• This topic has 187 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)
  • Any reluctants Dads on here? Experiences when you had your first born
  • hora
    Free Member

Friend of mine has found out hes going to be a Father for the first time (not planned/a shock). Hes kinda mixed up- Fear/scared, reluctant (and scared). Is this normal?

Thought all fathers to be were supposed to be grinning, cigar-smoking happy-types? 😯

Futureboy
    Free Member

Totally normal!

sofatester
    Free Member

What is the situation? Married? One nighter?

Makes a huge difference!

hora
    Free Member

Longterm (and very happy) relationship

sofatester
    Free Member

Longterm (and very happy) relationship

A good start!

Do they want the child? Are they both career minded?

hora
    Free Member

Recession, not a goodtime is it?

uplink
    Free Member

If he really enjoys his lifestyle now – things are going to change radically
    Whether or not he'll enjoy his new life as much is up to him

sofatester
    Free Member

Friend of mine

Hang on, we have heard that before on STW!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whether or not he'll enjoy his new life as much is up to him

That sounds about right – he can't change what is now a reality so he should learn (quickly) to embrace it. I am loving being a father (just over six week old twins), but then again we went through IVF and lots of heartache to get where we are and wanted it badly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

When I found out my GF was pregnant I experienced some pretty negative emotions. We had been together less than a year and neither of us wanted kids. We had a massive row over it and things were unpleasant for a while but I MTFU, accepted my responsibility and when our daughter was born 3 weeks ago I was absolutely over the moon. We are back together and looking forward to a future as a family 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

don't worry Penguinious, you will be fine. 😉

Its totally normal to be scared/apprehensive/reluctant when you first find out. Its also totally understandable to be concerned about money.

You will cope. You will learn how to make a quid go further, you will learn how to get by with less sleep and less free time and, most importantly, you will also realise that you never really knew what unconditional love actually was until you hold your own child in your arms.

binners

He needs to ask the following:

Does he place a high value on an active and varied sex life?
    In fact: ANY sex life?
    Does he like sleep?
    ANY sleep?
    Does he quite like having a disposable income that amounts to more than the loose change he can find down the back of the sofa?
    Does he think mountain biking at weekends is over-rated?
    Would he much rather be spending the days looking for …. oh I don't know… a decent nursery?

wors

Recession, not a goodtime is it?

it's never a good time financially cos they cost a fortune.

hora
    Free Member

Changing bikes/parts less often will actually be a blessing. A purpose/new focus so to speak. Its the fear about money mainly.

wors

and why have you changed your name hora?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you will also realise that you never really knew what unconditional love actually was until you hold your own child in your arms.

Jeez – I almost feel like blubbing just reading that – it is sooooo true. The way they look at you as you hold them is magical. I could stare into my two's eyes forever, hold them non-stop. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

ha ha – it's Hora 😀 😀

binners

Have you finally succumbed then Hora? I thought you were immune to her badgering?

And I thought there had been laws passed about you being allowed to breed 🙂

hora
    Free Member

and why have you changed your name hora?

Everyone has that dual name feature on their profile?

mastiles_fanylion- going to remember that when they are screaming at you for not letting them drive your car or see their new squeeze..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

going to remember that when they are screaming at you for not letting them drive your car or see their new squeeze..

A long time till I need to worry about that one – I choose not to think about it yet 🙂

wors

I could stare into my two's eyes forever, hold them non-stop

wait until they get to 2 or 3!

uplink
    Free Member

wait until they get to 2 or 3!

or 12 or 13 🙂

woody2000

They don't HAVE to cost a fortune. Buy sensibly, avoid all the latest, must have baby lifestyle malarkey and it's not too bad. Can't see I've noticed a huge impact on my disposable income, but maybe the not going out is balancing out the cost of nappies, and so the status quo has been maintained 🙂

It's ace, end of. I was shanghai'd (sh*t on , p*ssed on and puked on) by junior w2k t'other day and all I could do was laugh!

hora
    Free Member

You know one of the first things he thought? Will need to get rid of all the bike kit and buy a fully rigid Swift that will last 20yrs 😆 😥

yossarian
    Free Member

right the money thing:

1. Gnless you are on amazing money you will get assistance from the state – child benefit, tax credits and your partner is entitled to 12 months maternity leave, 9 of it paid and her company will have an additional scheme in place where she'll get approx 90% of her salary for a set period.

