Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 265 total)
  • 18/09/2014.
  • scotroutes

Aye – but one would assume that the MOD budget would also be less without the contribution of the taxes raised in Scotland?

piemonster

My son is 4 and my daughter is 10 months. I am sure any decision made next year will not affect them?! Do we think we made our best decisions at 16?

Some of the decisions I made at 16 make this quite a disturbing prospect.

I’m sure not all 16 year olds are as stupid as me.

scotroutes

Myth. Any independent polling of teenagers shows a pretty even split between those in favour and those against independence. Strathclyde Uni recently had their own hustings and voted “no”.

athgray
    Free Member

I am sure they will big and daft.

Russell96

Here’s hoping for vastly different VAT rates so we can do some cross border bike part smuggling.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Stevewhyte – it may or may not surprise you that many people in England i have spoken to about this want Scotland to leave as well.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Would be interested to see some stats on that if anyone has them?

how many RAF airbases in the North West? how many naval bases in the Nort West?

and the army

The MoD said the upheaval would ensure more stability in the future as the army settled around the seven hubs.

They will be at Salisbury Plain, Aldershot, Colchester, Stafford and in the east Midlands. There will be two more hubs in Scotland – in Edinburgh and Fife.

how many in the North West?

piemonster

Regards MOD spending, I’ve kind of got the impression that Whitehall has been winding down in Scotland more than south of the wall already. Due to just have the one RAF base for instance.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Aye – but one would assume that the MOD budget would also be less without the contribution of the taxes raised in Scotland?

the split of the budget isn’t balanced in terms of where it is spent, there would be a significant rebalancing towards E, W and NI of the remaining 90%

gordimhor

It was Alan Hansen who said “you can’t win anything with kids” and look what happened then
    🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

piemonster – Member

Regards MOD spending, I’ve kind of got the impression that Whitehall has been winding down in Scotland more than south of the wall already. Due to just have the one RAF base for instance.

two army hubs, multiple naval bases, one RAF station more than the NorthWest has currently

scotroutes

You’d like to think so …… I guess things like airbases are more related to strategic location – hence the East Coast has loads.

bawbag
    Free Member

Indeed, think of all the lovely cash a nuclear weapons base on the Thames would bring in.

athgray
    Free Member

True about Alan Hansen. Lets not have him as our first prime minister/president.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, the last Scots Govt figures i looked at showed that the gap between what Scotland raised in taxation and what she spent was approx 3.5 times the oil revenue, so the loss of the Scots taxes may not affect the MOD budget that much. Was a while back now though.

althepal

I’ve passed two RAF bases on my way down to Scarborough from Scotch corner big n daft, pretty sure there’s a very large army training base on the road over from Penrith to Scotch corner too,there’s also pretty big gun range near Carlisle too isn’t there- believe they shoot tank shells into the water a lot- although I accept that may be run by contractors..
    How many airbases in the whole of Scotland is there going to be in the next few years if govt plans go ahead? Of course, in the next few years Russia might start chucking more backfires about above the North Sea again and perhaps that decision might need reviewed!
    Not getting into a shooting match (groan) about it, I don’t claim to have specific answers to the question I posed above either!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You’d like to think so …… I guess things like airbases are more related to strategic location – hence the East Coast has loads.

they will need something at Carlisle to intercept the cessna’s Alex sends south to test E,W and NI airspace like Putin does

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21364559

althepal

http://forces.2day.ws/forces/section/ArmyBasesGarrisons/
    Quite a few at the mo based in Yorkshire in the above list..? Appreciate that’ll be changing though..

scotroutes

I don’t think Yorkshire counts as the North West…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ve passed two RAF bases on my way down to Scarborough from Scotch corner big n daft,

do you need a compass and a map of the UK?

pretty sure there’s a very large army training base on the road over from Penrith to Scotch corner too,

That’s Warcop, it’s small and has no permanent garrison

there’s also pretty big gun range near Carlisle too isn’t there- believe they shoot tank shells into the water a lot- although I accept that may be run by contractors.

never heard of it, it’s not a base used by those in uniform

How many airbases in the whole of Scotland is there going to be in the next few years if govt plans go ahead?

more than currently in the NW of England

Of course, in the next few years Russia might start chucking more backfires about above the North Sea again and perhaps that decision might need reviewed!

my understanding is that the SNP plans do not include air superiority fast jet for their airforce

piemonster

two army hubs, multiple naval bases, one RAF station more than the NorthWest has currently

Faslane is a decent sized slab of concrete. Not actually aware of any others for boats??

