Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone here done the Ft Willam Dh Enduro?
  • singletrackmatt

Quick basic question- How far is the run/Pedal at the beginning? 😐

GW
    Free Member

run to bike, ride to the big wallride

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I did it the first year v short sprint – depended on where you put your bike – 15-50 metres. then a good old slog up the hill to the wallride. It'd be easy on a trail bike but on the heavy old dh bike it was not fun.

after that the race was amazingly good fun.

singletrackmatt

I envison sweating a lot in full body armour!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

you taking a camelbak admanmatt? Take one of those with lots of energy drink or whatever in it and a few tasty snacks and you can go non-stop all day if you have no mechanicals. you get a nice rest in the gondola so you can recover then (your arm pump won't recover but the rest of you will 😀 )
    My biggest regret was not going completely flat out and killing myself on the climb. I don't know if they've changed the way the timing was done but the first year the 6 hours started when the leader first crossed the finish line. This meant you'll still be climbing when the clock starts, giving you less time to get the runs in. you don't want to get down to the bottom with 14mins left when it takes 15mins for the gondola to get back to the top!
    A friend who i did it with raced it up the climb and raced it between the finish line / gondola, gondola / start line but despite being ~20-30 secs slower on every run got an extra run in than me – mainly due to his start sprint climb. therefore beating me…

GW
    Free Member

how many runs did you manage, db?

Northwind

Out of curiosity, what route does the climb go? Just straight up the hill via the fireroad? Or do they put you up one of the XC routes? Neither sounds like much fun!

carl
    Free Member

cant seem to find much info on the site,It says sign in 8-10 on Sat,It says bike scrutineering but doesnt say when that is.Is there a chance to practice on the saturday beforehand???

jojoA1
    Free Member

Last year you were able to ride all day until the start of the race if you wanted to. I did a run on the red, one on the DH (my first time ever on it) and then waited til the start. Managed 12 runs in the race.

the run is short, the ride is rather long (considering the bikes we're on).
    Let me see if I can find a map….

jojoA1
    Free Member

The map is of the 'Relentless 24 course', but the DH enduro uphill ride (as you look at the map) goes out along the doubletrack/fireroad to the right of the gondola line (straight, solid black line), the word 'centre' is on top of the first part of it, follow that double dotted line out until it turns back on itself back towards the gondola line. You ride up there until you reach the DH track which is directly underneath the Gondola line and ride back down the the start/finish…. prepare to feel like pukeing in the gondola on the first time round.
    See youze there 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

GW – I think i got 15 runs in, friend was 16 and 18 was the max that day?
    Northwind, ours went up the fireroad so no worries about being held up.

I'm not sure my plan for the enduro was a good one, rode the track the week before to practise and to know exactly what i'd let myself in for then spent the rest of the week riding this on the same bike (marin quake): http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com/guided-holidays-scotland/the-northern-trail-centres
    then back for the enduro the day after!

The day before the race my friend turned up too late to get a practise run in using the gondola (1 minute too late) so we pushed up the track so he could get an idea. 1 hr 30 pushing up!

I am DEFINITELY doing it next year. surely the event can only be bettered by the Mega.

singletrackmatt

Thanks all for the advice ;]

Northwind

dirtbiker100 – Member

"Northwind, ours went up the fireroad so no worries about being held up."

That must be a hilarious climb on a big bike 😆 Have to admit some wrong part of my brain is telling me this is a good idea, even though my arms just about dropped off after one run last time I was there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here done the Ft Willam Dh Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.