2. Got a mortgage? take a mortgage holiday for 3/6 months

3. Start putting a few quid a week away now – it adds up

4. DO NOT stress about cots, pushchairs etc ebay is your friend and believe me there will be people queuing up to sell you stuff at cheap rates if you don't get everything from family and friends

Kids cost money, there's no getting away from it but you will get through, you will learn to budget far better than you do now and it will be alright.

ton

reluctant grandad to be………….
    as i type my 17 yr old son is at the hospital with his 17 yr old girlfriend, who is being induced today………… 😥

uplink
    Free Member

They don't HAVE to cost a fortune

Are you sure?

Twins starting uni this year & another one next

woody2000

I meant initially uplink. No doubt they are a financial drain in later life!

nbt

Buy sensibly, avoid all the latest, must have baby lifestyle malarkey and it's not too bad.

This is hora we're talking about. He will kickstart the economy on his own with the amount he'll be spending on designer baby clothes

yossarian
    Free Member

oh and congratulations Hora 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

or 12 or 13

My nieces have just turned 11 and 12 (sisters) and I adore them – if our two are the same, I will be happy. In fact, I am just chatting to them both at the moment on MSN as they both got iPhones for their birthdays (spoiled I know)!!!

mrsflash
    Free Member

let alone the amount of cots/prams etc he'll get through before deciding which is the right one.

Seriously though, congratulations to your "friend" hora 🙂

nuke

DO NOT stress about cots, pushchairs etc ebay is your friend and believe me there will be people queuing up to sell you stuff at cheap rates if you don't get everything from family and friends

For your first child its easy to get sucked into the whole baby merchandise thing and been convinced you must buy everything. We bought loads of junk we never really used and never replaced it by the time our second came along.

This was also true of food and sterlising: for our first, everything was sterilised to within an inch like as if everything was carrying H1N1 and food was all organic baby food. For the second we were much less disciplined with sterlising and our second was on solids much quicker.

porterclough
    Free Member

Perfectly normal to be apprehensive. It's a big change, but then again it's going to happen anyway so no choice but to get on with it.

It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers – once you've become a parent you can't understand why you worried. Apart from the lack of money, time, sleep, and being the least important person in the house from now on.

On the other hand in many ways it makes life a lot simpler – you now have a purpose in life so no existential worries. Just practical ones.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

12 months maternity leave, 9 of it paid

6 + 6 months isn't it, 26 weeks paid – remainder at discretion of employer

binners

Congratulations mate. I cannot believe there are to be baby Hora's

uplink
    Free Member

My nieces have just turned 11 and 12 (sisters) and I adore them – if our two are the same, I will be happy.

yeah TBH – that's not a bad age really
    13-15 for daughters is difficult for a lot of folks

hora
    Free Member

On Cots etc. My 'friend' has already started on this…with the 'green' angle on his SO (reuse friends's kit etc- dont waste the planets resources). Don't buy many toys as the dog will have them…let friends buy/donate things.

My mates son is 14. His Stepmum (a good friend of ours) walked in on him 'learning about his body' is probably the best way of describing it. She then made the mistake of telling me and ever since I wind her up royally!! 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

13-15 for daughters is difficult for a lot of folks

I bet it is – I have crucified my brother relentlessly for the last 11 years about having two girls coming into their teen years so close together and all the hassle it would bring.

Then have twin girls of our own. LOL!!!!

lowey

Kids are both the most rewarding thing in your life and the biggest source of stress all at the same time.

They are, however, ace.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Any reluctants Dads on here? Experiences when you had your first born’ is closed to new replies.