Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Wonder where the anti 4×4 lobby is now
  • sm500
    Free Member

Just wondering where the anti 4×4 lobby is now we have bad snow,I am guessing even the chelsea tractor is of use in the towns seeing the council cant grit the roads. ,)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Probably sitting in the warm at home not making unnecessary journeys

or

like I would be if I was in the UK, racing around as fast as I can and doing great slidey turns. Obviously I would only speed if it was safe to do so

wombat

Chelsea tractors are almost all useless in the snow because they don't have the right tyres (and are driven by C@cks).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Furious at home as after 10 years of just running their kids to school in it and then when they finally need the 4 x 4 they shut the school.

Jamie
    Free Member

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not sure roadgoing 4×4's are that much use without low ratio and diff locks, especially if you can't drive.

Colleague has a Jeep thing and couldn't get up the road to our office even though the car in front, a Mondeo, did.

Plus many people seem to think that awd gives you magic steering and braking capabilities.

Edit – and I'm not anti 4×4 in any way, just don't think many are really up to much.

nonk
    Free Member

when i was stuck in traffic yesterday there was lots of them stuck in the traffic with me. 😆
    pointless toss.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

What dangerousbeans said really. I was in the Dales over the new year and obviously Land Rovers make sense but I'm no happier to see them on the streets of Birmingham now there's snow on the ground.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My 4×4 has been perfectly happy in this weather.

But then, I haven't driven it anywhere.

But if I did, it is Swedish, yah, so verrr verrrr good in the snow. Bork!

noteeth
    Free Member

I generally take a dim view of 4x4s (and faux-by-fauxs), unless they are being driven by farmers, shepherds, mountain rescue etc. But today I witnessed a glorious example of community justice, dealt out by a disco driver.

A bunch of highly unpleasant tracksuits were throwing snowballs at a busy junction – at buses, learner drivers, ambulances, cyclists, etc. Effing and blinding at anybody who remonstrated with them. Said disco sneaks up slowly on the chavs – and then accelerates hard through an adjacent (and big) puddle of oily, gritty slush. They were thoroughly hosed down in road shite.

It was beautiful to watch. 😈

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

A good awd with a good driver is dead useful, however on our crowded roads it'll probably still not be moving cos of the other traffic.

Been out driving them in the past and my skills were really not up to getting the most our of the vehicle, reckon thats probably true of a majority of users.

Also, I think it gives a false sense of security to many users leading to a likelihood of over-egging it and crashing.

timc
    Free Member

I think they are off slating BMW's & other rear wheel drive cars 🙄

scraprider
    Free Member

may i say the anti 4×4 lobbies are all a bunch if poorly educated **** weirdos, thank you.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not sure roadgoing 4×4's are that much use without low ratio and diff locks, especially if you can't drive.

Unless you're going down 1 in 3s low ratio isn't any use. You want high gears for snow.

Road tyres work just fines too (I mean road 4×4 tyres not semi-slick elastic bands).

An 'essential' journey earlier…

ando227
    Free Member

My "green" landrover discovery (i have recycled and rebuilt it, no extra CO2 from building a new one) which just happens to be be green, has been a joy in the recent weather. My disabled wife loves it, as she can get out and about without fear of getting stuck.

clubber
    Free Member

Funny because the only car/tractor I saw having problems today was an X5 which had somehow skidded on a road that no one else seemed to have had any problems on and get stick in the hedge/ditch 😉

daveob
    Free Member

Got to be honest, never been anti-4×4, until last night. While we were stuck in the ice related traffic the **** in their 4×4's seemed to think it didn't apply to them and chose to drive on the wrong side of the road focing themselves in when a car came the other way. Most of the delay 2WD ws not the problem, cocks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I'm here, been driving round in my van very happily along with most of Cumbria in normal cars. In most situations a well maintained car with decent tyres on is fine. For the small number of situations where a Landrover is needed you should probably have stayed at home.

kerv
    Free Member

I know I have been stuck behind as many 4wd's as 2wd's doing 15mph on what are essentially just wet roads! What you need is a white van, just blast down the snowy bits chucking slush everywhere, people expect no less of white van man! 👿

RichPenny
    Free Member

At home, having ridden into work and back 🙂 Ironically, the most dangerous bits of my commute are those that have been thoroughly **** over by 4wds. Go figure!

anagallis_arvensis

Furious at home as after 10 years of just running their kids to school in it and then when they finally need the 4 x 4 they shut the school.

