Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Winter outdoor trousers, standing, walking, allotmenting – what brand/model?
  • boombang
    Free Member

I need one or more pairs of trousers for outdoor use (if two one more casual looking and another can be more utility looking). Long story short have got fat and bust my ankle (wearing a big boot) so living in joggers, but 90 mins of watching my son play rugby yesterday left me cold and I’m pretty sure people are getting fed-up of seeing my junk. When the boot is off I’ll be back walking and allotmenting, so something breathable and hard wearing would be nice.

Looking at most brands I thought might fit the bill the reviews are poor either of how product lasted or any returns required.

Some stretch in waist would really be appreciated, waist bigger than leg length at moment but once back on feet and Christmas is done that should come down.

Sure this has been done to death but can’t find any recent threads.

plus-one
    boombang
    Free Member

1.8 on Trustpilot and a clear review on here saying ‘these trousers are ok,ish. the pockets are rubbish. for softshell stretch there’s no room in them and the zips are crap’ doesn’t fill me with confidence – you sound happy enough though?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

old pair of jeans . reduce reuse recycle

trailwagger
    Free Member

Peak STW….. “what trousers for outdoor standing?”

slowoldman

I used to like Rohan Winter Bags – though useless when wet.

boombang
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1 – I have one single pair of jeans wore out 2 15+ year old pairs through lockdown. Only so much reducing you can do once the crotch has worn through on your kecks.

@trailwagger
    – absolutely, it’s stuff like this that got me to subscribe in the first place.

spacemonkey

Similar topic…

I ordered some Nordwand Pros over the weekend. £66 down from £95 I think. Plenty of choice on there.

boombang
    Free Member

thanks @spacemonkey, that’s almost too helpful a reply, any chance you can patronise me a bit please?

matt_outandabout

I find a set of thermal leggings is better than my lined winter trousers. Merino particularly when standing.

Even better or standing, I wear both.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have some cheap, insulatd, waterproof trews from Aldi which have given sterling service for winter dog walks, gardening etc.

Also some nice, heavy lined-jeans from Howies (which I’m wearing now), for more casual wear.

And I really like the thermal workwear trousers I also got from Aldi (or was it Lidl) a few years ago, for when it’s not sub-zero.

vondally
    Free Member

Revolution race be mindful of the sizing, I bought some and whilst looking a well made trouser they did not fit at all my body shape.

thermal leggings, are then best option IMHO, under jeans or a Good waterprrof touser.

Decathlon do some snow softshell trousers very good and excellent waterprrof trail trouser in the running department edict at 39£

Uniqulo dona thermal trouser fleece lined trousers which are warm.

Montane do some walking trousers which are very Good but you will need a thermal underneath.

plus-one

Most of the reviews I seen are 4* or above for geo 2 trousers 🤔 I’m a serial Jeans wearer for dog/outdoors stuff(cycling Levi’s being my favorite) however for £20 I can’t find a fault with them. Small pockets/need for belt aren’t putting me off. I hate stuff on trouser pockets I tend to carry stuff in jacket or backpack.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Craghoppers fleece line trousers are my go-to winter standing around strides. With a pair of merino long johns underneath if it’s a bit chilly.

This weekend it was -2 and I spent 2 hours standing in a damp field watching one of my sons play football. Was lovely and warm (my new PSA Montane Extreme jacket no doubt helped). Have used them when walking in the Alps too.

Also have some Nordwand Pros as mentioned above – they’re much tougher but nowhere near as warm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon warm snow trousers +1, brilliant.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have a look at workwear trousers that you get in Screwfix – Snickers ones etc? Pretty cheap, tough and you get lined ones to keep you warm. Lots of pockets and belt bits.

stingmered

What about a pair of biking trousers then you can up the usage and decrease the £/wear. I’ve got some very expensive Mamut walking trousers that have had for years and used all over the world for hiking/walking/mountaineering etc. However got a pair of Endura Singletrack 2 trousers last winter for general riding and TBH, I think they are a better prospect for most activities, with the bonus that they work really well on the bike. For general hill walking ‘standing around’ and the like, they are brilliant. And you can get them in black rather than the bright green (which I also like but might be a bit much for allotment-ing…)

boombang
    Free Member

Some really helpful posts here, thank you all.

I’ve ordered some trousers but merino long johns are a perfect idea, also reminded me to dig out my merino base layer from the back of the cupbboard.

nedrapier

I’ve got a few weights of trousers I can use for standing still/ being in the cold, depending on how still I’m standing, and how cold it is.

layering for the win – All your trousers can now be warm trousers. Even those crappy old crotchless jeans will still be good for allotment/gardening jobs – keeping the mud and scuffs at bay over the warm layer.

Unders:
    – 2 x merino longjohns,
    – some microfleece polartech 3/4s I’ve had for snowboarding – I’m wearing those now under some – climbing-type, slightly stretchy cotton trousers,
    – some powerstretch long johns – those are for standing really quite still in, when it’s pretty cold. would be good for touchline duties.

Overs:
    – windproof synth puffy overtrousers for a winter camping expedition. full-length zips for quick deployment over what you’re wearing without taking your boots (inc your big one, OP!) off. Marvellous. Desperate measures for SE UK, though. broken heating, winter camping evening wear sort of thing.
    – RAF surplus goretex overs to keep the wind off – just as handy as the unders for staying warm.

nedrapier

further to the above – these could be perfect for whacking over the top of your joggers in the car park when you get to the pitches?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122737458487

mattsccm
    Free Member

Go and have a look at some shooting clothien=g websites. Somewhere like John Norris to start with. The shooting brigade seems to have embraced the waterproof inner membrane in something that looks like a green walking trouser thing. No where near as sweaty as you would think. I live in a pair through the winter months. Can be had quite cheap. Avoids over trousers in all but monsoons.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I like my craghoppers winter kiwis.
    A bit less faff than squeezing into some thermal leggings.
    A bit wide for cycling, tho.

I think all thermal options suffer from using the same grade of insulation over the entire garment.

Your legs will be nice and toasty, but your ‘undercarriage’ will get thoroughly roasted.

Maybe less insulation for the ‘C&A’?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Winter outdoor trousers, standing, walking, allotmenting – what brand/model?’ is closed to new replies.