Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 265 total)
  • 18/09/2014.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

as far as I know this is a unique occasion in Scottish history

Apart from 1979, when Scotland voted for independence, but the government didn’t like that result to retrospectively changed the rules 😉

Yes from me too. It’s about self-determination, we should be able to choose our own government, good or bad.

footflaps

On a serious note, lets say the first vote fails, but say by just a few %, do you think they’ll just keep repeating it until they get a yes? Obviously if they get a yes the first time, they’ll not be re-running it again any time soon….

scotroutes

Yes.

Alex Salmond has said there wouldn’t be another referendum while he was in power. However, regimes change….

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ll be voting yes. I worry that i’m abandoning England to Tory rule though.
    I’m by no means hopeful we’ll win, too many people up here seem to be immensely proud of Scotland without having much confidence in it.

Rockplough
    Free Member
    gordimhor

Bencooper think the 79 vote was for devolution, but either way the 79 referendum was rigged

piemonster

Despite having a vote, I think I shall abstain.

Not being ‘local’ and all that. I do hope folk can get through it as best as possible without being dicks about it.

CountZero

Anyone read Charles Stross’s books Halting State, and Rule 34? His descriptions of an independent Scotland are rather interesting. He currently lives in Scotland, I believe, and has an outsiders view of how things might work out.

Beagleboy

I’m very proudly British, and quite frankly don’t think that Scotland would be the nation it is if it wasn’t part of the Union.

piemonster

Why?

And what would it be?

Rockplough
    Free Member

don’t think that Scotland the Union would be the nation it is if it wasn’t part of the Union for Scotland.

ftfy

mintimperial

Don’t leave us, please! 🙁

If Scotland goes I’ll be lobbying for The North to secede. Perhaps we can bring Wales along too and form a United Republic of Everywhere In Great Britain That Isn’t Populated By Complete Gits (And Leeds).

piemonster

That sounds good, just carve off the south east and kick it out to sea.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I thoughy the English purchased Scotland fair and square after the Scots Darien disaster – do they get a refund (disinterested of Wales)

scotroutes

Payment made to the nobles of Scotland at the time of Union was in return for Scotland taking on a share of the national debt of England. I’m sure we could pay it back if we’re wiping out our share of the current national debt 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

I am a proud Scot who is happy to be in the union. I feel no crisis in identity and like institutions such as the BBC. Unlike many I don’t feel downtrodden. The mere mention of Tory, London and Westminster from Salmond has many nationalists foaming at the mouth.

Salmond and many others cite the War in Iraq as an example of a government taking Scots to war against our wishes. Unlike the English who it appears were keen to go to war. Lets not forget that it was a government WE in Scotland voted for that took us to war.

I also don’t wish to consider my wifes family in England as foreigners.

I also feel a hint of pity to those that want rid of us. You would be saying goodbye to a great part of the UK. Perhaps there is a sense of jelousy hidden below a veneer of ill informed jingoistic xenophobia.

oldnpastit

gordimhor

Labour took us into the iraq war based.. on a lie. Alex Salmond spoke out against the war.

athgray
    Free Member

Perhaps we should have voted in larger numbers for such a great man sooner.
    I don’t doubt he has a bit of charisma. But we are in danger of playing personality politics with the highest stakes possible.

bawbag
    Free Member

Fair points athgray but don’t you fancy trying to do things better than they are now? If the undemocratic house of lords had been abolished and proportional representation been brought in then I might be more likely to keep things as they are. As it is, Westminster is never going to modernise and will continue to drift further out of step with other forward looking nations and will never represent the views of the people who live in Scotland.

I won’t ever think of England as a foreign land, we do have a lot in common after all. Hadrians Wall will remain in ruins.

br
    Free Member

Simples.

All you English buy somewhere in Scotland by mid-2014 and then you can vote for independence. Then move back home. 🙂

And remember, none of us are actually (legally?) English, Welsh, Scottish or NI, we are all UK/British.