Prestwick is a single Sea King? How long does that gave left, not long.

Rosyth is…. Actually what the hell is Rosyth?

scotroutes

Rosyth is a Royal Naval Reserve base and Supply/Service base

althepal

My very bad- I was getting my west and east mixed up- still, north is north eh? Guessing we’ve not traditionally been worried about the north west of england being overflown by our enemies!
    My comments about policy reviews were assuming that Scotland says no and current mod plans are pushed ahead btw..
    Is Rosyth not just a big repair and maintenance port really?
    With regards to the firing range- you’ve not heard of it? Really? Like I said though- prob run by private contractors these days eh?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I can’t wait till we don’t have to pay for the new trident and any further wars in the Middle East.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Faslane is a decent sized slab of concrete

don’t forget the satellite sites

scotroutes

Are you not thinking of the one in Galloway that fires all the DU shells into the Solway?

althepal

Once again I must apologise profusely, the range is close to Kirkcudbright in Scotland!
    Once again, my very bad for not being overly familiar with the local geography!
    Edit- cheers Scotroutes- I was just googling that- honest!
    I believe I did state earlier that I was no expert in these matters?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

My very bad- I was getting my west and east mixed up- still, north is north eh?

you aren’t helping yourself 😉

althepal

I’m not really trying to be honest! It’s been a long day-but my poorly researched (googled) attempts at building a constructive argument mustn’t detract from the overall imbalance in mod spending in Scotland compared to England overall eh?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

mustn’t detract from the overall imbalance in mod spending in Scotland compared to England overall eh?

Scottish independance will lead to a larger MoD spend in the north of England

many will see that as a bonus

althepal

I can understand how that would make a lot of folk happy in the area..
    The east or the west though…? 🙂
    If we do become independent it won’t be my taxes being spent!
    (Point about imbalance still valid though- without wanting to get into a North/south of England debate!)

Northwind

athgray – Member

Do we think we made our best decisions at 16?

I think a significant part of the electorate can be trusted to make uninformed decisions, regardless of age.

The “Kids will vote for independence” thing is actually pretty interesting- as Scotroutes mentioned, independent surveys consistently show it’s not true. Some suggest that they lean slightly more towards Yes, though that’s a consistent age trend- 30 year olds are more likely to vote yes than 40 year olds, and so on. No shock, we grow more resistant to change and value comfort more as we age.

Why that’s interesting, is that this isn’t a shock to the SNP either, they’ve always known that the youth vote isn’t a Yes vote. Now maybe they expect to swing that vote… Or, maybe they just think it’s the right thing to do. Education’s a political football, youth unemployment is soaring… And if you’re a 16-year-old in work, then you have taxation without representation. Who has a bigger stake in the future than the ones who have the most future left?

By all means leave school, join the army, have sex, get married, go to prison, leave home, drive, but for god’s sake don’t vote!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I wonder what the British government will do with all that extra money that they used to use to subsidise Scotland once we leave.

scotroutes

* sniggers *

bawbag
    Free Member

Yay, less spending on the military in an independent Scotland. Let’s call it ‘bread not bombs’.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not really trying to be honest! It’s been a long day-but my poorly researched (googled) attempts at building a constructive argument mustn’t detract from the overall imbalance in mod spending in Scotland compared to England overall eh?

You need to Google better – there is actually a significant defence underspend in Scotland per head of population – Scots are effectively subsidising English defence spending by about £1bn per year.

http://www.defencemanagement.com/feature_story.asp?id=16821

big_n_daft
    Free Member

bawbag – Member

Yay, less spending on the military in an independent Scotland. Let’s call it ‘bread deep fried mars bars not bombs’.

IGMC 😉

althepal

Just as it starts getting sensible again eh?

zokes
    Free Member

Not wishing to start a flame war, but has there actually been a decision from the EU about what happens if Scotland becomes independent?

bencooper
    Free Member

No, it’s a unique situation. However it’s pretty unlikely that they would strip EU citizenship from several million citizens. Also, if Scotland suddenly gets kicked out of the EU, why should the rest of the UK automatically stay in?

EU membership isn’t really a set of rules – well it is, but they bend or break the rules all the time, so it’s really a negotiation. The question really is why would the EU not want an independent Scotland to be a member?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘18/09/2014.’ is closed to new replies.