Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bikepacking colour choice poll!! help me decide!
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Just about to sort the luggage for the new mukluk and wondering what colour to go for. My first thought was black but thought i’d guage opinion. Its going on a gold frame, never had a gold frame before so not really thought about color matching / clashing before..

A few mock ups for you…..

Black

Red

Yellow

Orange

Steel

nedrapier

Wouldn’t go for the grey one, doesn’t look like a very secure colour.

Black for my money, but I’m dull.

NormalMan

Although the sensible (boring) side of me says black, I’m drawn to the red. I think it looks great.

AlexSimon

Black.

Although if you like gold bikes, then maybe you like clashing – in which case go Orange 🙂

BillOddie

Black.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

yellow framepack, red seatpack. Graduated fade innit:

yellow => gold => red.

Some flames on your helmet too.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Blacks in the lead although I really like retro’s idea!

ElShalimo

Yellow is 22% betterer than the others. Fact

oliverracing

but red will be 16.367% faster….

Houns

Black with different coloured stitching/internals

cynic-al
    Free Member

Purple would look pretty good.

chakaping
    Free Member

Black, the rest look rubbish IMO.

Houns

To be serious for a moment, I wish I’d have waited and got either the Orange or Yellow seat pack from them for better visibility on road sections

If anyone has a yellow or orange Koala pack that they’d like to swap for an unused black one (was one of the final sample runs they did) then let me know

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Seems like my it feeling was right then. Do like the other colours but just don’t work with the gold frame.
    Maybe the red stitching to round it off and yellow internals to make finding stuff easier.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Houns how does the sample one differ to the current production ones?
    I could maybe have yours??

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Does anyone use the alpkit Kanga?
    Interested to hear thoughts and see how it actually attached to the bike.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Black

theflatboy
    Free Member

If it was an option, the correct answer would be blue.

postierich
    Free Member

Black! gone kelp for the tarp and bivi bag!
    Houns is such a tart 🙂
    Kanga on its way I also would like to know how they attach to the bars!

Rich

Chew
    Free Member

Houns

Gravity, I’ll have to study it and compare to the version on the site. Alpkit did have a disclaimer stating it may not be perfect as it was still a practice run but I can’t see anything wrong with it

lilchris
    Free Member

The correct answer is of course, black.

jameso

The answer to any colour question is black, or ‘what would Lemmy choose?’ but blue/cyan is a good call above.

SimonR

Hi postierich and gravity sucks …. been messing around with a newly arrived kanga today – photo below.

It’s a great idea but wondering whether it sits too high with my bar-stem set-up and headtube length – could really do with being about 1.5″ to 2″ lower.

The rigid bits in the frame sit against the fork crown once secured in place. Then there are two other straps that secure round the bars. Seems to work just as well either behind all the cables or in front – probably need a couple of rides to decide which.

The bag in the photo is a 13litre Alpkit drybag.

P2151852.JPG by Simon_R, on Flickr

Did try uploading another couple of photos to flickr but they’ve got lost en route – will try again in a bit.

SimonR

Couple more photos of the Kanga ….

P2151846.JPG by Simon_R, on Flickr

P2151850.JPG by Simon_R, on Flickr

P2151851.JPG by Simon_R, on Flickr

AlexSimon

That does look really high. I did a google image search for Alpkit Kanga and couldn’t really see any other examples. I’d send the images to Alpkit and see what they say. They are usually pretty responsive to emails/tweets/etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s worth getting something like self laminating tape below the straps on the bars and fork crown, mine were a right mess after doing the WHW last year.

SimonR

Thanks for the tips folks – I’ve dropped Alpkit an e-mail so hopefully they’ll be able to help out.

Apologies to the OP for crashing your thread – I’d go for black by the way gravitysucks 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s all about the colour wheel people!!!!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers for the pics simon. It does look really high. Could be good for map attachment though. What’s the distance from crown to bars on yours by the way. I’m on an XL mukluk so may not be as high on mine. You think you’d be able to adjust them though….

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Simon can you do me a favour and roughly measure the carbon struts in place (length and width) I’m formulating an idea to utilize the many bottle bosses on the mukluk as a way of securing the frame bag. I was planning on making a carbon strut to run in the frame bag to bolt through and then in to the bottle boses. One on the down tube one in the seat tube then have the webbing across the top. Should make it a lot tidyer and minimise rubbing. If the struts in the kanga are a suitable size I might see if I can buy some from alpkit.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

BLACK

Simon, I got a Kanga the other day, to drop it down a bit simply move the Velcro straps up the rear elastic retaining hoops a bit.

SimonR

Hi again GS – the stiffening struts are about 320mm long and I think they’re circular cross section – probably about 5ish mm in diameter (maybe a bit more). There is a pair of them that run in channels the full height of the Kanga.

Hi JC – unfortunately once I’ve secured it to the fork crown the height is pretty much fixed – I’ve then just positioned the handlebar straps to suit. If I could fit it any lower then it would buzz the front tyre when the forks are fully compressed. It’s not particularly clear but in P2151850.JPG above this vaguely visible.

On reflection, (and looking at the picture of GSs Mukluk) maybe this works better with a rigid fork?

composite
    Free Member

Hmm the design of the Kanga seems a bit wrong to me. Even on their video from a while back it certainly shows it sitting a bit high.

How are you expected to mount lights with that?
    Maybe the Alpkit guys only bivi in the summer? 😉

The wildcat harness seems loads better to me.

dazzlingboy

Small world. Been guddling with a Kanga today too. Guess we all got the same delivery. Mine sits a bit lower than yours – I have a large frame – but still impossible to mount lights which seems like a serious oversight to me. Came with no instructions, nothing on the website etc so thought I was doing it all wrong till I saw your pics. Not overly impressed with it tbh. Seems fairly secure and well built which are the positives but the design seems a bit averagio.

Interested to hear what alpkit have to say. Some instructions/guidance wouldn’t go amiss.

postierich
    Free Member

Fitted mine today and the Velcro straps are very crap!I have changed for some straps which have helped make the fit more secure. Struts seem to be bending a lot, taking the bike for a spin tomorrow. The straps that come with the harness are way to long and will need cutting down, I also purchased a Roo Pouch which will be going back as its tosh 🙁

SamuelLam
    Free Member

Black, because the dirt won’t show up so much.

flatfish
    Free Member

Amazed at the height of the Kanga, first thing I thought of was “lights”.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking colour choice poll!! help me decide!’ is closed to new replies.