Home Forums Bike Forum Xfusion Slant RL2 – Real world reviews?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Xfusion Slant RL2 – Real world reviews?
  • Stupid.is
    Free Member

So the Rebas on the front of my Scandal are starting to die and as they are 9mm QR now seems like good time to upgrade! As the bike does not get a huge amount of use I not looking to splash major money but like the idea of treating it to a new fork over a 2nd one. So a couple of places have Xfusion Slant RL2’s for sub 300 quid and seems to tick all the boxes. Has anyone got one/had one? Review’s seems a little thin on the ground.

TheFlyingOx

Not sure if it’s they’re Slants but my mate has X-fusion forks on his Pivot 429c. I tend to ride this when I’m with him and I don’t have much to say other than they’re very good indeed. I’d have no qualms sticking them on one of my bikes rather than spending megabucks on Fox or RockShox.

martinhutch

I have Sweep RL2s, so the same damper. Obviously it’s not the top of the line HLR damper, but it’s a damn sight better than my old Rebas. Nice forks, really supple, easy(ish) to service. I expect similar things from the Slant.

RicB

I ran a set for 4 years – they’re superb. Very well built, stiff and have great tyre clearance. In fact I fitted a 27.5″ wheel with 2.4 HR2 tyre in and there was plenty of room to spare. I did the lowers service every 3-4 months and the stanchions and bushings are like new.

The RL2 damper is pretty good. Lots of mid stroke support but not much in the way of adjustment. I upgraded mine to the Roughcut (aka HLR) damper and there was a noticeable difference, if fact I’d say in that guise they were better than my current Pikes. I’ve kept them as a spare.

oldnpastit

I’ve not got this particular one, but I have an RL2 McQueen which I think is pretty similar (34mm stanchions, RL2 damper) and it’s fine. I’m not a fork expert, but I’ve not noticed the forks, which is a good thing.

I’ve also got the roughcut damper in some other forks, which has noticeably better damping; those forks are really nice.

And I’ve got some much older RL2 Slide forks (32mm stanchions). I think they’re a bit flexy, and I’ve definitely noticed them just sort of giving up on big rocky descents. They’re currently sat in the shed waiting for inspiration.

(I’ve kind of decided to stick with X-fusion forks since I more-or-less know how to service them myself now, and I can’t be bothered to figure out how to service other manufacturer’s forks as I’d rather be doing other things).

I think the Slants have 34mm stanchions? If so, they’re probably a good deal better than Rebas.

Alpha1653

I considered the Slant RL2 in 2016 but after speaking with a few people, I treated myself to the HLR Roughcut version. Whilst I can’t comment on the damper in the RL2, I will say that they are a a hell of a lot stiffer than the Revelations they replaced.

As for real world reviews, if you’re struggling just read the reviews for the Sweep RL2s. As far as I am aware, they have the same size stanchions (34mm), same damper (RL2) and almost the same lowers – the offset on the Sweeps will be more (I think) for the 650b wheel but that’s pretty much it. As for the clearance point above, I can back that up 100%. I’ve had a 2.4/650b Minion in the front of the 26″ Slant and there was more clearance than on the 650b Pikes on the bike from which the wheel came.

In short, I’ve had Fox and RS before but they’re now stupid money; it’s X Fusion all the way for me now.

Alex

I had a set on my original Cotic Rocket. Rode about 1500km on it. Damper isn’t as good as the Roughcut (I now have a couple of pairs of McQueens with that damper) but at the time comparable to a Pike of the same age. Serviced it after a year and most parts looked new. Not much (maybe any?) plastic in the fork.

Singletrack reviewed it as well and they liked it. For £300 that’s a lot of fork for not much money.

markrh
    Free Member

I’ve got some Slants on my Stanton, had them for about 9 months now and so far so good. They are a bit heavier than the Reba’s they replaced but ride and steer better and feel very well made. Would buy them again.

legend
    Free Member

For balance, I hated mine. No adjustable compression meant they were either really divey or really harsh (depending on pressure). iirc the problem seems to affect lighter riders more, but not had to get rid after fighting with them for months

JAG

I have the X-Fusion Slant on my BFe.

I would echo ‘all’ of the comments above. It’s a great fork, solid, stiff, supple and all made of metal; if that matters to you.

I would also add that it doesn’t have much adjustment for compression damping. The control sweeps through 90 degrees but it has a ‘detent’ feature which means it’s happiest fully open or fully closed. It’s difficult to get anything in-between.

mintimperial

I had some of the 1st generation 26″ Slant RL2s a few years ago. The stanchions wore out really quickly, I wasn’t impressed, but most people seem to get years out of them so presumably I was just unlucky. As with legend I found that the ride wasn’t amazing, they were pretty harsh, but then they were quite cheap.

legend
    Free Member

I would also add that it doesn’t have much adjustment for compression damping. The control sweeps through 90 degrees but it has a ‘detent’ feature which means it’s happiest fully open or fully closed. It’s difficult to get anything in-between.

Thats not an adjuster, that’s the lockout (the “L” in RL2)

JAG

“That’s not an adjuster…”

Sorry but it is – it has arrows engraved on it with a + and a – shown in each direction

duncancallum

I like them you can try mine if your near bolton…

For the money very good and stiff…

legend
    Free Member

From X-Fusions site –

• Adjustments RL2: Lockout., Rebound,,Air Pressure

Thatll be why it only moves 90 degrees and I ly has detents at each end

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Xfusion Slant RL2 – Real world reviews?’ is closed to new replies.