Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 2015 Diverge Expert – First ride review
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Finally got round to picking up my new dandyhorse from the LBS today. Had a nice day of riding planned, from the shop to my parents for a spot of lunch, as Mrs CFH and the offspring were over there as well. Then, on back home after that. About 25 miles for each part. Seemed a good idea, as it would give me a chance to have a fettle and iron out any little issues after the first half. As it happens, didn’t need to. Lunch was nice, though.

Wiltshire through to North Hampshire, on a very stormy, rain lashed day. Back roads and more.

Stopped at the top of a climb to get my breath back and take a photo.

Stock build, spec as per the linkage apart from;

Time XC8 pedals – Didn’t seem right to have a road pedal on it, and I just really like Times.
    Garmin Edge 1000 – Well, felt like a treat!
    Two Elite Cannibal cages – One of the mechanics at the LBS had these lying around. Nice.
    Saddle bag – Don’t care what you think!

So, to start with the negatives –
    Brakes – A little noisy at first, which was rather annoying through town, but thankfully this cleared up quickly.
    Hoods – They’re a little odd shaped, and it’s taking some some getting used to. Still not 100% happy with the bar/hood angle, but it didn’t have a massive impact on the ride.

That’s that over with. Now, the good bits.
    Weight – With pedals and bottle cages – 19.1lbs. Now, I reckon that’s pretty good for a tough old beast.

Stiffness – Through axles on a road bike? Well, it’s not totally a road bike (See below!) but why not? I’m never going to race, so speed of QR is irrelevant. Plus, it means the discs are always going to be perfectly aligned. Braking, climbing and pushing hard all felt brilliant.

Ultegra – Crisper than a crispy thing. Lovely, light shifting.

Frame, fork, post, not sure! – Almost felt like some sort of softail-esque suspension happening at times. Maybe it was the phatt tyres, maybe it was the “Zertz” (Bad name, Spesh!) inserts, maybe it was the *I can’t bring myself to name it it’s so awful a name* seatpost, but it was soooo smooth and comfy.
    Saddle – Ti railed Phenom. Swapped the stock one for a wider fitting for my posterior’s needs. Surprisingly comfortable.
    Tyres – Phatttttt (enough t?) and soft, running at 95psi. Loads and loads of grip through the wet leaves, mud and general wind blown muck of rural lanes.

Oh, and before you ask, yes I did get on some grrravel.

NormalMan

Good overview.

Genuine question, how do ‘gravel’ bikes differ from CX bikes? Geometry? Marketing? Something else?

I’m thinking something along these lines might work as a winter road bike / fun bike for ‘just riding.’

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think the difference is that a “gravel” bike is more aimed at someone who wants a comfy, fast, roadish bike that can take a bit of the sort of track shown above. A proper CX bike is aimed at smashing around a muddy field for an hour. CX bikes are definitely better off road, but this is still, sort of, a road bike.

winter road bike / fun bike for ‘just riding.’

That’s why I bought it! I wanted something to just go and ride. Sometimes I might see a trail leading off a road and think, “Hmmm, I wonder”. With this, I can go up there, have a nose around and then decide if I come back another time with the MTB. I can also ride awful roads, in awful weather, in comfort. As above, I’m never going to race, so something fast enough for the road, with some broader capability was what I wanted.

ton

gentlemen of a certain age should seccumb to their inner lustings.

just buy a tourer…….. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

dandyhorse

spot of lunch

fettle

Grrr!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, haven’t you realised I do it all for you? 😀

Ton, I’m not that old. Yet. It does have mounts for mudguards, rack and lowriders, though! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, haven’t you realised I do it all for you?

1 and 3, yes. 2 that’s all you.

Anyway. Looks very nice. Good to see they didn’t go half cocked, and did the axles front and rear.

How rough you reckon you could get with it? Guessing anything tarmac/gravel based is ok. Mud based less so, due to clearance issues?

Edit: Non-US Spesh link: http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/road/diverge

NormalMan

I’m not sure if I should thank you CFH or not but I’m now checking out the range!

I have 2 very racey road bikes and an older Allez. The Allez sits on the turbo mainly but I’m thinking something more interesting for winter rides plus fast enough for easy rides when the wife drags her Dolce out.

Very interesting. I’ll say thanks although my bank balance might disagree 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good to see they didn’t go half cocked, and did the axles front and rear.

Sadly, only the top end* one has both ends bolt through. Some (1?) of the lower end ones in the UK have the same fork as mine, which is bolt through and internal cabling.
    *There is an S-Works, Di2 version, but not being brought in to the UK. AFAIK, mine is the only Expert Carbon in the UK until some time around the end of December! 8)

How rough you reckon you could get with it? Guessing anything tarmac/gravel based is ok. Mud based less so, due to clearance issues?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5sJg05BJXw[/video]

Saw this after I’d bought it. Pretty rough appears to be the answer!

