• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone use Maxxis Highrollers?
  • gixer-chris
    Free Member

And what do you think of them? Im currently using Maxxis Ignitor's and tbh I find them rubbish, no feel what so ever and are pants in the wet. A mate recommended Highrollers, these any good?

alexxx
    Free Member

I think your question should be who doesnt?

most popular tyre in the world id say.

votchy
    Free Member

You will get flamed if you don't like them, I couldn't get on with them but apparently that's because I'm a sh1t rider, the fact I get on with other tyres just fine is irrelevant 😉

robinbetts
    Free Member

They are a great tire, but also consider the Minion, very similar, but rolls a bit better I think.

gixer-chris
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, my riding is crap at the minute because I have no faith in these tyres! My mate uses Minions and wants Highrollers too, again they aren't great in the wet!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Great on the front, I prefer an Advantage on the rear

foxyrider
    Free Member

good grip, good in winter on slippery roots etc but a bit draggy (what tyre suitable for the winter isnt 🙂 )

specialone
    Free Member

I have an super tacky hr on the front and an ignitor on the back, works well for me

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

restlessnative + 1

100mphplus
    Free Member

Well I'm with votchy and think they're crap! I have always used Michelin Comp 16's, the original design that every tyre Manu has coppied since and the grip on the HR edge is pants compared to the Michy.

I can get High Rollers free via a sponsorship deal and I have tried my best to like them, trying all four different compounds, but they just do not grip as well as the Michy.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Got one on the DH bike, but on the back. Quick rolling, but prefer a Minion front for a better grip and still reasonably quick rolling. I think the wet conditions depends on your terrain. I wouldn't say many tires are great in the soaking wet unless you go to a super draggy spike type pattern.
    If one tyre for all the time, I'd say go Minion fronts.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I just find them a bi on the slow side, the Advantage is much better if you're sticking with Maxxis.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I've got two wire bead versions, one a single ply 2.3 60a and the other a dual ply 2.5 42a.

I'm used to Kenda tyres and for a given size I find that the Highrollers are skinnier and maybe a little heavier. But the extra weight is clearly visible in the thicker sidewalls and more sturdy carcass.

I only use Highrollers on the back and compared to a Kenda Nevegal DTC I find that they're probably a bit more predictable at the greasy end of the scale. The tread is much more pronounced so in softer ground this gives an appreciable chunk of extra grip.

On the down side, on really dry and rocky descents I find that the rigidty of the tyre carcass can become wearing.

In terms of the tread, it's OK but I reckon a Nevegal climbs better. The 60a compound seems a pretty handy compound for most conditions and the 42a is for DH only. It's so sticky that it's like riding with the brakes on – it's almost too sticky.

However, I have found that the 42a is far more durable than Kenda's Stick-E compound, yet seemingly as grippy.

So all round, I'd rate Highrollers as pretty handy tyre.

TheDoog
    Free Member

I found them a bit draggy on the uphills, way too much rolling resistance, now running advantage up front and a muntain king 2.4 out back, i know folk dont like the mountain king but the 2.4 version is really grippy.

M6TTF
    Free Member

just fitted a high roller LUST 2.1 on rear of my trek – first impressions not great, frickin tiny tyre, not good in the mud- hopefully the second ride will change my thought

pastcaring
    Free Member

minion 2.3 42a front, hr 60a rear.

best combo i've found for the summer.

stanley

2.35, single ply, front and rear here.

Didn't much like them at first, but have grown to really like them. I initially found that they felt vague and about to let go as I started to lean on them. But they held and I'm now happy to push them harder in turns.
    Used on rocks, roots, mud, loose stuff… the lot really.

Bit draggy though, but what softish compound tyre of that size and grip isn't ?

gixer-chris
    Free Member

Stanley – seems we do the same kind of riding, and thats the same size tyre I'd be running. Might give them a shot and see how I get on. I'm looking at supertacky ones, but dont know if this will give me too much resistance for the climbs I do.

stanley

Just checked…… mine are the 60a compound.