Now that prpoerly made me laugh

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

The wet roads round us keep having big patches of black ice on them, as the volvo driver found out as I came home tonight.

johnners
    Free Member

may i say the anti 4×4 lobbies are all a bunch if poorly educated **** weirdos, thank you.

I managed to get the gist of that, so yes, just about.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sm500 – Member

Just wondering where the anti 4×4 lobby is now we have bad snow,I am guessing even the chelsea tractor is of use in the towns seeing the council cant grit the roads. ,)

This one is riding his bike and loving it. Dunno what all teh fuss is about – it all makes no odds to me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Saw a picture on here yesterday of a Range Rover in a wall, and on BBC today another 4×4 rolled in the snow…

IdleJon

Can I just check that when we talk about 4x4s we aren't referring to the nobhead racerboys in their Subaru Imprezas who keep flying up and down the main road outside my house at well above the speed limit, obviously unaware that they aren't Colin McRae in the dry never mind the snow?

Cos I'm anti-them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Saw a picture on here yesterday of a Range Rover in a wall, and on BBC today another 4×4 rolled in the snow

Funny. I saw a picture of a rather ordinary Citroen hatchback stuck in the snow, but didn't feel the need to mention it. (Until now, of course).

What's your point?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Funny. I saw a picture of a rather ordinary Citroen hatchback stuck in the snow, but didn't feel the need to mention it. (Until now, of course).

It's a dam sight easier to push a small french car back onto the road than a 4×4 unless its that thing James May had in Bolivia.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

a mates new X6 has been stuck in a field for the last 2 weeks – I out ran an X5 up hill in my Citron C2 – apparentley he lost traction

taka
    Free Member

my defenders going fine took the a day or so ago snow is the only time when i can go out to pick my freinds up without anyone noticeing that im 16 😆 🙄

KERV

HERE ! HERE !

iDave
    Free Member

king taka – like your style

i have a shitty old nissan terrano and its got through and up everything including driving up to Macc forest yesterday evening for a big hike.

CountZero

Anyone who saw Top Gear last Sunday will have been very amused by Clarkson ripping the p155 out the truly awful X6 monstrosity, which is just an uglier version of the X3/5. Most 4×4's have ordinary road treads on, so don't get the grip, but the biggest problem is lack of skill using a car in snow, 4×4 or otherwise. My car of choice would be one of the little Suzuki's, like a 413 or Jimny. Perfectly capable off-road, and light enough to be manhandled if need be. With a good set of proper tyres on.

taka
    Free Member

shame my white alloys wont last for long 😥

kimbers

about 10 years ago when it snowed in cambridge bad and a load of people got trapped on the m11 i had to inch make my way home along the a14 in a long queue of traffic , remember watching a school run mum in a landrover full of kids gracefully slip and slide off the road in front of me and end up in a ditch, my trusty beat up old astra was fine and im a crap driver!

PeteG55
    Free Member

First off, I have no problems with people having 4x4s who actually need them, but the school run mums in their Cayennes,X5s,Q7s and MLs (and living in Cheltenham, theres more than a few)should be banned!
    The only cars I saw having real problems out in the slush today was the X5s and the like, and mainly because they come on stupid 20" alloys with tyres wide enough to be classified as construction vehicles. You won't see a Landy with that kind of setup on it.
    Has to be said that the driver makes a massive difference, I saw a Mitsi L200 4×4 spinning all 4 wheels earlier away from the lights, cock!

kimbers

saying that had to drive from cornwall to birmingham one bitterly snowy, icy january day and those little cornish roads are twisty turny rollercoaster nightmares, saw several cars flipped over, my missus had one of these though……..

Radioman

Driver makes quite a difference but i can vouch for the fact that modern 4x4s make off road driving much easier. My disco has a drive settings dial that just has to be turned to appropriate conditions and that totally alters response of the car.Just like camera settings! The settings automatically adjust engine torque curve throttle response etc. You can be quite a bad driver and still get away with it!You have hill descent control to for when it all gets a bit scary. Its way easier of road than the old model discos, though i'd agree that the real enthusiast will still probably prefer the much tougher Defenders etc. The new Disco is a great car and even gets over 30mpg. Thats loads better than lots of sports cars including Golf r32s and GTIs. Excellent for the weight of the car. Luckily we live in a relatively free democratic country and are allowed to make some of our own choices.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Makes you wonder what the mpg would be if weighed a bit less than the 2.5tonnes it currently does!

SaxonRider

but the biggest problem is lack of skill using a car in snow, 4×4 or otherwise

What he said x 100000

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Wonder where the anti 4×4 lobby is now’ is closed to new replies.