Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 9/10 speed HT11 crank arms?
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve done a search and people seem to be asking about the compatibility of chain rings etc but what about crank arms?

Without getting all technical I can’t see any reason at all why I can’t swap the rings on my 10 speed cranks to 9 speed rings and run it with a full 9 speed system?

I can’t believe that shimano have completely redesigned their crank arms?

Any one done it? any problems?

neninja
    Free Member

At least visually the XT M770 9 and 10 speed cranks look the same. I think the difference in spacing is on the rings.

Not so sure about the M780 cranks though as the rings are different on them to the 770’s.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Exactly what I was thinking, they’ve only played with their rings!?!

raisinhat
    Free Member

The 780s are 10 speed only now.

I don’t know about crank compatibility, but since a few people on here have run 9 speed rings with 10 speed at the back, it’s probably ok. Ymmv.

warpcow
    Free Member

When I looked into it ages ago, I remember someone on MTBR saying that the distance between the rings on a 10-spd chainset is narrower (they claimed the difference was in the width of the tabs on the spider, not the rings). Iirc, the difference was only 0.00[something] of a millimetre. Of course, they could have been talking rubbish too.

I should add that this was when Shimano were just introducing 10-spd, so no one had really tried it.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

How did you get on with this? I’m looking at keeping my xtr M970 chainset but changing the rings to suit 2×10 speed.

takisawa2

I’ve run 9 & 10spd on both Deore & XT770 cranks, with various shifter & front mech combinations, & had no problems. Also 10spd ran fine on the 9spd rings (Deore & older XT760), that I had. Only issue was running on a Surly Stainless ring, but that’s a bit too wide for 10spd anyway. Worked but felt / sounded a bit tight, if that makes any sense.

I can see the logic if they did reduce the gaps between the front rings, as it might create a better chain line, & less side load on the chain when running into the ratio overlaps.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Yeah I hear what you’re saying bud… Think i’ll go for slim line rings and give it a shot! For the sake of £400 on new cranks anyway. Tbh… I’d probably opt for a X.O carbon crank if that was the case. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘9/10 speed HT11 crank arms?’ is closed to new replies.