Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Bolt Thru – Can you feel the difference?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not a real world comparison but, my 04 Mount Vision came with Fox Float 32’s RLC forks with a QR. Felt fairly stiff and i didn’t notice much (if any) deflection. Bust those forks and fitted a set of Reba SL’s with QR. really noticed the difference, much more ‘noodly’ through the rocky stuff.

Bought a Wolf Ridge fitted with Pike 20mm Maxle, Sun Ringle hubs and Mavic EN 321 rims. The difference is night and day, blat through stuff that would have me pinging around like a pin ball on the Mount Vision. How much is down to the bolt through alone, and how much is down to all the other factors of heavier wheels/stiffer and bigger fork/more robust frame etc.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I’ve used QR Fox Floats and Rockshox Recons, then tried Pikes 20mm which were vastly better feeling, even to me and i’m pants at riding.

I currently have 20mm Revs. I am very interested in views on these rear 10/12mm bolt through axles as in Hope conversions, anyone tried these out?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bigbloke – my Wolf Ridge has a 12mm maxle lite on the rear, i don’t know if i can really tell the difference because the whole suspension system on the bike is different. The rear wheel does track better but i’d be more inclined to put that down to the whole bike rather that one part in isolation.

chiefgrooveguru

I changed the forks and wheels at the same time, from 9mm and skinny XC rims to 15QR and Stans Flow. Made the bike feel like it only went where it was pointed and much less prone to being deflected by rocks/bumps/etc. How much was fork stiffness, how much was extra slackness and travel (40mm), how much was wheel stiffness, who knows? I know I really really like it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can’t. swapped between pikes and recons on the same bike – no ohte change, no difference I can feel. I’d rather have 20 mm for wheel security but going to the recons saved 1.5 lbs

singlecrack
    Free Member

Not sure
    I just get on with riding it and prob adapt to how it handles
    I don’t tend to analyse things too much ‘cos every corner is different and every trail is different at different speeds.

Northwind

I went from QR Revelations to 20mm Revelations and did feel a difference, but nothing that actualy affected my riding. After a couple of rides, I stopped being aware of it. Same when I wrnt back to the QR ones.

GW
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I can’t. swapped between pikes and recons on the same bike – no ohte change, no difference I can feel. I’d rather have 20 mm for wheel security but going to the recons saved 1.5 lbs

assuming you used the same wheel (just switched adapters?) What rim was it?
    IMO there’s no point having a 20mm fork if you’re not using a stiff front rim/wheelbuild. with stiff wheels it’s easily noticable (if you’re the type of rider that notices things like flex)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Same wheel. Pro 2 / dt 5.1s

if you’re the type of rider that notices things like flex

I can’t

So I’m the only one who’s managed to get their brake caliper to touch the spokes then ? 😕

GW
    Free Member

No, you’re not Graham, It’s just that I usually find your posts far too dull to reply to.

beanieripper
    Free Member

bolt thrus definately feel a bit stiffer on stuff you want to just plough through but for an all day ride i actually find a qr fork a bit more forgiving.. (both revs)

robsoctane
    Free Member

@beanierripper, that’s interesting… I wonder what others think? forgiving set up… that sounds like something that needs to be thought about.

It’s just that I usually find your posts far too dull to reply to

Ooh, you are being Mr Grump today, aren’t you ?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Bolt Thru – Can you feel the difference?’ is closed to new replies.