Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A mate of mine has bought a new bike…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A time trial bike, a BMC Time Machine. ‘and?’ you might think, well he doesn’t do time trials & he can’t swim very well which rules triathlons out. So why has he bought it? To commute from one side of Leeds to the other thats why.
    He’s one of those who asks for advice then does the exact opposite.
    Do you know anyone like that?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Maybe he’s a strava addict

boblo
    Free Member

Does his STW moniker begin with an M? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A skinsuit for the commute to work as well I hope. Please let us know if he gets his ass handed to him by a weedy man on a Brompton.

nikk
    Free Member

Three and a half grand on ‘the wrong’ bike to commute on…

Looks really comfortable as well. And tasteful. Compliment your friend on his excellent judgment 🙄

Let us know when he gets fed up of it (I give him 2 weeks tops) or it gets stolen (also two weeks tops).

doom_mountain

Clearance for mudguards….? 😉

tomhoward

Every commute is a time trial…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

£3.5k on Ultegra and cosmics? 😆

tomhoward

And no tri bars?

fizzicist
    Free Member

What’s his commute? I love hunting down flash bikes on my Rattly old GT 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe he’s a strava addict

I have to admit I’m thinking of getting the TT out to bag some KOMs – though to be fair that’s only because I’m also thinking of doing a bit of racing on it and do need to get used to the position (from experience I know it’s pretty hard on the neck).

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike and blast past him! The turbulence may knock him over… 😆

jkomo

Yep, my mate wanted a road bike, I found one on sale at CRC, a giant with 105 groupo, for £750. He bought a full carbon with ultegra di2. £3000, Doesn’t ride it.
    Then wanted a bike to ride to work on the canal towpath. I told him to get an Islabike 29er, perfect. He bought an Anthem X1 29er.
    What can you do?

I am expecting to buy them off him BTW.

MoreCashThanDash

I once watched with sympathy while a sales person in a Derby bike shop tried politely to get a customer to accept that a £1k bike would be just as good for him as the £3k carbon full susser the guy clearly wanted to be seen on, as he admitted it was for towpaths….

After 5 minutes he gave up and just sold him the carbon bike. I keep looking for it on ebay….

twoniner
    Free Member

Yes 😐

br
    Free Member

Hora?

iolo
    Free Member

My so called ridiculed my choice of bike on a bike forum “many thanks for that”

You must me a really cool mate to have. You must be fantastic down the pub.

I think you lost your only friend.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who cares, it’s his money to burn

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago and there seems to be a thriving commute bike scene there and I saw a few TT / aero framed commute bikes. They had straight, short flat bars, on one bike they were so short the riders hands were just either side of the stem. However the roads of Berlin are billiard table smooth, clean, super grippy Tarmac, nice wide boulevard style streets all marked with wide cycle lanes and biker friendly drivers.

hora
    Free Member

Who cares? Maybe he has a different ride tastes?

If you asked me today what I’d like roadbikewise I wouldnt say Giant Defy composite. Tried one and loved it immediately.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Every commute is a time trial…

this.

+ what’s the worse that can happen, he sells it to you for a pittance in a few months time?

hora
    Free Member

OP if a friend recommends a car and you then decide to buy something else. How would you feel if he made a public post on the internet about you? Weird communication skills? Effectively bitching behind your back?*

*Yes if he finds this topic and obviously puts two and two together/coincidence.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

OP if a friend recommends a car and you then decide to buy something else. How would you feel if he made a public post on the internet about you? Weird communication skills? Effectively bitching behind your back?*

*Yes if he finds this topic and obviously puts two and two together/coincidence.

Blah blah blah. I told him what I’ve done today at work & he laughed & said ‘I know, it’s me all over cos I ask for advice then buy what I like the look of!’
    He’s done it before, bought a Marin Quake to ride round the Dales on. (which got him fit if nowt else)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A mate of mine has bought a new bike…’ is closed to new replies.