Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Winter gloves… What you got then ?
  • mactheknife

I love the 100% brisker gloves due to not having a padded palm. The insulation is on the top of the hand. It seems to be the perfect combination for me. I was out in Dunkeld yesterday send it was about minute 5. Not a chill to be had.

ton

I was bought some of these about6 years ago.
    just ace really.

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/accessories-c26/gloves-c47/tornado-glove-p251

MoreCashThanDash

I like my Galibier Deep Winters, but I’m not convinced they are a huge step up from my Aldi ones, maybe less sweaty.

I have some Aldi lobster style ones from a couple of years back that are warmer.

Best solution I’ve found is to size up something like the Aldi gloves and get some thin glove liners from Decathlon

IHN

On Saturdays ride my hands were toasty, until we stopped for cake, they got damp and cold in the cafe and were bloody freezing afterwards.

If I’m in a café (or going for a wee behind a hedge, or fixing a puncture…) my gloves go up my jersey, pretty much in to my armpits. Keeps’em warm and then they’re fine when they go on again.

woody2000

I’ve got some of the Polaris “dry grip” gloves, nice and warm but really, really sweaty and take absolutely ages to dry out (days).  Also have a pair of their “Tornado Blitz” gloves which are nice down to low single figures but I find them cold after that and they’re a bit tight for a liner.  Tried a pair of the lobster gloves but I found them a bit chilly to be honest, maybe I’m a bit wierd!

I need a pair that is warm but not sweaty and either has a stitched in liner that can’t pull out or no liner and separate inner glove.  Are the galibier ones worth a punt?

swanny853

Gore soft shell thermal gloves are fantastically breathable for the warmth, I almost never get the ‘sweaty gloves cooling down’ problem. They don’t like the rain though, get them wet and they stop being warm. The gore tex versions sacrifice a little breathability for waterproofing. The downside is they’re big, so you more or less have to pick one set- the flexibility from the dissents is about the only thing tempting me away from replacing like with like now my gore softshells are wearing out.

(I’m prepared to spend the money on gloves that work for me- I long ago found that the one thing that really makes me stop enjoying riding in bad conditions is cold and wet hands. Ride for hours without being able to feel my feet but cold fingers and I get bad tempered fast).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Too good for mtb but the Galibier Elysee leather gloves are a thing of loveliness and an aboutsolute bargain at £38

Their Grip VTT gloves were a real disappointment though. Complete mesh back which catches on every bit of velcro and really isn’t up to crasing through undergrowth on a mtb. More than that the fingers on mine seem twisted. They were only £14 so can’t complain too much but I’d not buy another pair.

These flashed up at me the other day and have lots of interesting features but I can’t work out how warm they’d be, if they’re in any way waterproof (that’s the point of their overshoes) – and they’re pricy. But the long cuffs, lobster when you need it etc all look smart.

SPATZ "GLOVZ" Race Gloves with fold-out wind blocking shell #GLOVZ

IHN

I thought about doing something like those Spatz gloves with current Pearl Izumi winter gloves (which are really comfy, but I get cold fingers when it’s *very* cold) and the ‘claws’ from my P-X lobster gloves (which I never thought were very comfortable and are just sitting in the cupboard)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Element 2.0

Semi lobster.

BadlyWiredDog

They don’t like the rain though, get them wet and they stop being warm. The gore tex versions sacrifice a little breathability for waterproofing.

My experience of mountain bike Gore-Tex gloves is that the way the construction works – outer shell / floating Gore-Tex liner / insulation plus inner, is that there’s enough movement within the glove to make them really disconcerting when you’re gripping the bars – like a motorcycle throttle with movement between the layers of the glove. I have an old, virtually unused pair of Gore Bikewear gloves that fit and feel great until you actually try riding with them.

There is a technology used in some Gore-Tex ski gloves which bonds the Gore-Tex liner to the other layers of the glove, but I’ve not seen it used for bike gloves. OutDry-lined gloves, if you can find them, work better ime.

alan1977
    Free Member

waiting on a pair of fox fire defend to come from CRC.. see how they are at the wekeend, although was confused by sizing so might be a no go

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Summer mitts when it’s chilly, pogies when it’s bitter.

Can’t understand the attraction of winter/waterproof/full-finger gloves over pogies tbh.

