• This topic has 111 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Stu_N.
Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?
  • footflaps

Can’t see mine for the beer cans

Amateur! Should be empty JD bottles…

Gary_M
    Free Member

As I’ve already said I’m not bothered about anyone else’s vehicle, just mine.

But you crack on anyway, whatever makes you happy.

ummmm

Why do so many people still display the ‘tax disc’ on their vehicles?

Posing a question of why someone does something doesn’t mean it bothers you that they do it. Not in my world anyway.

Interesting use of boldness though.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’ll wager this won’t feature in the “Thread of the Year” nominations, not even in Pedant’s Corner.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Can’t see mine for the beer cans

😀

I remember a certain family-member’s old van. The cab was littered with Newcastle Brown bottles. I also remember the hilarity when one rolled under the pedals. The certain family-member had to abort the cigarette he was rolling at the time in order to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. And he almost spilled his beer!

*this was ‘back in the day’

Gary_M
    Free Member

But good enough for you to post on it. However I do bow to your awesome threads surroundedbyhills including ‘Golf – a nice relaxing Sunday’, ‘What have you been “told off for” lately?’ and the slightly camp entitled ‘So how do you suss out another rider?’. Truly awe inspiring.

To be honest I didn’t expect the overwhelmingly positive response I’ve received, it’s heart warming and I’m not afraid to admit I’ve fought back the tears on quite a few occasions.

I actually heard someone in the office say ‘back in the day’ in all seriousness this morning. A grown up to, god I hate that phrase.

Cougar

I’ll wager this won’t feature in the “Thread of the Year” nominations, not even in Pedant’s Corner.

I think you’ll find it’s Pedant’s Vertex.

scotroutes

Still on one car (in date), still on the van (out of date) and removed from the other car when it expired at the end of October.

Is there any permutation there that isn’t annoying someone?

Gary_M
    Free Member

And how could I possibly have missed ‘Bin thieves – Piss boiling’, a true contender 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Truly awe inspiring.

Brought to you by the poster of this awe inspiring thread. Someone who cares so little that they.. ah fekkit life’s just too short

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gary – I’ve just stuck yours back on – just in case.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks, did you go through my bins?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just cannot be arsed to lean across and remove it and then get something to remove the sticky circle. Maybe if I sat that side of the acr I might.
    Its only a car, something lower in importance than soft bog paper.

robmorphet
    Free Member

I use to know someone who would spend his lunch walking around supermarket car parks noting down cars with expired tax discs and then grassing them up. He was called Andy Haslam. Really.

breadcrumb

I’ll take mine out next time I’m cleaning the inside of my windscreen. But seeing as it’s bound to leave some kind of mark on the glass which would bug me I’m in no rush.

CountZero

Finally took mine off last week. Got my reminder so I’ll be going the monthly DD route.
    Driving up to London on Monday, asked my mate who was driving why he still had his on the screen, he just hadn’t got around to it either, so I pulled it off and put it in the glove box..
    Couldn’t give a toss whether people leave their discs on or not, TBH, I don’t even notice, seeing as how I barely noticed my own disc was still on the screen a fortnight after it stopped being necessary.
    Assholes using mobile phones while driving, now that I notice, and get very cross about.
    Bugger all I can do about it, though…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Last time I walked through a car park in the UK (about a month ago) probably 70% of cars still had them, but they were all still valid and I’m pretty sure you’re only allowed to take it off when you renew and go paperless. Until then you need to keep it displayed, no?

breadcrumb

No, valid discs are okay to be removed.

GrahamS

Nope.

From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle. If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle and destroyed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Though I suspect that belief is common and probably one of the reasons there are still so many.

waihiboy
    Free Member

not meaning to sound sarcastic in the slightest..

Do you still have it displayed?

yes, because I can’t be arsed to take it off.

ill probably just leave it on there for posterity.

SaxonRider

Mine is still in because if I remove it, the symmetry of the university parking pass and the tax disc will be entirely lost, and it will look like I just stuck a parking pass in the middle of my wind screen.

ski
    Free Member

I managed to pull half of my holder off, now I have a smeary glue mess and half a tax disc holder!

GrahamS

Glue? Mine was just in a plastic film thing that you lick and stick to the window.

I think if I had a holder glued to the window I’d be tempted to leave it!

samuri
    Free Member

I keep telling myself I should remove it, I always forget though. who cares?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a collection of old tax disks, may from completely different vehicles, I like to switch them around on different days, sometimes I change them twice or even three times a day.

Imagine repeatedly walking past my car and noticing that they keep changing.

how does that make you feel.

Imagine, red. blue. red. green from a maxi.

oh dear.

milky1980
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just bought a new car so no disc in it whatsoever.

Looks wrong somehow.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Three reasons I’ve kept mine:

1) The holder reminds me I’m driving a Honda, I paid for it to spare me the shame of people knowing where I bought it from.

2) If I removed the holder it would make my Black Mesa parking permit look wonky. So I didn’t.

3) It always serves as a yearly reminder to renew it when I (inevitably) finish a night shift and realise it expired overnight.

4) I’m too lazy. This is reinforced by my lack of editing effort.

JulianA
    Free Member

I will ask the chauffeur why he hasn’t removed it and report back.

MrOvershoot

Make a display with them

My wife did this with some old coach ones

ricky1
    Free Member

I keep mine on because I’m old skool !!!

csb

On getting caught without valid tax – won’t they just fine people automatically who don’t renew in time? So first you’ll know is a fine in the post a while after it expired?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nostalgia

Stu_N

Haha – good reminder. Was reading STW and finishing cup of tea before cleaning the car windscreen.

Just taken mine off now, had a crappy cut-out-yourself disc one as renewed in August and they’d run out of proper paper. Got rid of the satnav sucker marks from summer holiday and the remains of a 2012 Swiss motorway vignette at the same time. So I can say I’ve achieved something today. Yay!

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?’ is closed to new replies.