Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)
  • 18/09/2014.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, and I get sentimental about the Union too – I just bought an old book about the North British Locomotive Works, Henry V Act III (“Once more unto the breach, dear friends..”), Oates saying “I’m just going outside and may be some time”, all that.

But we can celebrate our shared history without having to share our future.

oldbloke
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    oldbloke – I hear what you say about the “independence at all costs” folk but let’s say it’s a Yes/Yes, based on amongst other things a settlement with the EU. What happens if in, say, 10 years time a different Scottish Government is elected that decides to pull out of the EU – or there’s a re-negotiation of some other sort?

Then a future Scottish Government can try and convince the electorate to go down that route.

*A Better Together “analysis” recently announced that being independent would cost every Scot the grand sum of £1 per year. Don’t know about you, but I’d happily pay £1 per year to never have to listen to a Tory politician ever again

Exactly the sort of irrelevant nonsense which clouds debate. I don’t need to pay £1 to be able to just ignore them 🙂

If you want them to dot every i and cross every t before you vote, it’s not going to happen.

It is exactly what I expect to happen. It is what I expect to happen when I buy a house, a car, when I resolve contracts at work, when I employ someone. Independence could be either wonderful or a total nightmare depending on its terms.

Maybe it is because I operate in a world where I have seen the impact of poorly vs well negotiated deals. But if I can’t read the terms, there’s no way I’m going to vote for it.

piemonster

David Cameron, Alex Salmonds greatest ally.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben, Well put.

verses

As a non-Scotsman who prefers the current Union, my only facile contribution would be to say;

“No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in…”

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Better late than never:

1 – MoD Spending – are all the Scottish Regiments just being re-housed south of the border, is this where the increase in MoD spending comes from? I would guess not.

2 – Oldbloke – if you can actually dot the “i”‘s etc everytime you employ someone then well done, I tend to find that a great deal of recruitment is still done on trust, a bit like voting for your government.

I am in no way decided on this issue but lately I feel I have more in common with Alex Salmond than David Cameron, Ed Milliband, Nick Clegg and George Osbourne. It would pain me to vote for CMD as I would feel like I would be doing the right thing with the wrong person. Actually looking forward to the next 18th months and the debate.

CMD does not want the international embarrasment of being the PM who over saw the final nail in the coffin of the Great British Empire (ironing finished) being hammered home.

zokes
    Free Member

CMD does not want the international embarrasment of being the PM who over saw the final nail in the coffin of the Great British Empire (ironing finished) being hammered home.

Nah, we’ve still got the Falklands!

oldbloke
    Free Member

2 – Oldbloke – if you can actually dot the “i”‘s etc everytime you employ someone then well done, I tend to find that a great deal of recruitment is still done on trust, a bit like voting for your government.

I know what I’m going to pay them and I know what is written in their job description & employment contract. Their ability to perform is trust / judgement.

We are going to vote on something which doesn’t have the equivalent of those and are going to have to trust the politicians to negotiate pay & conditions as well as ability to perform.

You may well be happy to give them that authority. I’m not.

duckman

Ojn the question of the army, can they really afford to do without the significant number of Scots who comprise the various regiments?

For me it is a yes. Having lived through the Thatcher years as a late teen,the way she abandoned my country because we didn’t vote for her makes me realise that Scotland will always be way behind in any UK corp. (I realise that the majority of the population live in England)Because of this I feel that we can never rely on a Westminster Government (esp a Tory one)So I have to take this opp to apologise for dooming England to a tory government for ever.

I also have to say that I think this will be an every-generation issue. A no vote now will not be the end of it.

bencooper
    Free Member

So I have to take this opp to apologise for dooming England to a tory government for ever.

Thing is, this won’t. The Scottish vote hasn’t decided any national election since WWII.

This (pro-independence) video covers lots of the main arguments:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8w4PoQbgUiA[/video]

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I also have to say that I think this will be an every-generation issue. A no vote now will not be the end of it.

I can’t think of a bigger case for the rest of the UK deciding it wanted to self determine as a place that didn’t include Scotland 😉

who wants the perpetual moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth 🙄

Having lived through the Thatcher years as a late teen,the way she abandoned my country because we didn’t vote for her makes me realise that Scotland will always be way behind in any UK corp

how come 13 years of Scottish Labour prime ministers didn’t rebalance this ❓

scotroutes

Is that not like having an over-paid, under-performing employee and then being too scared to take the risk on replacing them? 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Ojn the question of the army, can they really afford to do without the significant number of Scots who comprise the various regiments?

The greater irony being that unless they happen to be registered to vote in Scotland, then presumably they won’t count as residents and may well end up on the wrong side in a hypothetical conflict.

Though that does raise an interesting question: When it comes to issuing Scottish passports, who’s eligible? Those who live there, those who can prove in some way that they are Scottish, or will it just be a free for all on dual citizenship?

zokes
    Free Member

how come 13 years of Scottish Labour prime ministers didn’t rebalance this

This does seem to be a question that’s being quite well evaded. Why was the balance not redressed with Scots in power in Westminster for 13 years?

piemonster

Good grief, that pro independence video has put my vote straight back on the fence.

A chirpy tune, a sarcastic narrator, and saying this that and be other, isn’t enough to convince me of owt.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

will it just be a free for all on dual citizenship?

Can’t see them stopping anyone who wants one having one tbh. Probably similar to the situation in Ireland.

piemonster

This does seem to be a question that’s being quite well evaded. Why was the balance not redressed with Scots in power in Westminster for 13 years?