I made a mental PITA list from each option (after two years of trying both) and go with the option that has the shortest list 🤣

Gloves:
    PITA to get off and back on if wet, or hot, or tight etc
    PITA finding places to put in dark when taking off to do stuff
    PITA when want to touch things, operate things, retrieve money, tools, etc etc etc.
    PITA get sweaty and stinky need washing and drying
    PITA make bar-grips effectively much wider and then get numbness

Pogies:

PITA very occasionally when too hot on long climb and have to take hands out and on top of pogies which is harder to do on a technical climb.
    PITA checking for spiders before using 😬

Pogies win, and some. I like the Cyglove one because it has (accidental?) vents which are handy as I tend to run warm

If it gets too biting out (rare) I can either double up with thin summer race mitts or sew velcro closure strips on. Better IMO than having no vents

mrmo
    Free Member

Not so much a recommendation,more an observation. I have a set of assos early winter gloves. Gabba and arm warmers good to about 6degrees. With the Mille Gt jacket they are ok to about 2 degrees.

schmiken

Dissent 133 glove pack. Spot on.

kaiser
    Free Member

I personally find any glove with a w/p membrane causes dampness inside if working hard which goes cold during any stops leading to a chilly ride afterwards . The best gloves solution if your hands do sweat is a warm windproof glove with fleece lining which dries rapidly ala buffalo stuff. I carry a pair of army goretex? mitten shells which go on top during rain and are still fine to shift with. I’ve often thought that if you have a big ride ahead in very cold conditions you could treat your hands the night before ( and feet?) with Odaban or similar which stops sweating very effectively. In that way you could use the w/p glove without the damp chill issue.
    If anyone is interested in what looks to be suitable glove without the boil in a bag problem the Extremities Super Windy glove by Terra Nova is currently on sale on their website ..down to £12 from £45. I’ve also heard good reports on the Montane Extreme but that’s nearly £50.

trumpton
    Free Member

If it is really cold I use aldi/lidl padded insulated gloves. Most of the winter time even when it is cold I use normal dakine gloves.

swanny853

BadlyWiredDog, I can’t say that’s something I’ve noticed being much of a problem with mine. There’s some movement, but once you’re holding onto the bars you don’t notice.

endomick
    Free Member

100% brisker are great until you get them wet, go for hydromatic brisker.

kaiser
    Free Member

Re the Aldi gloves..I think the design is different between different years.I have one pair that feel awful as BWD says …the inner slides about independent of the outer creating a horrible feeling.I also didn’t find them particularly warm .On a bitter day in the blackdown hills hands were soon uncomfortable.I saw another pair recently with “biking” on the back and they seemed to have a better construction with no slippy/slidey feel.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the Aldi gloves and they are superb. They are a few years old though so as above, perhaps the design has been mucked about with or they frequently change supplier to get them as cheap as possible.

Mine have the fleece liner stitched in so it doesn’t come out when you take your hand out. I had some Endura ones before that didn’t have the liners stitched in and it’s bloody annoying trying to get your hand back in afterwards. Anyway mine were £5 and have been my go-to gloves for anything around freezing or below. Much above that and they soon get very sweaty.

Northwind

Pogies on the fatbike, they’re ace, and thematically appropriate.

I love my Glacier Perfect Curves though. 100% waterpoof, and warmer than any other bike glove I’ve ever used. I have slightly poor circulation- been a diabetic for 34 years, it’s probably that- and even the gloves that everyone else says are super warm, barely keep me functional. But these almost always keep my fingers not just working but comfortable and dextrous.

They do get sweaty, and they make your hands smell like they’ve been inside something really awful, which they possibly have. And the fat neoprene feels odd on the grips- I get used to it, I’m sure some people would hate it though.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got some Sports direct karrimor liners. They are about £4. Add them to any glove to add a layer of warmth.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, I wear some Polaris liners under Aldi winter gloves when it’s below zero. Total cost about £13 and they actually feel OK for techy riding.

superfli
    Free Member

I too suffer from cold hands, and anything below 10C and I’ll be using my 3/4 season gloves whilst others are still on summer gloves. For below 5C I use work safety gloves. Currently on these, although bought at end of last winter, so not really had much opportunity to test:
    https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-295-waterproof-thermal-work-gloves.html
    Only a tenner, so worth a punt.

I find my fingers suffer worst ont he first climb. Once I hit the downhills, and more tech bits, my hands will warm enough. I can imagine me using lobster gloves or mitts if I did road riding.

footflaps

Just bought some of these to try on…

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-estremo-winter-cycling-gloves/

Pretty thick insulation, can see these being pretty warm…

benp1

I have a range of Aldi and Lidl winter gloves. They vary over the years. Galibier is a similar warmth but better quality

Also have some Aldi neoprene ones, not a fan. Anyone want to try them?

Lobster ones without inner fingers work really well, thoug( inlos5 9ne and my current ones have the inner fingers

Pogies on the MTB are ace. Don’t have any on my drop bar commuter, wouldn’t work well with my bar end shifter.

mrb123
    Free Member

My full selection is as follows:

Coldest (I.e. sub zero) – Specialized lobsters. These came with a separate liner glove but I’ve never yet had to use it.

