• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • anagallis_arvensis

Because the only other options are Hook and Morgan or Anscombe who is injured and Patchel who Gatland doesntcseem to like.

IdleJon

Welsh teams have lots of previous form in putting the worst choice player on the pitch. Politics normally but I’m not sure why in the case of Priestland.

(Going back years Aled Williams, Swansea no 10, was extremely talented but never picked by Wales in position – he was played on the wing in one game iirc. The rumour was that he’d shagged Bob Norster’s sister, wife, dog, whatever. It was such a widespread rumour that he was even asked about it on TV after he’d retired, to much amusement because he was aware if it. He denied it. 😆 )

namastebuzz
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

You’ve got to play both your 7s against England – surely?

Why?

To win.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Brian Moore tells it like it is:

It must rankle with Cipriani and others, whatever they say in public, that the selection parameters of experience, promise, performance in training, opportunity to state a case, loyalty and so on are highlighted or downplayed according to each player.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the case of recent union convert, Sam Burgess. His experience and achievements in League are outstanding and are evidence of character and talent. They have limited relevance to union until they are backed by solid performances at all levels in his new code.

Burgess’s case remains one of hope and promise on the field; none of it is public.
    To those who say he brings something different or special, you have to ask what is it and when will we see it? Presently there is not one game to which you can refer that supports any of the claims made. There is no Burgess performance which strongly hints, let alone proves, that he is egregiously better than many other players available.

Perhaps the most contentious of all the claims made for Burgess is his presence and its effect on the squad. If you have not played at Test level and, more importantly, not had tournament experience, you cannot appreciate how much difference one player can make, positively or negatively.

Even if you have, you cannot definitively know what Burgess brings to this squad because you haven’t seen and experienced it. If it is as important as made out then it might justify selection but if he is not a starting Test player then the case for his direct affect on the team is weakened.

What nobody should pretend is that his selection is not a gamble, the extent and wisdom of which can only be decided later.
    This leads to the legitimate question of why the gamble had to be made now, without waiting for Burgess to furnish proof of his union credentials?

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    You’ve got to play both your 7s against England – surely?

Why?

To win.

How would that help?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

How would that help?

Well it helped when you thrashed us 30-3 at the Millenium.

anagallis_arvensis

No you got thrashed then because the front 5 mangled yours. The question is I suppose is what you lose by having Warburton at 6 made up for by the “extra” Tips does or by Warburton at 6 being better than lydiate. Gatlands game plan is built around physicality so Warburton is better than Tips at 7 and Lydiate had a good game v ireland. Tips extra wide linking is not that much of a help in Gatland ball with our Big straight running backs. If we.had a backline like Aus it might work but we dont. Tips is a damn good back up and if Lydiate or Warburton (or Not Toby for that matter) got broke he would come in and do a job or he is a very good impact sub of the bench.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah all good points but Tips seems too good to be on the bench and England seem better equipped to deal with Lydiate/Warburton than they would be to deal with Tipuric/Warburton.

anagallis_arvensis

You might be right but Gatlandball is built on massive defence and massive defencex10 will be needed at Twickenham. Tips can come on later if we need to chase.

DanW
    Free Member

England seem better equipped to deal with Lydiate/Warburton than they would be to deal with Tipuric/Warburton

I think that is one of those cases where what looks easy to deal with on TV is far from easy if you are in the thick of the action. It’s a bit like saying Roberts doesn’t do alot, just runs in to contact and is easy to tackle. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to have to deal with him and you can guarantee the fatigue of tackling him and the other big runners non-stop and the subsequent gaps that might appear in the next phases is worth something more than first meets the eye.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I think Roberts is one of the reasons Burgess is included. Strong defence and a good organiser.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I think Roberts is one of the reasons Burgess is included. Strong defence and a good organiser.

Who Burgess? Is he? He puts the odd big hit in yeah, but you expect that of a bloke that is bigger than almost everyone else. Good organiser though……he really isn’t…..he’s out of position frequently in the centres in defence for starters.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good organiser though……he really isn’t…..he’s out of position frequently in the centres in defence for starters.

^^This^^

Which means that even if he does manage to stop Doctor Desperate Dan*, the good doctor can just offload to someone running at the gap where Burgess should have been.

*Admit it, you’ve never seen them in the same room. 🙂

Kryton57

Is Lancasters theory perhaps, not yet realised.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As a bit of light relief, I see that England have a new star in the making for this game;

🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Given that Dion Dublin managed to break his neck running into someones chest in a footy match, I’m not overly hopeful of his surviving a rugby match!

Loving that Martin Offiah is included as a celeb too 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Loving that Martin Offiah is included as a celeb too

Well, the rest of the ex-pros were rugby players, you see.

