Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • As a percentage of your take-home pay, how much do you spend on rent + bills..?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Just trying to figure out what is ‘normal’… (I’m always trying to do this sort of thing, as I’m very much unlikely to be!)

I’m currently outlaying 21% of my take-home pay on rent (with bills inc.). It’s a shared house, which is possibly a little ‘trying’ to live with at times.

Would a ‘normal’ person be paying out more?

What’s the consensus on rent vs take home income?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our mortgage is 25% of the household take home but I’m not sure it’s a fair measure.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

21%?
    Try a little harder! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crispo
    Free Member

About 30% for me I think.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My rent is about ~30% of take-home pay.

vinnyeh

I would guess that for a single person on an averagish wage you’re doing extremely well if that includes all the bills for utilities as well. If you rented by yourself (depending on where you are) you might expect to double that.

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15284892

Private rents are now unaffordable in 55% of local authorities in England, the housing charity Shelter has said.

Homes in these areas cost more than 35% of median average local take-home pay – the level considered unaffordable by Shelter’s Private Rent Watch report.

RustyMac

For my Mortgage, Home and Contents Insurance, Gas, Electric, Council Tax, Phone and TV. 50% of my take home pay is gone.

ourmaninthenorth

Mortgage is 30% of my take home, or 19% or our household take home. (on a monthly basis).

Which is completely meaningless as a comparator – we could have a tiny mortgage, or mahoosive incomes (sadly, neither).

As for bills – new house, so still getting used to that.

benman
    Free Member

My mortgage + bills is roughly 50% of take home pay

psling
    Free Member

I’d say 21% for rent and bills (assuming electric/water/heating/tv licence/etc.) is very low.

Pyro

Rent, house bills etc – about 35%
    Add in phone contract, car stuff, etc and I’m up (down?) to about 55%
    I don’t earn a massive wage though, and while bills are pretty low, my rent’s fairly high (though not excessively so for where I live and what I get for my money.)

cupra
    Free Member

For the Mortgage, Home and Contents Insurance, Utility Bills, Council Tax, Phone & TV Licence – 23% or 15% of household income.

cb

currently 110%!! That needs to change soon…

LHS
    Free Member

Bit meaningless without knowing income to be honest

It becomes very different in terms of affordability if your take home pay is £1000 compared to £10,000

birky
    Free Member

No mortgage. Council tax, gas, elec, bt, bband, house ins, tv lic add up to 11%

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hmmmm.. thought I might be being a bit ‘cheap’ 😉

I just totally resent the thought of passing over a fair proportion of a decent living wage that I have finally achieved for the first time in my 34 yr old life – to some b-tard landlord, who will be making even more money (eventually) over time as their property also increases ever in value. It just doesn’t seem right!

Rather spend my money on shiny bike bits, thanks 😀

Wouldn’t mind if my home outgoings were going into a Mortgage on a place I owned, that would be different. But I wouldn’t be able to get a mortgage as a single person on a moderate income.

My rent (inc bills) is £380 pcm, so you do the math 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I put about two thirds of my take home pay into our joint account each month. Why knows what happens to that.

chugg08

Probably also a bit meaningless unless you break it into “essential” vs “non essential” – even then I guess its a based on your perception.

If you add food (household, lunches, kids lunches etc), car (petrol, insurance, tax, repairs etc), other travel, clothing, pets (insurance, food etc), SKY TV, mobiles, kids sports etc you can really start to see where your cash goes – believe the “average” is around 75% on essentials, leaving about 25% for savings, holidays, gadgets.

Pyro

Yup, same boat, n_e_d. Rent plus house bills is about £375, car and essentials another £180 or so, and my take home is not much over a grand. But, like you say, as a single low-ish income individual, a mortgage is a bit of a pipedream…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hope you’re putting at least 29% of your take home into a savings account then Deer, so that by 38 you can be your own land lord… possibly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hard to define as I’m effectively paid twice at the moment 🙂

“at home” I pay the missus about 25% of my basic income and she deals with everything (it’s her flat/mortgage)

“at work” I pay £500/month rent, £150/month bills and get an allowance of about £1500, most of which goes on petrol/car but is gettign better the longer I stay here, Just about broken even this month so when I go back home I’ll in effect have a free car even if it does have an astronomical mileage 🙂 & 🙁

warton
    Free Member

mortgage is roughly 25% of our households takehome pay.

