Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Biking 'bum bags'
  • hora
    Free Member

Seen a Dakine one in this months MBR. Anything else? Ideally one that can take a bottle too but isn’t a big wingnut.

Binners feel free to find a suitable Benny hill pic 8)

fathomer

Surely fanny packs are a little fashion biker 😀

hora
    Free Member

Enduro? 🙂 for winter rides c2hrs you don’t need much do you.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Most if the packs sold for runners should do, I use one of these
    https://www.theomm.com/products/packs/ultra-waist-pouch/
    Plenty big enough for a spare layer, snacks and a compact camera – plus nice enduro colorway 🙂

ivnickkate
    Free Member

North face lumber pack? a few on ebay just now

hora
    Free Member

Hilldodger does the bottle interfere at all in the ribs when descending?

househusband

I’ve got the same one as Bolt – the Osprey Talon. Quite surprising what you can get into it, especially with the zipped pockets on the hip belt.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not that I’ve noticed, but I only use a 500ml bottle, a 750 might be more cumbersome – I’d go try a few brands for fit, most outdoor/sports shops have a good range.

jam-bo

Bottle cage and frame bag from beerbabe?

hora
    Free Member

Osprey Talon ordered. Osprey is good quality. Ta 🙂

scotroutes

Any decent “running” pack will do though I’m about to “upgrade” to an Ortlieb.

monkeyboyjc
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time to wheel out my old tale about bum bags…!

I remember a long time ago, a sales event, hosted by a major US bike manufacturer. They’d brought over a big shot US based product guru. They’d fed and watered us well before the product introduction.

Said product guru started to tell us all about their new range of fanny packs.

‘We’ve got the small fanny”
    Sniggering

‘We’ve got a medium fanny”
    Gentle guffawing

‘We’ve got a large fanny”
    Starting to lose it now, the audience were in tears

“And, finally, this year, we’re really proud that this year, we can finally show you our new, extra large, expandable fanny”

Falling off chairs

hora
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a big well-hydrated fanny 😐

legend
    Free Member

Don’t suppose anyone’s tried Specialized SWAT shorts yet?

kudos100
    Free Member

Beats a dry fanny, any day of the week.

tommid
    Free Member

I have a North Face one, two bottle holders and bags of space. I rode the Bear Bones 200 in it the other year and all was good. I like to slacken it off when on the bike and I can even fit it to my Jones loops if necessary.
    Cost me a tenner and has paid for itself time and again.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I can’t bear either the thought or sight of a fanny, so I opted to keep my minimal accoutrements in a little bag attached to the end of the long tube that extends from between my legs.

Andy-R

When I don’t feel like using a Camelback I use one of my old trials bumbags (made by Clover and donkey’s years old), or you could buy one of these –

dknwhy

There was a PSA on the Bear Bones forum a while back which resulted in a lot of us getting cheap Montane ones (Batpack).

I used mine on a 3 day trip to Scotland and found it really useful, instead of carrying a pack. Ditched the bottles out of the side pockets and stuffed a pertex jacket in one and some arm warmers in the other. Filled the rest with usual junk – wallet, keys etc. Holds a surprising amount of stuff.

stumpy01

I’m surprised that these aren’t used more on the road, when on a long ride and wanting to carry a bit more than just the essentials.

I’ve mentioned it to a couple of mates before and they think it’s a stupid idea. I’m yet to try it out.
    One of the potential main drawbacks I see is that the waist band might constantly dig in, which is one of the things that stopping me from trying it.

legend
    Free Member

The “rules” forbid them for road riding I’m afraid

binners

Bum bag, you say?

hora
    Free Member

I’m surprised that these aren’t used more on the road, when on a long ride and wanting to carry a bit more than just the essentials.

I’ve mentioned it to a couple of mates before and they think it’s a stupid idea.

You must confirm. Its not on. Rules etc.

Pook

[video]http://vimeo.com/65540479[/video]

stumpy01

hora – Member

You must confirm. Its not on. Rules etc.

Confirm or conform, hora?? 😀

That’s all the more reason to try it, isn’t it?! Fight the system!

hora
    Free Member

Damned Nexus5 keypad!