Prime Ministers don’t have absolute power.

bencooper
    Free Member

Because they may have been Scots, but they were members of political parties containing politicians from all over (mostly England, of course), living in London, and working in a first-past-the-post system that doesn’t really allow for change. If they even wanted change.

oldbloke
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Is that not like having an over-paid, under-performing employee and then being too scared to take the risk on replacing them?

You’re proposing firing someone and taking your luck in what you get as a replacement. I’m suggesting I want to see the range of alternative candidates presented so I know there’s a better option before I consider firing the old one.

richmtb

I’ll be voting yes.

I’ve not seen a single positive reason from the “better together” campaign as to why Scotland should remain in the union. Just scaremongering and some guff about our “shared heritage”.

If Scotland becomes independent the various peoples of these islands will still have a shared heritage and a shared future just under different governments.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a single positive reason from the “better together” campaign as to why Scotland should remain in the union. Just scaremongering and some guff about our “shared heritage”.

Well, you’ll definitely (maybe) still be in the EU, if you view that as positive

scotroutes

Really? Is it not just as/more likely that the UK will exit the Eu?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Prime Ministers don’t have absolute power.

so why do you blame Thatcher ❓

you clearly think she didn’t have absolute power 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Really? Is it not just as/more likely that the UK will exit the Eu?

Pretty unlikely, despite CMD’s hubris.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Alex Salmond, David Camerons, Alex Salmonds greatest ally.

😉

zokes
    Free Member

so why do you blame Thatcher

Lazy convenience?

piemonster

I don’t

Edit, blaming her for what?

wrecker
    Free Member

Not something I’m particularly emotional about. I will say that Scotland will either be a successor state or it will not. Both have advantages and disadvantages, however the SNP seem to think that they’ll be able to pick and choose the best bits.
    If Scotland do vote yes, I think we should break up the whole kit and kaboodle. No more struggling for devolution for Wales, NI can stand alone or join with the ROI.

Northwind

big_n_daft – Member

Dunno. But whyever it is, it’s probably because of Thatcher

scotroutes

I do wonder what he impact of Scottish Independence would be on the rest of the UK;
    If it’s seen to be successful, would it convince enough voters that a more left-leaning party could make it into government?
    Would it result in more of a ground-swell in favour of an independent Wales?
    Would some of the pro-UK patriotism in Northern Ireland subside enough for a merger with the ROI?

althepal

Found this wee gem on t’internet just now- wonder if this will need to be renegotiated?

zokes
    Free Member

Found this wee gem on t’internet just now- wonder if this will need to be renegotiated?

You do know it’ll run out in a few years don’t you?

So probably not the best thing to be basing your future economy on, regardless of how much can be negotiated.

In any case, I doubt there’ll be much negotiation there. You want out, we want the oil. I suspect a proverb about cake and eating it comes in to play at this point.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The simple point is being missed by most on here as usual.

The question is do we want to be an independent nation?

It’s a simple yes or no answer.

Once we answer that, then we move on with all that it entails. Europe, economy, education, military etc. it’s all then gets worked out.

athgray
    Free Member

To make matters more complex. What if the Northen Isles wish to remain part of the UK. They would retain some of the oil that Salmond is basing part of his economic policy on.
    Steve, I would rather know what I am voting for. What you are suggesting is a bit like going on Amazon wearing a blindfold’ pressing some keys and then seeing what happens. Thats not an internet shopping technique that most people adhere to.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

At the moment there does seem to be an alarming lack of clear policy from the SNP as to what will happen to various areas as mentioned above.
    Glad I’m not being asked to make such a big decision without a clear route.

scotroutes

(a) It’s a nice, hypothetical question that currently has no basis in reality. Apart from a couple of loony LibDems there is no popular demand for the Northern Isles to remain within the UK.

However, assuming we adopt the position that everyone has the right to self-determination, what would happen if the folk living along the East Coast of Shetland all wanted to stay Scottish – would we partition the Islands?

(b)There is precedent for a small archipelago sitting within another countries continental shelf to be very restricted in terms of its maritime boundary – I believe 12 miles is the figure I’ve read.

http://www.ejil.org/pdfs/12/1/505.pdf

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Steve, many will want to ask the question – “Independence, what does it mean for us?” which is a fair question and deserves a detailed answer.
    If the pro Independence movement cannot clearly and concisely answer that then they risk people remaining with the status quo.

Ive no axe to grind, i really couldn’t care much less whether Scotland stays or goes but the Scots people do deserve to be given all the answers before they are asked to vote.

scotroutes

The problem in the main is that the UK Government does not want to enter into any negotiation prior to the result. I can see their point – to do so gives additional legitimacy/credence to the Yes campaign. As I’ve already pointed out, the EU will only give a definitive answer on their position if requested to by Westminster and David Cameron has refused to go down that route.

Many of the issues cannot, in any case, be decided now. After a period of negotiation the population of Scotland will be asked to vote for a new government. The policies of that government, and those that follow, cannot be set in stone by the SNP now. That includes their position on NATO, the EU etc.

Edit: the No campaign has so far been unable to come up with what would happen in the result of a No vote. There have been various mentions of added powers/further devolution despite all three major parties previously ruling this out.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The thing is, there is nothing out there at all so you are being asked to vote in darkness. Glad I’m not having to choose under those conditions.

All I’m interested in is getting rid of Greenwich mean time once Scotland leaves

athgray
    Free Member

Scotroutes. Angus Macneil, the SNP rural affairs spokesman admitted a year ago that Orkney and Shetland could remain part of there UK if the was enough self determination to do so.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘18/09/2014.’ is closed to new replies.