Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Beware Solarstorm exploding charger
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Mine arrived yesterday from a UK ebay seller. Plugged the battery to light and it worked fine. Plugged the charger into the wall socket-green led lit up, plugged battery pack in-nothing happened for half a min then the bloody thing literally exploded! Didnt half go with a bang.

Looks to be the same battery pack and charger as the early/original magicshine light and which have been faultless battery/charger wise.

Have contacted ‘UK’ based seller.

Mines probably a one off but just be aware and don’t leave them unattended or put them on an extension cable and in a metal box to charge!

cp

Looks to be the same battery pack and charger as the early/original magicshine light and which have been faultless battery/charger wise.

They have a reputation for going pop too!

I accidentally left my magicshine on charge overnight the other day… the house is still here!

jonba
    Free Member

I agree, I’m careful with mine but statistically, yours going pop is very unlikely. To counter your story neither of my three have gone pop in 5 years.

Charge mine in the kitchen. Nothing flammable and surrounded by granite/tiles.

pussywillow
    Free Member

I had a hope battery that went bang a few year ago, strange init 🙄

pussywillow
    Free Member

I’ve had a load of the China ones and never had a problem, my mates all get the China ones too and never heard them complain either, strange init.

corsair
    Free Member

Maybe the product name should have been a hint. Personally I’d think twice about buying a “Solarstorm Exploding Charger”. Same reason I never use “Cillit Bang”.

robbieh
    Free Member

“. Same reason I never use “Cillit Bang”.

. shame is’nt it! Otherwise we could have been shot of Barry Scott and his amazin turbo power!! 😈

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve had two 12v LED power supplies (LED strips in the kitchen) go pop. Seems a common phenomenon.

w1zard
    Free Member

I’ve had a cheap mains adaptor for a hard disk literally explode in the socket. Left nothing but the metal pins sticking out of the socket. Scared the crap out of me.

However, I have a Magicshine charger and 2 cheap CREE light chargers that I’ve used for 2 years without issue.

I think it can happen to any of them – branded or otherwise, but there’s slightly less quality control on the cheap stuff. Best to take precautions – charge in a fireproof bag or a metal box.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve got a Solarstorm on the way from China right now. Any recommendations for a better charger (and battery)?

RustyMac
    soobalias
    Free Member

has smudge had any batteries go bang?

Im so close to buying the lumenator

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-6600mAh-7-4v-battery-with-pouch-compatible-with-Magicshine-Xeccon-etc-/290971896148?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43bf46c954
    A lot cheaper than the MTB one and bigger battery pack,running 6 18650’ss.for an extra 20quid you get a light,battery and charger of this guy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Beware Solarstorm exploding charger’ is closed to new replies.