Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • Why is no one showing any interest in my bike…?
  • spidersexual
    Free Member

My mint top spec Curtis ss bike that is.
    Seems odd because they are known to be decent frames and I’m not taking the piss on the price.
    Add it all up at rrp and it’s horrendous at £2700.

Advice welcome…

twoniner
    Free Member

It’s too big for me. Nice forks on it.

sc-xc

Please don’t take offence – but (in my opinion) it looks like its’ been built from a (very well stocked) spares box – nothing seems to match (again – just my opinion)

I don’t like the forks, the chainring looks weird, non matching stem/post, ugly grips…and some might argue that the wheels are too small 😉

Again – just my opinion, and I know nothing.

spidersexual
    Free Member

Yeah it could be down to frame size now you say it.
    Seems like folk on here like to get small frame sizes with a empire state building of a seatpost fitted.

crikey
    Free Member

Because it’s not worth £1000 (no offers)?

If it’s not selling at the price you want, it’s not selling.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Pretty much as the above by sx-xc, I don’t think anyone would ever sit down and spec that build. I suspect you’d have far more success if you split it down.

Houns

Looks like a pub bike, sorry.

Clean the tyres for a start, sort out the chain set and get matching post/stem

spidersexual
    Free Member

Sc xc – can assure you, nothing was built from spares box. All of it was new and xtr rotors weren’t available in six bolt at the time. The chain ring thing is like that as the cranks came as a double and personally couldn’t decide to take it off, least there’s options I suppose for gearing ;d

wwaswas

What sc-xc said. It’s not the sort of build that will appeal to most people on here as it’s too random. People who want a posh ss have their own component choices.

The Frame size isn’t really the issue.

I’d break it and sell the bits.

spidersexual
    Free Member

I genuinely reckon it’s worth a grand considering the parts and what it cost me not to mention it has seen 2 mile ride shortly after I got out of ICU

sam3000

It may be worth £2700 at rrp nut no one pays rrp for anything, unless they’re uber rich , stupid or don’t have the internet.

It’s only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

wwaswas

You asked why it’s not selling and people have told you. There’s no point arguing with them?

earl_brutus

How much for the brakesif yousplit?

spidersexual
    Free Member

Sam3000- I was simply pointing out the rrp as a reference which is why a £1k is a killer deal imho

lunge

Needs a silver seat post, clean tyres and a sorted out crankset. I really like it actually but, and this may not be what you want to hear, but it is ultimately a second hand, rigid single speed with a slightly odd build. That is selling for £1k. And that sadly is far too expensive.

crikey
    Free Member

which is why a £1k is a killer deal imho

But you’re not buying.

spidersexual
    Free Member

Who’s arguing, just stating facts/figures.

Yeah I’ll consider splitting at some point.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oh. My. Eyes. 😯

Definitely split and sell. Brakes will be £200… forks £120..? Frame (I dunnos… £250?) Crankset.. £120? Wheels £130?

I’m not sure how you’re gonna reach £1000 though.

Bonne Chance you sexual spidery thing you.. 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

The frames nice.
    Forks look wrong. Double chainset? Finishing kit not so great.

I think mine was nicer, was a total one off and sold for half that.
    A singlespeed is a very personal thing.

wwaswas

Fact: you Can’t sell It for £1000

Fact: people said it was overpriced for an odd build

Fact: you disagreed

lank45
    Free Member

I’d agree with the above, it looks like it’s made from an odd mix of parts which were on offer at the time you were building it up. In my experience stripping will get you more money but may leave you with parts left over. Also, don’t link to an old ad, relist the full ad, for some reason with this type of ad I don’t bother to click further!

sam3000

I can understand your frustration but as everything is now second hand and may feel like its brand new it isn’t and its not covered by warranty.

Its amazing what ss bikes you can club together for a grand, all new stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d rather give you a grand for that 8)

….as for the OPs. Well….it seems a bit of a Frankenstein creation.

