Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Baby seat recommendations?
  • gingerflash

Hello all,
    Not been on here for a while.
    Anyway, it’s time to take TeddyFlash riding so I need a seat for him.
    It’ll be going on my cross bike and will be used on back roads and gentle off-road, fireroads, towpaths etc.
    He’s 9 months old and about 22lb I think, but obviously a seat that lasts a good while would be better.
    The bike is also my winter bike and cross racing bike so a seat that’s easy to remove would be best, probably oe that does not need a proper rack, but a seat-tube clamp.
    What would people recommend?
    Thanks.
    GF.

This is who it’s for: –

mangoridebike

We’ve got a safe t seat http://www.safe-t-seat.co.uk/index.html

its great! It means its very easy to know how they’re doing, you can talk to them and see whether they are enjoying themselves without having to turn around. They can see where their going and become much more a part of the ride, than if stuck out on the back behind you. My daughter loves it and rocks from side to side if I’m not going fast enough.

fitting is easy, you just need 10mm of spacers between headset and stem.

EDIT found a pic

2nd EDIT make sure your son has enough strength in his neck to hold it up with a helmet on. we had to wait past 12 months until we were confident in her wearing it for any length of time.

JonR
    Free Member

Hit them with a baseball bat. Oh seat sorry, wrong thread.

ridingscared
    Free Member

I used a co pilot after being advised the seat tube clamp type aren’t as sturdy- not sure how true it was but worked a treat and would hear the snoring within ten minutes usually. I did get a bollocking for wheelying with my eldest in it though but the counter balance effect made it so easy.

Wullie
    Free Member

I would also highly recommend the safe-t-seat. For the passenger, it’s way cooler to be upfront and involved rather than just getting a view of your backside. The weight on the front means you can still keep a decent speed too on that sort of terrain – ignore the naysayers who tell you it’s unsafe to be sitting up front. I’ve used both and it’s much better. Your knees may skim the side of the seat a bit if your frame is v neat and wheelies are impossible. Also, bright green colour + cute occupant = top babe magnet.

When my passenger reached the 15kg limit at 3 years old, I sold it for about £20 less than the original RRP. Competitive parenting photos from the ad.

barn
    Free Member

Hamax Siesta. Have got two. 1st boy was in at 6 months and still using now, 3 years later.
    Partly ‘suspended’ mounting bars gives a very comfy ride for bumpy tracks.
    Bracket fits on my crossed and MTB despite top pull on seat tube.
    Reclineable, which is great.
    Proper tamper proof buckle. Foot straps.

I rate them.
    Downer: mounting bracket on your bike is heavy/bulky, but easily removed.

He’ll love it, get going.

gingerflash

I prefer the rear seats to those Safe-T seats. given that I’m putting it on a cross bike with 42cm drop bars, I just don’t think there’s room for him up front.

I’m looking at the Hamax Siesta Recliner at the moment. Is this likely to be the best rear seat?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Another Hamax user here – didn’t get BBJnr into it until a little later, but having a bracket on each bike makes switching between bikes a doddle. Lets me drop her off at nursery, leave the seat there and my wife picks her up on her bike later on.

Mike_D
    Free Member

No issues with a Siesta here, used for last four years, second child now passing through it. Just watch for the slightly wonky balance until you get used to it. Front seats are great for slightly older ones, though. Have a Weeride Kangaroo on another bike, which is kind of crude-looking but hugely popular with the passengers 🙂

gingerflash

I’ve just looked at the pics of the SafeT seat being used and there’s no way that would work for me. Seems it needs a very upright position, mine is more long and low.

brassneck

I used a Halfords own brand rear seat – perfectly adequate for the sort of riding you’re likely to be doing with the fella in the seat.

All three have enjoyed the ride immensely regardless of being behind me.
    Has lasted up to a very sturdy 2 1/2 year old too, though I think he’s only going to fit in the trailer hereon in.

Only issue could think of is if your cross bike has a very skinny down tube.. but I’ve fitted it to a early 90s Kona steel thing and it held so you should be OK.

gingerflash

Cross bike is aluminium with a 30.9mm seat post so it’s pretty fat.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Co-Pilot Limo (for the rear type)

It’s a rack mount though but four bolts is easy to remove.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I have a hamax, reclining seat that is sitting in my shed not doing a lot. Hardly used due to injury to myself and thus the little one grew out of it. It fits behind you and attaches to the frame.

If I recall I paid £80 or there abouts year or so ago. I live in the midlands. If you are interested email me and I can sent pictures

ocrider

I’ve just looked at the pics of the SafeT seat being used and there’s no way that would work for me. Seems it needs a very upright position, mine is more long and low.

Yep. You need a few spacers between the stem and the head tube for it to work. But it works damned well, just demands a sit up and beg set-up.

superfli
    Free Member

Weeride Kangaroo is very good. I used to have a rear mounted kids seat, but not good on a FS bike. My son loves the position of the weeride, it probably gives him a good sensation of riding the bike – in fact he grabs the handlebars sometimes and does ride the bl**dy bike!
    Only issues I have with it are:

You have to ride bow legged, so compromises your riding position slightly. Although I did a 35mile ride with him on last w/e and I was fine.
    When they fall asleep, their heads will drop to the side, so you end up having to hold them and riding 1 handed (which I had to do for the last 5miles last w/e!)

Not sure how comfy drop bars would be though!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Baby seat recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.