Looks to me as if it will take a narrow CX tyre, around a 30? I reckon it could take a lot of mud with the right tyre, am looking around for something to add to the collection. That said, I like the “bit of everything” capability as it stands. It’s not an off road bike, but also, it’s not exactly a road bike. Around my way these days there are many awful lanes, many lovely, alluring track and trail type bridleways. This is the right bike for that.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Very nice! Another bike I think I definitely need…

NormalMan

tizzzzle – Member
    Very nice! Another bike I think I definitely need..

Exactly! I took the Allez off the turbo and out for a spin between showers today. It was nice and comfy, etc. I did think that it needs a few tweaks like 25mm tyres and better brake blocks which then got me thinking back to this thread and feeding the ‘new bike’ buzz!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

25s?

So last year, dahhhhhhling!

😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just look at the COBBLE GOBBLER!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where’s Jamie’s duck picture?

crazy-legs

CFH: any pics of the fork with its internal cable routing & bolt thru please?
    One thing that bugs me about disc braked road bikes at the moment is the wild variations in “standards”. Not going to go for anything that requires proprietary wheels or is designed for the company’s own 8.3mm tapered axle or some such bollocks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hoods – They’re a little odd shaped, and it’s taking some some getting used to. Still not 100% happy with the bar/hood angle, but it didn’t have a massive impact on the ride.

“sti to the sky” – way to go 😛

Stiffness – Through axles on a road bike? Well, it’s not totally a road bike (See below!) but why not? I’m never going to race, so speed of QR is irrelevant. Plus, it means the discs are always going to be perfectly aligned. Braking, climbing and pushing hard all felt brilliant.

NO danger thru axles contribute to any of that on a rigid frame. Why not? ANOTHER FRIKKIN POINTLESS STANDARD

Tyres – Phatttttt (enough t?) and soft, running at 95psi. Loads and loads of grip through the wet leaves, mud and general wind blown muck of rural lanes.

You’ll need zertz if you run that pressure…or are you a fatty? Never seen your pic, funnily enough.

ton – Member
    gentlemen of a certain age should seccumb to their inner lustings.

just buy a tourer…….

He did, it’s just a pretence that it’s something else “new”!

And he’s not as old as you surely?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not enough spoon for you, Al? 😉 I wanted a tougher version of a road bike for comfort, speed and the ability to go lots of places. This fitted MY requirements perfectly, thanks! Also, through axles make a massive amount of sense on any frame running discs, as they ensure perfect alignment and reduced twisting under braking. But then, as a luddite, I assume you’re still rocking a hobby horse! 😉 No new “standards” since then. Such as gears, brakes, etc. 😉

CL, some pics to illustrate. Some are of the S-Works version. Same frame, but with Di2 and more pimp. Hose routing is the same, though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m very happy that you’re very happy with the new steed in your stable, I’m just not toeing the industry line on thru axles (among other marketing led stuff)

Never had a disc alignment issue with 10+ years of discs and QR…

crazy-legs

Thanks CFH.

The Tarmac Disc looks ace but uses some weird proprietary rear wheel specific to that bike, nothing else fits due to the disc spacing and the need to keep short chainstays.

Same with any bike using own brand thru-axles (that new Storck Aernario Disc). The Saracen Avro at least has the decency to use MTB standard 142×12 but that’s still incredibly limiting for road wheels.

And most forks are still just running the hose down the outside with zip ties which looks plain wrong – at least your Diverge has disc specific forks, I like that. Smart looking bike Mr Flash.

Jamie
    Free Member

I found with mech discs on my CdF, that alignment was an issue after refitting a wheel. That was with Spyres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

that’s still incredibly limiting for road wheels.

I’ve been looking at wheels closely, as that’s the first (major) upgrade planned. I believe I’m going to be able to run 29er Hope Tech XC wheels in there. Pro IIs, which would be awesome, and the rim profile is pretty much the same as a normal road rim, but with tubeless capability.

doof_doof
    Free Member

£3k and it’s still the best part of 20lbs. Spesh fan boiz will buy anything.

Jamie
    Free Member

£3k and it’s still the best part of 20lbs. Spesh fan boiz will buy anything.

…and apparently has crap wheels that need upgrading 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Doof, do show me something better, as I am sure you know everything about everything….So, lighter, stronger, better in every way. Go on.

Jamie
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That is rather hideous, though, Jamie! 😀 Besides, I was very well looked after fiscally on the Diverge!

Jamie
    Free Member

fiscally

You spelled sexually, wrong.

….seriously, tho, bike is £3k. We talking more than 10%?

steezysix
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘2015 Diverge Expert – First ride review’ is closed to new replies.