Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best castle* to visit in SE/SW England?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Alright guys could I get some advice on what you might consider the best castle to visit that is within 150km of London?

A friend of mine just suggested doing a good Sunday ride out from London and I thought it could be cool to cycle out to a castle for a look round, a nice coffee and cake and then get the train back, you know like proper roadies do on a Sunday.

*Ideas other than castles will also be considered 😀

So hit me, what would you suggests riding to from London?

aP
    Free Member

Which part of London are you starting from?

jam-bo

bodiam. its got a moat and everything.

winston
    Free Member

Bodiam. Proper castle, no roof, moat, walls etc.

Good pub next door too

Edit- damn too slow!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Corfe Castle in Dorset is about 120 miles ish..

Defender
    Free Member

Leeds(in Kent) or Dover?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Leeds Castle (in Kent)
    Hampton Court or Windsor if you don’t want to cycle too far 😉

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

He lives in Olympic Park, I live in Wimbledon so could start from either of those places or anywhere in between, fairly flexible.

A good long day out is the idea but given the length of the day in Decemeber I guess sub 80-100miles is a good target.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Ah but lads, Leeds Castle has a Maze?! Bonus!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

You could possibly do London – Hever Castle – Leeds Castle- Canterbury Castle/Cathedral – Richborough Roman Fort – Deal Castle – Walmer Castle – Dover Castle and train back in a long summer day.

senorj

Leeds Castle is worth a visit.There’s a really old boozer nearby , can’t remember name…allegedly Henry used to call into it on his way back from shopping and beheadings.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d agree with most of the suggestions above.

Dover Castle is well worth a visit. Wartime tunnels are very atmospheric.
    Bodiam as above is lovely.

Not a proper castle but Knole House nr Sevenoaks is also worth a visit and is in a great setting.

Senor J – is the pub you’re thinking of the Ringlestone? http://www.theringlestoneinn.co.uk/

zilog6128

Definitely Dover. It is awesome plus the wartime tunnels add something unique.

Ah but lads, Leeds Castle has a Maze?! Bonus!

LOL. You are in for a big disappointment if you make a special journey just for the maze! 🙂
    You can have a hot air balloon ride there though!

verses

Could follow the Dunwich Dynamo route into Suffolk and visit Framlingham Castle. Orford Castle isn’t too far from there so could do both in one day and get the train back from Woodbridge/Ipswich.

andytherocketeer

Would say Dover. And you may as well drop in at Rochester Castle (not the best castle), if only to drop by the fudge shop in the high street to pick up a sugar boost.
    Did Bodiam Castle, Battle Abbey and the field that they claim was the site of the Battle of Hastings once as a school trip. Remember one having a proper moat, don’t remember the other, and the 3rd was a field.

Leeds – don’t remember anything about it, despite being a Kentishman.

Certainly plenty of castle options en route to the seaside, and a train back up to town.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Leeds Castle and Dover Castle are both very good. I’ve not been to Bodiam but that sounds like it’s worth a visit.

redthunder
    Free Member

Chepstow Castle, but that 130miles away 🙁 rather than 92.

http://www.castlewales.com/chepstow.html

wrecker
    Free Member

Arundel?

zeffir
    Free Member

+1 Arundel

senorj

is the pub you’re thinking of the Ringlestone? http://www.theringlestoneinn.co.uk/

Had a quick look & not sure , I seem to remember a dead end/gravel road type leading to it. It had a beautiful large garden and very old wooden interior.
    Edit -had a longer look at the pics – looks like the one. I remember reading a plaque or something in there that mentioned it was Henry vIII@s local – real ale man obvs. 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Leeds castle*

*Not the grim northern one.

tenfoot

Leeds Castle is nice, but it costs a fair bit for a one-off visit – £19 or £24 for a year ticket.

As someone up there said, Knole House is nice, just for the grounds, and Dover is great for the military aspect.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I can recommend The Walmer Castle on Ledbury Road in Notting Hill. I used to drink there as a laddo. Good range of beer and great Thai food too. Riding from Wimbledon should only take about 40 minutes. 😆

Moe

+2 Arundel. Great little town & castle.

joepose
    Free Member

Warwick? Bloody nice castle 95 ish miles…

joepose
    Free Member

but not SE or SW dohhhh

maxtorque

(Buckinghamshire)

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’d also recommend Warwick – not been for years but it’s a proper castle with plenty to see / do

cinnamon_girl

Wiltshire too far?

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/old-wardour-castle/

Fabulous setting, not many people hurrah, picnic in the grounds. No tea shop though although the highly rated Beckford Arms isn’t far away. Can’t comment on that as I’m too poor to eat there!

You can walk to New Wardour Castle, it can be seen across the lake.

I can’t wait to go back, gorgeous unspoilt part of Wiltshire.

MoreCashThanDash

Bodium. Looks how a castle should look.

And next to a steam railway iirc

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best castle* to visit in SE/SW England?’ is closed to new replies.