In fact, since I live in Scotland, does it mean that if it becomes independent I’m automatically a Scot, or do I need to sign up specifically, or can I keep my UK passport?

athgray
    Free Member

I don’t disagree that the parliament in Edinburgh is a bit of a breath of fresh air in relation to Westminster. Perhaps I am being overly hopeful that changes can be made such as the adoption of PR. I still don’t personally see that Westminsters faults should be enough to drive a wedge between our countries, which is what I think can happen next year.

gordimhor

I am not sure what Scottish labour position on the Iraq war was, I’m guessing they would have taken the party line from Blair maybe if the government had been honest with us we wouldn’t have gone to war that’s a moot point now. But I believe all the decisions would have been taken in Westminster. I for one don’t think that voting for independence will really affect my friends and family who are not Scottish or living in Scotland. Don’t believe it will change the way I think of them. That’s probably because I think of myself as Scottish and I don’t have a strong sense of British identity.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I also feel a hint of pity to those that want rid of us.

why, after all the years of being blamed for all your woes people get bored and fed up with it all

You would be saying goodbye to a great part of the UK.

why? once you have been screwed over for re-entry into the EU, have your monetry policy decided in London or Brussels, you will be begging for tourists to support your rural economy

Perhaps there is a sense of jelousy hidden below a veneer of ill informed jingoistic xenophobia.

the times I have seen it come out are when somebody is trying to claim that XYZ place is wonderful and tied down by the English and usually accompanied by their own version of “jingoistic xenophobia”, the usual return comment is “if it’s so wonderful why don’t you ****-off back there”

personnally I’m agnostic on the whole issue and I think Wales could pottentially benefit when a significant part of the MoD moves south post independance. I don’t have a vote. Lots of Scots by birth don’t have a vote, lots of EU nationals do have a vote. If it’s a tight result it could be decided by non-Scots votes

bawbag
    Free Member

I’d hope that relations would improve post-independence. With no political points to be scored and clearer boundaries we could have a proper grown-up agreement between two countries.

scotroutes

TBF most of the “personality politics” are being played by the No campaign.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

In fact, since I live in Scotland, does it mean that if it becomes independent I’m automatically a Scot, or do I need to sign up specifically, or can I keep my UK passport?

ask Alex, he has all the answers 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t personally care one way or the other – i probably wont even notice the difference to be honest.

I would like to know though, how the rest of the UK can be considered a ‘rump’ when approximately only 10% of the population would be leaving?

Oh, just realised i WOULD notice the difference – we could have our daylight back! 😛

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I am not sure what Scottish labour position on the Iraq war was, I’m guessing they would have taken the party line from Blair maybe if the government had been honest with us we wouldn’t have gone to war that’s a moot point now. But I believe all the decisions would have been taken in Westminster

decisions by the expat Scot Tony Blair and the Scottish Westminister Mp for a Scottish constituency Gordon Brown?

which one of them made the decision that despite Saddam having weapons of mass destruction at 45mins to deployment over half the British forces crossing the Line of Departure wouldn’t have the appropriate NBC equipment ❓

scotroutes

It’s quite likely that you could end up with some form of dual nationality. Check out the Irish Republic for an example of what could happen.
    What part would that be? The MOD footprint north of the border is much smaller than you must believe.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s quite likely that you could end up with some form of dual nationality.

the Scottish passport when you open it will have Mel Gibson shouting “you’ll never take our freedom” like those novelty cards you get 😉

athgray
    Free Member

big n daft
    If its a tight vote it could be decided by kids

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Why not? They are the ones who will have to deal with the results in the long term are they not?

I’m looking forward to seeing how a late medieval concept will translate into the C21st.

athgray
    Free Member

My son is 4 and my daughter is 10 months. I am sure any decision made next year will not affect them?! Do we think we made our best decisions at 16?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What part would that be? The MOD footprint north of the border is much smaller than you must believe.

is is a lot bigger than that in the North west of England or Wales, both areas will be glad of the change in direction for MoD spending post independance

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I’m in, where do I sign.

I do feel a bit sorry for many down south, when we go what’s it going to be like?

Sorry to everyone in England who wants Scotland to stay part of the union, but it’s time to go

althepal

is is a lot bigger than that in the North west of England or Wales, both areas will be glad of the change in direction for MoD spending post independance

Would be interested to see some stats on that if anyone has them?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

big n daft
    If its a tight vote it could be decided by kids

most whom will be dressed like Mel on election day dragging grannies to the polls 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Probably not, so its up to the people of Scotland to educate them on the pros and cons…

or you could be as cynical as me and think the yes campaign is banking on immature and unformed opinions..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘18/09/2014.’ is closed to new replies.