Not sure that I would personally want softer. (about 75kg and on a 5spot).
    A friend put a super tacky on the front and didn't get on with it…. found it to be all over the place to the point of being frightening on tarmac stretches !

hughjengin
    Free Member

Single Ply Minion up front, Single ply Highroller on the back, both 2.35 both 60a, Probably not going to win any xc races with them, but they are on a zesty, so who cares ! Ace combo

duir
    Free Member

For a day in the mountains high rollers 2.35s tacky front, 60a rear seems the best compromise. A bit draggy but it all makes sense on the technical or gravity assisted stuff. A lot of tyres are just made of paper and tend to puncture every 2 minutes so worth carrying a bit of extra drag/weight into the middle of nowhere. Also a tacky minions front on the front is a great setup with high roller rear. Like any tyre in the wet/mud/root don't expect miracles from the roller but it breaks predictably and will often go from under you in slippy conditions just to hook up again quickly. I tried the advantage rear for 1 ride and fixed 3 punctures in 1 hour so only any good if you are very light and ride very smooth trails.

dazh

What's the collective wisdom on tubes for dual ply 2.3 high rollers/minions? I'm off to the Alps for the 1st time this week and have 2.3 HR 42a front/2.3 Minion 60a on the back. I put some downhill tubes in them but they're now so bloody heavy I can barely lift the front wheel off the ground and doing a bunny hop requires super-human effort.

I'm thinking of binning the DH tubes and putting some thin XC ones in as I'm used to the bike being much more nimble than it currently it is but I don't want to be afflicted by bloody punctures in the middle of nowhere.

carbon337
    Free Member

heres a question…

Maxxis ADvantage 2.35 or Maxxis HR 2.3 42a on front of a five?

The chunkier ADvantage or the stickier HR? Mainly for loose pine needles, wet roots and rocks.

gazc
    Free Member

in super tacky guise they're a good all round tyre for DH/alps but wouldnt use them for trail bashing, too draggy and you wont get the real benefits of them if you get the single ply/harder compounds

gixer-chris
    Free Member

Well cheers for the help guys, I'm now thinking of not bothering with high rollers! So… what is a good alternative?

I do long climbs, then a lot of single track decents, bit of DH, and trails with rocks, loose gravel, tree roots and pine needles!

nickc

TBH I'd not recommend Advantage for anything other than gentle pootling about, worst tyre since Conti Vapours.

High Rollers are OK, as long as you can get past the "all or nothing" grip when you get them on the edge. the decently grippy versions drag like an anchor though.

Nobby Nics are doing it for me at the minute, in UST on the front, still looking for a decent rear though.

localhero94
    Free Member

It all depends on your riding style. How far you lean the bike in corners for example will make a big difference on which tyres will suit you – I tried a high roller up front but because I don't lean enough to get the grip from the big side knobbles they felt sketchy to me. Does'nt make them a bad tyre, just not for me. For what it's worth I've settled on a Minion dhf single ply on the front and a racing ralph UST on the back. Suits me perfectly (but may not suit you!)

carbon337
    Free Member

nickc – i have to disagree on the ADvantage. If you get the pressures right they are excellent. The high volume allows you to have lots of flexability with lower pressures.

They also roll fast for gixer-chris's climbs.

gixer-chris
    Free Member

What is the advantage of having fatter tyres? My current ones are 2.35, but some people are wanting 2.5?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Had HR's front and rear, super tacky front, 60a rear. Never again.

Minon Front 42a, minion rear 60a, much better. Persoanlly that combination seems to roll fast also and is less draggy than HR's.

Ardents are pretty good also, they have a smaller tread and roll really fast.

My DH rig though no longer runs maxxis, Der Kiasers all the way. They are much much better and last longer. Not tried the 3C maxxis' yet but there pretty I hear.

moonboy
    Free Member

Err surely it all depends on what sort of riding we are talking about?

Out in the Alps dual ply 2.5 super tacky minion on the front and 2.5 60a high roller in the back has always worked for me. Survived a week at mega with not a single puncture and still managed to hold station on the climbs so all in all a result.

But would i pop them on the (enduro) for a day on the W2? no chance, it would take my weedy leg power even longer to drag myself round on those things. In winter 60a 2.35 single ply minion on the front and the same but high roller on the back is a good wet weather slow-rolling-loads-of-grip-but-gets-you-round option.

But then its still slow on the climbs really. I've been running 2.35 ardents front and rear for over a year now and rate this as a good middle ground. Better than Kenda's or Fat Alberts of similar spec. Never ridden the conti's so can't comment. The Ardents are a big profile so if you stuff up a line through a rock garden you're going to come out the other side just fine. Grip is fine, rolling speed perfectly acceptable etc etc

Its still not a fast rolling setup like crossmarks or something but then i chuck my toys because the front end gives me no grip whatsoever.

whats your point caller? I don't know really, its all personal preference and you need to think about what kind of riding people are referring to when making recommendations.

PS – >deep breath< I hate nobby nics and don't understand all you guys who rave about them 😉

juan
    Free Member

Running HR super tacky in 2.35 LUST on the front. Crossmark 2.25 LUST on the rear…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Maxxis Highrollers?’ is closed to new replies.