Home Forums Bike Forum XC/bikepacking hardtail options?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • XC/bikepacking hardtail options?
    Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking to get a hardtail to replace my gravel bike – will mainly be used for riding around the Pentlands/Edinburgh area, and then bikepacking trips in the Highlands and hopefully further afield. Looking for:

• 29″ wheels, at least 2.4″
    • 100-120mm fork
    • Decent sized triangle for water/frame bag
    • Cage bosses on down tube and seat tube – would also be nice to have them on top of top tube and underside of down tube, as well as rack mounts.
    • Reasonably light
    • Modern geometry (i.e. reasonably slack head angle, reasonably steep seat tube angle)
    • Available on Cycle to Work (Cycle Solutions to be specific)

Current top of the list is the Sonder Broken Road Ti – I’m not hugely fussed by Ti but it’s a lot lighter than the steel version. Main detractors I can see are slack seat tube angle, and not the most exciting brand.

Other options I have looked at:

• Sonder Broken Road steel (heavy)
    • Fairlight Holt (not available until April 25 at the earliest)
    • Cotics (not available through Cycle Solutions)
    • Pace RC429 (too expensive)
    • Marin Pine Mountain (basic build spec, no frame-only option)
    • Brother Big Bro (head angle too steep 70.5)
    • Singular Swift Mk5 (head angle too steep 69)
    • Surly Karate Monkey (designed for 140mm fork)
    • Ritchey Ultra (looks interesting, don’t know much about it, not a bikepacking frame, head angle a little steep at 68.5?)

Have I missed anything interesting? Welcome any thoughts on my comments above too!

Thanks.

ampthill

This is a question i too have been pondering

I’d say salsa timberjack should be on your list

hopefiendboy

On one whippet

dove1

In true STW recommend-what-you’ve-got style, try and get a test ride on a Broken Road Ti if you are near an Alpkit shop.

Had mine since 2020 and it’s my favourite bike. It is a great all-rounder and I use mine for trail riding, big xc days and bike packing.

IMG_2946

IMG_7568

IMG_5116

IMG_3406

boxelder

Titus Silk Road?

PJay
    Free Member

Way outside of what I know, but folk seem to like the Pipedream S6 – https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/shop/sirius-s6-ti/

Coming in steel too – https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/shop/sirius-s6/

larrydavid
    Free Member

Scott Scale?

noideawhattodo
    Free Member

Love my solarismax, great uphill and rips downhill loving the techy stuff.

This is it in action up near Cape Wrath

davy90
    Free Member

I have a Scott Scale, great bike but small triangle if a frame bag is wanted.

tall_martin

riding around the Pentlands/Edinburgh area, and then bikepacking trips in the Highlands and hopefully further afield.

Back in the day (2001) I did almost that on a 100mm hardtail. Raleigh RSP, then a norco fireball then a cove stiffee.

I’d say any of the bikes you have listed would be ace.

Sonder Broken Road Ti – I’m not hugely fussed by Ti but it’s a lot lighter than the steel version. Main detractors I can see are slack seat tube angle, and not the most exciting brand.

Can you ram your seat forward to give a steeper effective angle? Only one of my bikes doesn’t have the seat all the way forward and that’s because it’s got a rigid fork that’s a bit shorter that the 130mm suspension fork it’s supposed to have.

Rack mounts over frame mounts. I toured with panniers and now I see they are making a comeback. Bike packing bags are better for balance, but panniers are easier to get on in one go with no faffing after taking stuff on and off.

I don’t get to bike pack often anymore. Last time was on my geometron – G13 (160/135mm) , time before on my on one hello Dave(160mm fork)

What about on one? Ti/ steel/ alloy options.

I commute on an on one vandal which was cheap and ticks some of you boxes. There’s is the Titius silk road which ticks more.

I’d suggest choosing one you like the look of, there will all be great in their own way.

On one aren’t a super exciting brand in my eyes, but both the bikes I’ve had from them are great and have geometry that fits me. I’d have a sonder over on one for the warranty on ti. I pretty much expect if my vandal breaks I’ll have to buy myself a new one. It was second hand but I’d assume that for a new one as well.

rOcKeTdOg

The new shape Trek procaliber

anagallis_arvensis

On one whippet

Mine does a good job.