Cold (freezing to about 5 degrees) – Galibiers

Bit milder – some Gore windstopper gloves, also just picked up some Pactimo Alpine gloves in their Black Friday sale.

Just too cold for mitts – some non windproof Pactimo gloves that are a Powerstretch type fabric.

Wet – neoprene.

icycle
    Free Member

I have a pair of those Castelli Estremo. They aren’t bad, and look nice, but TBH I prefer the Aldi ones on the MTB.

As another Reynaud’s sufferer, I use Little Hotties handwarmers too. (Careful how you Google it)

13thfloormonk

I don’t understand the construction of most winter gloves, why have the waterproofing BENEATH the insulation?

Net result is waterlogged, cold insulation on top of a thin membrane.

I’d love to see something like those Spatz gloves but with a waterproof cover.

I think there are plenty of mountaineering products that do a similar job, Tough Bagz or something…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Who made the “glove system” a couple of years back?

IIRC you wore some combination of a couple of different layers depending on the weather. They were using (rebranded?) Defeet Duratouch gloves as the insulating layer?

isoo
    Free Member

One problem with gloves in general is that if you get sweaty then that’s going to impact the feel of the glove and will also cool your hands down.

I haven’t tried this myself, but this can be remedied by using rubber gloves as the first layer. This keeps the gloves dry and your hands warm (although they will be wrinkly and sweaty).

chaos

Who made the “glove system” a couple of years back?

That’ll be the Dissent 133 ones mentioned earlier.  I got some earlier this year after years of the problems everyone lists with sweaty waterproof gloves and so far so good.  Very nice being able to pull off the outers when too hot, add the silk liners if necessary and so on.

The Outdry (now ‘HDry’) outer does seem to be one of the best materials around for breathable waterproofing and it means you don’t get the issue of a wetted-out outer that others get.  However ultimately they are still gloves not mitts so can only keep you so warm.

In hindsight, I’d have just bought the outers as i have plenty of other lighter weight gloves i could have used for inners from fleecy to woolly numbers.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’m with Malvern Rider on this , summer short finger gloves year round . After about 5 minutes of riding my circulation kicks in and my hands keep themselves warm . Also with short finger gloves you can do a lot more things without having the faff of taking them off and putting them back on again . I suspect that in wet weather long finger gloves just hold water next to your skin which chills your hands and fully waterproof are so bulky that you can hardly feel the controls on your bike . I do own 1 pair of long finger gloves but they are seldom worn and when they are it’s to protect against gorse and brambles rather than cold weather . I realise that this might not work for everybody .

chakaping
    Free Member

I suspect that in wet weather long finger gloves just hold water next to your skin which chills your hands and fully waterproof are so bulky that you can hardly feel the controls on your bike

No and no, basically.

Summer long-fingered gloves might do that, but I use softshell ones when it’s wet.

And as in previous comments, if you select wisely there are good winter gloves for preserving bar feel.

**** riding in track mitts when it’s actually freezing out.

Northwind

13thfloormonk

I don’t understand the construction of most winter gloves, why have the waterproofing BENEATH the insulation?

Yup, this. I had some Fox Antifreezes which were very good, but were a windproof softshell outer glove with a separate waterproof liner. That just makes no sense.

13thfloormonk

Waterproof outer gloves

Waterproof outer mitt

Both look good, think I’d get the Dissent 133 glove first, maybe get the mitts next year when I’m back on the singlespeed!

Mugboo

I find 100% Briskers are fine for most of my riding. I only go thicker if its below zero and windy and high up.

Swirly
    Free Member

Buy mine in the classifieds!

Latest Classified Ads

£16 DHB ones

They’re surplus to requirements (received as a gift) as I already have some Aldi ones and some 661 winter ones both of which are good.

weeksy

The P/X ones seem excellent. I think they’ll be proper proper toasty !!!!

cookeaa

Re the Aldi gloves..I think the design is different between different years.I have one pair that feel awful as BWD says …the inner slides about independent of the outer creating a horrible feeling.I also didn’t find them particularly warm .On a bitter day in the blackdown hills hands were soon uncomfortable.I saw another pair recently with “biking” on the back and they seemed to have a better construction with no slippy/slidey feel

I think you’re right, two of the Aldi Pairs I have are the older “Biking” type ones and they are well put together, the oldest pair do seem to have lost some of their insulation value over time as the thinsulate stuff (or whatever is inside) has probably compacted/shifted with use and time.

Those ‘Spatz’ gloves looked sort of interesting, not the actual gloves but I like their idea of a pull over “shell” (assuming it’s water/wind proof) that you only use when the weather dictates, especially as it doesn’t add layers/bulk to the palm. Does anyone know if you can buy something like that on it’s own?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves… What you got then ?’ is closed to new replies.