JoB
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

One of the potential main drawbacks I see is that the waist band might constantly dig in, which is one of the things that stopping me from trying it.

this

that and the fact that road jerseys have pockets with enough room to put everything in you’d need for a ride
    if you absolutely definitely were determined to use a bum-bag it would strap directly over the top of the pockets and only work if they were empty, so you’re not going to able to carry anything extra over just pockets

which is why people didn’t do it before The Rules were invented

stumpy01

JoB – Member

stumpy01 – Member

this

that and the fact that road jerseys have pockets with enough room to put everything in you’d need for a ride
    if you absolutely definitely were determined to use a bum-bag it would strap directly over the top of the pockets and only work if they were empty, so you’re not going to able to carry anything extra over just pockets

Depends on the length of the ride, doesn’t it?
    I did the Wiggle Dragon ride last year – something like 98 miles and the furthest I had ever ridden, by almost doubling what I’d previously done.
    I had all my usual tube/pump/tool etc. as well as car key/phone/money and a load of energy gels/cereal bars.
    Plus it was cold when we started off, so I had a gilet and arm warmers that I wanted to ditch later into the ride, plus a waterproof as the weather was showing very dodgy for later on in the day.

I ended up with pockets stuffed full, saddle bag stuffed full and one of those top tube feed bags also stuffed full.
    Perhaps it was way too much stuff for a seasoned rider who was familiar with riding 100 miles, but for me it was about right. In fact, I wanted to take sachets of energy powder for my bottles but didn’t have room and as it turned out they probably wouldn’t have been needed.

Judging by the amount of people with similarly bulging pockets/additional bags stuck on the frame and/or people wearing rucksacks, I don’t think I was the only one who was struggling for storage space.

FOG

When I go road riding our group is pretty much split between die hard roadies and mtbers. One glance will tell you which is which and it’s not the riding gear. All the mtbers have a pack/bumbag but the roadies would be rather owned by a rusty spoke than carry a bag. I just find it more convenient than pockets.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I’ve always hated having a backpack on. That wet sweat back- feel never appeals. Imagine Summer riding on the trails with your top billowing around your back freely. Eeeeee.

rOcKeTdOg

My riding buddy has a Dakine copy he bought from an army surplus shop in an on trend camo colour for £15 iirc, only thing dakine has is a bright coloured lining to find stuff more easily

I used a mini frame bag beerbabe made for me or a Jandd mini, this is ok unless you change bikes like you change pants then it’d get costly…Oh, just realise who the OP is

porlus
    Free Member

Thought I would give a “bum bag” a try myself. So got one of these (comes with the bottles)

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifeventure-base-runner-2-67110093?id_colour=124

Got it from blacks for half this price. Think they are all sold out now though.

For drinking I got a source convertube, so can still ride and sup. Not tried it yet, but looks like its going to be ok.

BoardinBob

I use the Dakine “enduro” pack. absolutely brilliant. I hate riding with a proper pack on now. I use it mainly for racing and it carries all the kit I need, with the proviso that there will be a feed station along the way. No water bottle on my bike but I can fit a small runners style bottle in the pack.

hora
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

The Osprey’s arrived. It feels VERY light (almost too light) and although empty at the moment it sits very well.

kimbers

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Time to wheel out my old tale about bum bags…!

did camp america back when i was at uni

me and 1 other english girl, who was lovely, but quite christian, very shelterred life

sitting on logs round camp fire at induction
    american girl sits next to her, “shift your fanny along”
    english girl looks surprised but doesnt move
    american girl, “c’mon shift ya fanny, you might have a small one but mine needs more space”

english girl turns bright red, at this point i decided to intervene

anyway, hora, pics?

hora
    Free Member

I’m not showing you pics of my mangina 😯 😆

Will do on next ride when full.

hora
    Free Member

Ok I sent back the Osprey. and instead I got this

Covered in dirt/dust it’ll look different. On its surprisingly very forgettable and looks alot smaller. I went for the Deuter due to its side pockets for easy accessable kit/reach both sides. A picture with it on me? No 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Biking 'bum bags'’ is closed to new replies.