RustyMac

no_eyed_deer

Your rent and bills wouldn’t cover my mortgage payment a month and it looks as though i take home less/ month than you do 😥

gsp1984
    Free Member

Mortgage and all bills (monthly food, elec/gas, water, sky, insurances) comes to around 23%.

I have no other outgoings as I have a company car so no insurance, fuel or servicing.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Nil, I sponge it’s a financial no brainer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm, prob about 80% of my monthly wage is spent on rent, bills and food. Single income currently.
    not ideal, but I owe nothing anywhere so its not ideal, but could be worse!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I hope you’re putting at least 29% of your take home into a savings account then Deer

Nope. I am quite literally pi$$ing it up the wall on bikes 😀 😆

Something I’ve yearned to do ever since I was 16 years old.

I’m starting to wonder whether I should start to take the long view. Hmmm.. 😐

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dear, oh Deer!
    Shortly you will look back at all the money you’ve squandered on bikes and wonder… “why?”, “Did that spangly part really add anything to my enjoyment?”, “Why was I so reckless?”.

mudshark
    Free Member

Don’t get too emotional about rent, it’s dead money only in the same way that mortage interest is. Renting is less risky than buying and involves little in the way of one-off costs. Historically people have done well from buying but in recent years many people have obviously lost value in their property. It’s all about gearing, you can easily double your money with a 90% mortgage but you couls also lose it all and more by going into negative equity.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mortgage is about 20% of our household income. Absolutely no idea what percentage the rest breaks down like (food, childcare, bills etc) but we are broke and always overspend.

Looking forward to next year when my wife ges to work for longer hours (currently just does 20 hours a week term time only).

simon_g

I pay a third of my take-home into our joint account. GF does the same (absolute, not relative – she earns more when she’s actually working. That covers rent, bills, food, most shared expenses like the odd meal out etc. I buy booze (she doesn’t drink) and pay for car stuff (I get car allowance from work and use it 99% of the time).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

LOL @ Southern Yeti 🙂 – very true… 😉

But isn’t money ‘squandered’ on rent equally as pointless..? 😐

I’m not really in a position to start a mortgage thingy.

I’ve been living on student levels of money since I was 18. And now… for the first time ever.. A decent wage!! Yeay!!

Perhaps I should just save it?

That would be dull though.

I’m starting to realise (not for the first time) that I may be being a bit extreme, though.

9 bikes. Living in a househare. 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This was on the BBC website at lunchtime, apparently unafordable is defined as your rent being more than 35% of your takehome income.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Roughly 28, 29%. Shared flat (2 people) rent, CC, gas & leccy.

A bit more with water added on

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sod it, this country doesn’t need savers. It needs spenders. Have you got a credit card? I estimate that on your current salary you could probably get up to £60k worth of credit cards. You might even be able to get a £20k or so loan.

SPEND.

therealhoops
    Free Member

mortgage+bills = bang 50% gone 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

Mortgage is 17% of income
    Bills are 17% of income
    Nursery, Nanny and Cleaner are 26% of income 😯

The other 40% is ours, which equates to a couple of grand

Next March that 26% on domestics will drop to 13% plus my missus will get a juicy pay rise, all things being equal.

this time next year we’ll be millionaires 😕

toby1

This is something I’d never really considered, all I know is we could survive on my income alone, but not my wifes, hence I always keep at least 3 months mortgage in the bank, should proabably keep more there though, just in case!

I guess it’s probably 30-40% though.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I take home around £1700, that’s after take, ni, student loans, pension, share save scheme, computers at work scheme and extra holiday.

My rent is £350 including all bills including gym. I get a company car, and my petrol for work is claimed back. So I’m not to badly off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘As a percentage of your take-home pay, how much do you spend on rent + bills..?’ is closed to new replies.