outwell Deamboat, not cheap but wanted to get a good nights sleep at least once in the week away,its way better than any blow up mattress ive ever had, inflatted at the begining of 8 days away and never needed topping up again.

Ditto. Very, very comfortable, but quite heavy and bulky so only for car camping.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

7cm self inflator. Sleeps better than my bed mattress and thats a good one.

Used to use Vango Adventure until it clapped out after years of heavy use/abuse.

Since gone with Grand Canyon, even better if anything.

pondo

When we do our summer holiday, we have two single air beds (so you don’t roll together, and when one person moves, they don’t bounce the other person around) united under a double bed elasticated sheet, with a duvet on top to lie on, then another duvet on top of that to go over us. Two singles is deffo the way forward for couples and air beds, I’m over doubles – however, conversely they are great for someone on their own.

tuffty
    Free Member

Thermarest Neo air, really comfy and insulates you well from cold ground. Rolled up it is about the size of a coke can 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member
    gogg
    Free Member

+1 again, although the synmat is perfectly adequate (we have a pair his and his, but she gets the downmat which I use in winter as her summer mat, she doesn’t camp in winter).

peterfile
    Free Member

+1 again, although the synmat is perfectly adequate (we have a pair his and his, but she gets the downmat which I use in winter as her summer mat, she doesn’t camp in winter).

+1

Synmat is slightly better all round option (in the UK anyway) IMO.

We’ve got both and while they are the same weight and pack to roughly the same size, the Synmat is only 1 R-Value behind the downmat, but is considerably cheaper.

I camp all through winter in Scotland and have yet to hit the limit of the Synmat (temp rating of -17), never mind the downmat.

In addition, I find the downmat a bit too warm in summer.

Finally, we blow into the mats on occasions rather than faff about with the pumping mechanisms and I often regret doing that with natural fibres in the downmat.

biglee1

I’ve used a thermarest for years and I found that as long as it’s inflated enough to keep my boney bits from touching the floor it’s dead comfy, I sleep on my side as well 😀 Don’t inflate them too hard and don’t store them compressed and rolled up

bros
    Free Member

Mountain Equipment Helium – I’ve used for loads of stuff. Took it on Wainwright’s coast to coast hike (carrying everything) last summer and was comfy every night.

I think they’re indefinitely on sale in cotswold outdoor, I got the thicker of the two options (3.8 if I recall) for around £40ish. Worth every penny. Weighs around 750g and packs up small.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Camping matt, self-inflating mattress, air bed, what's comfiest?’ is closed to new replies.