IMG20240810153129

qwerty
    Free Member

Specialized Chisel

munrobiker
    Free Member

When I was looking into something for exactly that use (before I decided to go full suspension) I was looking for a Specialized Chisel hardtail.

PJay
    Free Member

Trek still do the 1120 as a frameset (much reduced in small). I’ve no idea how that fits.

ogden
    Free Member

Solarismax was my first thought when I saw the title.

intheborders
    Free Member

While I’ve both a gravel bike and a HT I’m buying a drop-bar MTB to do what you’re looking at.

The gravel bike is miserable when loaded on rough tracks, especially descending and the HT is hard work if there’s any road mileage (or into the wind forever) to do.

I’m getting a Cotic Cascade but I guess those companies that do C2W will also do equivalent bikes.

faustus

I’ve got a Titus el Viajero which is my main/XC/bikepacking bike. Got it second hand as a frame only, and it rides really nicely, and takes 100-120mm forks (or rigid). Doesn’t have many mounts but that doesn’t matter much. For TT bag, tailfin ones have rubberised plastic feet and are as secure as a bolt on one. For a rear rack you can use an ortlieb quick rack with seatstay brackets, or the newer one that is due to come out that mounts to a special axle with studs. The frame has a decent triangle for a bag though, and if 68.5 HA is too steep for you then you could use a angle adjust headset…i’ve not felt the need. PX to C2W options, though not sure what the standard builds are like. EDIT – also has tons of tyre clearance, up to 2.6

Here’s mine rigid:

damascus
    Free Member

I love my on one scandal with a trek 1120 carbon fork for bike packing.

fatbikedog

Not what you asked but it has to be said

‘Stooge’

damascus
    Free Member

@dove1 I was looking at the to broken road in the sonder shop a few weeks ago. It’s a lovely thing. How do you get on with the sliding drop outs? Do they ever give you any bother?

ampthill

The guy i sit next at work had a Sonder Broken road in ti. All bike issues are dissected. He has never mentioned the drop outs and has been well looked after by Sonder

dove1

@damascus – never had any trouble with the sliding dropouts. They are held in place by 2 chunky bolts each side plus a horizontal, nut-locked hex bolt to stop them sliding forward.

E6CF2E74-21DF-4F78-A898-4DEB361E76F8

pistola
    Free Member

I bought a Ritchey Ultra hardtail frame last year and really rate the way it rides and feels.  I’d quite happily use it for bikepacking.

mos

Mason Raw looks pretty nice. I have a Solaris Max which, although great to ride, has some issues which mean it’ll be seeing the door. Namely the sh!tty external cable routing and lack of bottle bosses on the seat tube.

I’ll most likely be getting it copied by Travers with those problems eradicated.

stanley

Yeah, Mason Raw. Love mine :-)

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/raw-bikes

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Mason Raw is on the list, forgot to put it in my first post – looks great, but it is expensive compared to others, and Mason adds 12% fee for C2W (which most other stores don’t) which makes it even more expensive.

Titus Silk Road – if it didn’t have that funny top tube I’d be keen!

Ritchey Ultra does look good, but HA is a little steep, and only taking 29×2.4 tyre may be limiting?

Cotic Solaris – turns out I can get it through C2W, but slightly put off by lack of seat tube bottle cage bosses. Quite a few of the lower-slung hardtails don’t have this (e.g. Pipedream Sirius S6 which I’m also interested in) – not sure how big of a deal this is – I often ride with 2 bottles on my gravel bike, guess I could start riding with a hydration vest..?

mos – the lack of seat tube mounts obviously was an issue for you on your Solaris. What’s up with the cable mounting?

Duane…
    Free Member

Such a shame the next drop of the Fairlight Holt isn’t until next April at the earliest as that seems to tick pretty much all the boxes..!

swanny853

Solaris can take two bottles on the downtube. I prefer this- you can use just the lower one and fit a half frame bag or with both there’s still room for a small bag that would take pump, tools etc.

swanny853

IMG_4167

edit- that’s a medium SolarisMax. I think the new pipedream can do the same.

Duane…
    Free Member

Also forgot to add, Cotic won’t get the latest version of the Sid Ultimate in which seems a bit odd to me.

FOG

The external cable routing is one of the minor things that made me buy a SolarisMax. The thing that will probably make me sell it is more that it’s a big quite heavy tank.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.