You really want to break it up.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

how much for the front chain ring?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

No expense spared. Really? 😕

velocipede
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that Nicolai was cheap, wish I’d seen that!!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Linking to older ads is the first crime

spidersexual
    Free Member

So I suppose fatty’s like onone are nicer than a curtis lol

wwaswas

Not necessarily, just New and priced to sell?

Jamie
    Free Member

So I suppose fatty’s like onone are nicer than a curtis lol

There we go.

That moment where you don’t hear what you want to, and start getting annoyed.

oxym0r0n

Built my El Mariachi for ~£600 with proII/crests, Thomson/Middleburn/Carbon bar. New frame & bars, wheel build and front wheel, tyres + spare bits & built how I like it

As above: strange mix of parts + not to everyone’s taste + a bit pricey = split?

nwill1
    Free Member

As already said just split it, brakes & wheels will get you half way there!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Sorry bit how do you maintain chain tension with a double up front? I’m sure it’s blatantly obvious but that’s all new to my eyes. Good luck with the sale. I always have a look what you can get for 1k in clearance sections of online retailers before advertising my bikes. There’s probably some great deals on 26ers considering most people want bikes that’s bring the trail alive these days
    Edit: ah, no front mech. Got it.

davedodd
    Free Member

To be honest, I think it’s lovely. It will be too much for most people though as most go for cheap ss builds. I want to change from my genesis IO frame as it’s too big for me so if you do decide to split let me know how much you want for the frame. I still have a pipedream of finding a Surly 1×1 in 18″, they seem to be like rocking hose sh1t !!

Wally

You might not also be aware but CRC did a hugely discounted run of Curtis frames a while back and many are knocking around. So RRP is sadly unimportant. £1000 is simply alot of money, my SS cost £150 and that hurt. IMO Most SS’s are a cheap bodge of what is in the shed for winter and ideally parts gone out of fashion so much that it’s almost worthless but highly functional. Good luck – split, take the pain and move on.

slackalice
    Free Member

I prefer the non-mainstream bikes and Curtis, from the little I know, make nice frames. Different too, in so far as they are not a name I often see when out and about. I quite like the colour too.

For me, as you’re asking, I just get a feeling that yours is trying a bit too hard to be different in a purist, niche-y kinda way. And at £1000, a sense of it being a bit too contrived. Maybe that’s where the parts bin comments are coming from?

So, despite your rather alluring and possibly self-proclaiming monika 😉 and irrespective of what you feel is a ‘killer deal’, listen to the market and the many positive comments above, split it.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

You say the cranks came as a double, did they come like that as a suprise to you or did you order them like that on purpose? Because there is no way that someone spec-ing a custom ss bike from a lbs would decide ‘hmm I reckon a double would be good’, this along with the finishing kit containing items from Easton, raceface, Madison, van Nicholas AND tomac DO im afraid suggest that it was a spares/classifieds bike. There is however, no shame in this, so why don’t you just drop the price a little, lose the bar ends, buy a single ring, move the brake levers in a little and clean the tyres. Someone would love to give you a few bob short of a grand then!

bigblackshed

As said above.

It’s an odd build. Nothing matches, XTR brakes and cheap as chips bars and stem. Chain set is not desirable. Quoting RRP, everyone can make their bike sound top draw, but what it’s really “worth” is another matter. Chain Reaction have the chain set at 77% off. RRP £649, sale price £148.

Personally I’d split it.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ill give you twelfty

RoganJosh
    Free Member

The chainset is £650?! Sell it on it’s own definitely, unless you bought it cheap in the sale and chucked it on just to boost it’s worth… Sorry, rrp.

It’s not worth it if it’s not the right part, if I took the saddle off my bike and advertised it for sale with a dfs sofa instead it doesn’t mean it’s worth more.

It’s still a nice frame with some solid kit tho, sort it, or split it. I wish you the best.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Why is no one showing any interest in my bike…?’ is closed to new replies.