😉

IdleJon

Louie Spence? My wife wants to get BT Sport now.

loum
    Free Member

Possible Ireland World Cup squad:

Props: Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Mike Ross, Nathan White, Tadhg Furlong
    Hookers: Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss
    Locks: Paul O’Connell, Devin Toner, Iain Henderson, Donnacha Ryan
    Back rows: Jamie Heaslip, Sean O’Brien, Peter O’Mahony, Chris Henry, Jordi Murphy
    Halfbacks: Conor Murray, Eoin Reddan, Johnny Sexton, Ian Madigan, Paddy Jackson
    Centres: Robbie Henshaw, Darren Cave, Jared Payne.
    Outside backs: Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Simon Zebo, Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney.

Happy with that. :mrgreen:
    Feel a bit for Marty Moore and Andrew Trimble, their injuries look to have held them back. 🙁
    Tadhg Furlong must be buzzing. Good young prop who’s not let Leinster down when needed.
    And Darren Cave covering centres looks a stronger group than most predictions.

loum
    Free Member

possible confirmed squad

DanW
    Free Member

Is Chris Henry back playing now? I think Ireland really need someone like him or SOB to be in form. Likewise if Sexton can get some form and the props find a brain cell to share between them then the squad looks pretty strong

DanW
    Free Member

As another light distraction, this funny rugby film clip popped up on Rugbydump 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

That’s the film that Invictus should have been!

mark88

Since he seems to divide opinion here, you may enjoy the analysis on Tipuric v Ireland on Rugby World

anagallis_arvensis

Tadhg Furlong must be buzzing

AWJ’s knee still is following his late tackle.

DanW
    Free Member

Indeed, that wasn’t great. Very late

duckman

Vern Cotter can suck my boabie.

anagallis_arvensis

What does Barclay have to do, apart from find a few kiwi grandparents?

anagallis_arvensis

England: Mike Brown (Harlequins); Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby); George Ford (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers); Joe Marler (Harlequins), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Geoff Parling, Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (capt, Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby).

Replacements: Jamie George (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Sam Burgess (Bath Rugby).

So is that the first choice selection apart from Launchbury for Parling and B Vunipola for Morgan?

Going to need a big **** reinforced bench for that lot!

Kryton57

Yup. Expect Billy V on for impact and – if we are winning – Burgess later with f’real to kick. Really good to see Barrit play in his club position with JJ outside and neither positioned stupidly. The Welsh shoved the Irish around a fair bit last week and it looks as though well do the same.

Let’s pray we win is and can make a positive statement….

DanW
    Free Member

So is that the first choice selection apart from Launchbury for Parling and B Vunipola for Morgan?

… and of course Burgess starting too in the first choice 15 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Controversial Scottish squad selection. Barclay and Harley very unlucky to miss out imo.

Forwards (17):

Hookers: Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby). Props: Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons). Locks: Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors). Back-rowers: David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), John Hardie (Unattached), Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors).

Backs (14):

Back three: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Maitland (London Irish), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Harlequins). Centres: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Vernon (Glasgow Warriors). Fly-halves: Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors). Scrum-halves: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors).

duckman

And Cowan! Strokosch is past it,Strauss has never played and can’t yet and Swinson has been broken. Add in Hardie,who will be a find…But unlike Barclay is unproven. What is the point of being a young player here?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Cotter must really rate Hardie. Very surprised both Barclay and Cowan missed out. Still, they have one more genuine openside than England do.

I’d have had Big Jim Hamilton in for Swinson – for the comedy value he provides if nothing else….. 😉

duckman

I think it is that comedy value that has cost him…Swinson plays the same role,but is a bit delicate. Not as if taller Gray is a wee shrinking violet these days either.

I am going to type something I never thought I would…

Scotland have a really good set of backs there

BlindMelon
    Free Member

AWJ’s knee still is following his late tackle.

That was late, I agree. Is AWJ arse ok though? Henderson fairly set him back on it 😀

Reasonably happy with the Ire squad but gutted for Trimble, I suppose they must have thought he hadn’t had enough game time. I still think he offers a different dimension and greater physicality than Earls or Fitzg.

Hopefully the Wales game was our poor performance. The backrow esp Murphy were really poor, made Tips look good IMO. The pack against Eng is likely to be much stronger with Best, Toner, Ross and SOB back.

Can’t believe Scotland aren’t taking Cowan, he’s a great player

namastebuzz
    Free Member

duckman – Member

I am going to type something I never thought I would…

Scotland have a really good set of backs there

Indeed.

Plus Sean Lamont….. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

That was late, I agree. Is AWJ arse ok though? Henderson fairly set him back on it

His arse is fine, his knee is ****. Wont make the first game and given the fact we have 5 locks including Dom Day in the squad I’m very worried that he wont make it at all.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Maybe someone can enlighten me or possibly I have the wrong end of the stick but has the Springbok squad been chosen with a minimum 30% non-white quotient for political reasons?

Kolisi in over Brussouw and Paige over any number of other Scrum Halves for example.

Surely positive discrimination in favour of non-whites is as wrong as discrimination against them.

SA obviously has to reform its rugby system to get more blacks into the higher levels but surely they should get there on merit?

IdleJon

Kolisi in over Brussouw

How good/bad is Kolisi in your opinion?

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.