Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Boiling water burn – my fault and a warning.
  • tang
    Free Member

Out for a walk on Saturday with the family and we always like to take our kelly kettle for a brew up somewhere nice. Got the fire going and getting cups ready when I realised I had stupidly left the cork in, it had only been on a few minutes. I gingerly pulled the plug and BOOM it fired water and steam at high pressure over my hand and thigh. Just a stupid oversight on my part, something I’ve never done before. I know none of you are silly enough but don’t leave the cork in for a second once you’ve lit it!
    Long walk back to the car in my pants with nothing left to cool it down and in agony. Wrist and leg are a bit of a mess and I have a NATO strap mark as clear as day, even burnt tiny sizing hole marks. Thankfully after a visit to burns no surgery is needed. Even more thankful that my kids were at a safe distance.
    Holed up in my bed in the study, as I can’t risk the wife throwing her limbs about. Finishing ‘Flood of fire’ which is how it feels!

kayak23

Ouch.
    Heal up soon dude.

Yak

Ouch – heal up quick.

I’ve always fancied one of those kelly kettles – a brew from a few sticks seems very efficient to me.

tang
    Free Member

They are ace and I will be using again!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Never take the radiator cap off your car after driving either 🙂

tomhoward

[pedant]

That’s a scold, not a burn

[/Pedant]

Get well soon btw 🙂

wombat

tomhoward – Member

[pedant]

That’s a scold scald, not a burn

[/Pedant]

FTFY 😉

wwaswas

[pedant]

That’s a scold, not a burn

[/Pedant]

Errrm, ‘scald’. The irony. 🙂

[edit] too slow 😉

tomhoward

FFS.

Lol I even thought ‘that doesn’t look right’!

wwaswas

I even thought ‘that doesn’t look right’!

You should tell yourself off.

If only there was a word beginning with ‘s’ and rhyming with old that had that meaning!

stumpy01

Ow Ow Ow! Sounds nasty!

I’ve got a flip top drinks bottle that I use at work, which I sploosh out regularly with hot water from the hot water urn in our kitchen.
    Occasionally I forget to hold my finger over the cap & once I’ve shaken it a few times, the pressure build-up inside blows the cap off & sprays a hot water mist all over the kitchen.
    That’s quite unpleasant and enough of a shock, so I can only imagine how horrible that must have been!

allthepies
    Free Member

Could have been worse.

tang
    Free Member

Of course, scald! Weirdly nobody at the hospital/burns unit even used that word!

wombat

Perhaps they weren’t sure how to spell it…. 😆

ironnigel
    Free Member

Damn! Get well soon!

cardo

Blimey Tang… get well soon..

Is that blokes head actually on fire in that pic ? ^^^^

singletrackmind

I did something similar at work. Someone ( John the driver ) had been using the jet wash and put it away after using it. He switched off the water , but not the actual main power switch.
    The next day I went to use and it wouldn’t fire up, so I went disconnect the hose, and a jet of steam flumed out across my hand .

Fortuantly ,having previuosly set myself on fire , I went to the sink and ran my hand under the tap for a few mins , then made a bandage out of a tea towwl and filled that with ice.

The pressure had slowly dropped in the pump head and the motor started up, but with no water the pressure didnt increase enough to switch the motor off, so it ran till the thermal cut out did its job. Unfortunalty the thermal cut out is above 100’c so any water in the system got super heated , expanded , then when I popped the garden hose fitting whooshed out all over my hand. I knew something smelt hot at work but couldnt locate the source

Hope you heal quick, burns / scalds are nasty and theeres not really alot you can do with them .

tang
    Free Member

Just feeling good for a couple of early season cross races, balls. Great end to a difficult summer.

matt_outandabout

Ouch.

Been there with a colleagues Kelly kettle, only a minor red scar on my arm and wrist to show.

I cut the bungs or whistles off all the work ones now.

Heal quick.

nick1962
    Free Member

tang – Member

They are ace and I will be using again!
    Whislt I can see these kettles have their uses was it necessary for a Sunday stroll with your kids? If you really want a hot drink surely a thermos will suffice? Or a cafe? Is this a case of playing with boys toys, doing the “man ” thing of not even reading the first line of the in structions?It could have been a child’s face!It had to be said 😳 Apologies if I sound like your wife and get well soon.

tang
    Free Member

Well Nick it was my Step mothers anniversary of her passing 4 years ago. I was out with my Dad and brother as well as my family. It was a present from her and we have used it lots, seemed fitting. No you don’t sound like my wife & I have already stated my horror that it could have been the kids. 🙄
    Yes Matt its coming straight off!

poly
    Free Member

I cut the bungs or whistles off all the work ones now.

Is the point of a whistle not that (a) it isn’t a perfect seal thus preventing a pressure build up; (b) there is an audible warning that there is hot steam coming out?

I’ve been toying with a Gillie/Kelly/Storm for a while and so this thread is timely.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Ouch. Hope it heals quick. I slung the bung from my kettle when I bought. Couldn’t really see a use but could see someone borrowing it and doing what you did.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ouch!

Could have been worse if you had petrol..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rbe4zI499o[/video]

tang
    Free Member

It’s only there to stop stuff getting in. Sometimes I fill it and put the bung in then carry to where I’m boiling it and pull it out. This bung is cork so it absorbs steam and swells making a good seal! just a stupid lapse on my part.

kayak23

How’s the wounds doing Tang?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just saw this, sounds nasty.
    Oddly a friend who’s an experienced mechanic once took the pressure cap off a car radiator which was still running after being driven there, took the cap off, and of course it erupted, he instinctively tried to put it back on! Burnt his hands to buggery.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Boiling water burn – my fault and a warning.’ is closed to new replies.