• This topic has 111 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Stu_N.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

As I’m sure you all know the abolition of the vehicle tax disc* came into force on 1st October this year.

As soon as the law changed I removed the discs as I hate anything stuck to car windows front or rear.

But the vast majority, 1 in 20 from the office car park quick poll have removed it, still have the thing stuck on their window.

Do you still have it displayed? I presume most people don’t really care but they just annoy me.

*the vehicle tax disc is what you used to get when you paid Vehicle Excise Duty, not car tax 🙂

Drac

But the vast majority, 1 in 20 from the office car park quick poll, still have the thing stuck on their window.

That’s surely a minority?

Me I haven’t taken it down as it really doesn’t bother me.

parkesie
    Free Member

Because they dont know / dont care.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I took my disc off on the car the day after it was abolished, the van still has it on..

Can’t say I’m that bovvered TBH.

LHS
    Free Member

I’m guessing other people aren’t anally OCD.

My next door neighbour was out doing is the morning it came into effect. He cleans and polishes his Golf R32 3 times a week and was straight out there removing the disc and holder and using windowleen to get rid of any trace. Not got anything better to do?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m guessing other people aren’t anally OCD.

Why is removing something you don’t need anally OCD.

My next door neighbour was out doing is the morning it came into effect. He cleans and polishes his Golf R32 3 times a week and was straight out there removing the disc and holder and using windowleen to get rid of any trace

Do you have nothing better to do than watch your neighbour on a Wednesday morning

jambalaya
    Free Member

I keep meaning to take it off, this serves as a reminder.

beej

I like my holder, it’s Type-R branded and I had it on my old Integra. I need to find another logo to go in it.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine will stay with the slowly fading current disc still in place.

chvck
    Free Member

Me I haven’t taken it down as it really doesn’t bother me.

+1, hadn’t even thought about it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

same reason i havent washed exterior of the van or stuck any wheel trims on it.

its a tool – who cares if a piece of paper is in the corner of the window not obstructing my view or causing me any harm ?

when i get my landy back on the road though im going to display the original tax disk – December 1988 – just because.

Dolcered

no intention of taking it down.

Drac

I think he was referring to “As soon as the law changed I removed the discs” why do it as soon as it changed?

Then there’s “I presume most people don’t really care but they just annoy me.”

Why would someone else not removing one annoy you?

GrahamS

Think I’m the only car in my street without a tax disc.
    I’ve heard a few people say something along the lines of “I’ve paid for so I’ll display it”

Apparently having a little bit of paper to show for their £130 makes them feel better. 😕

Personally I was glad to be shot of it.

stumpy01

Mine has got all the tax discs in it, since I’ve owned the car.
    I quite like the task of tearing the perforations of a new tax disc and putting it in it’s place. The tax disc is quite a nice design.

I’m in no hurry to get rid of mine.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve barely driven my car this month and have no urgent desire to remove it. I’ll do it when I get round to it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine is stuck in with duct tape, used when the holder fell off, not sure if it’s ever going to come off.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t even wash my car – no way I’d ever get around to removing a sticker from the window.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id be happier if folk paid more attention to the mechanics of their cars than window stickers…..

like having fully working lights front and rear.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would someone else not removing one annoy you?

Not on other people’s vehicles, just on mine.

why do it as soon as it changed?

The disc expired end of September on one car and I did both at the same time, since it only took about 10 seconds to remove.

richmtb

Guilty as charged here too.

I might find a nice cycling logo to replace it though.

Maybe we should come up with one?

footflaps

Mine came with the car and will go back with the car at the end of the year (1 year lease). Couldn’t give a toss about whether it has one or not.

Drac

Not on other people’s vehicles, just on mine.

Ah!

Mine will be removed in April when I send my car back and get a new one.

Pook

So cyclists know i’m better than them, pleb.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m keeping mine so I can wave it in anger at bloody cyclists who don’t pay road tax.

jon1973
    Free Member

Do you still have it displayed? I presume most people don’t really care but they just annoy me

I’ve had one in the car window for the last 23 year of driving, can’t say I really notice it any more, so never really occurred to me to remove it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a business opportunity to supply an alternative disc?!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a business opportunity to supply an alternative disc?!

Bearing in mind most people haven’t removed it because they either don’t care or aren’t aware they don’t need to then I would say no.

konabunny
    Free Member

It was more the counting the other cars in the car park and posting threads on the internet 😉

Houns

If it wasn’t for stw I wouldn’t even have known about it.

I’ll remove it when it runs out probably. I still have my old works carpark pass on my windscreen too

martinhutch

Don’t care. It’s a metal box that takes me places. As long as it moves and is not so grimly filthy that I catch some horrible rash from the interior it can stay as it is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

when i get my landy back on the road though im going to display the original tax disk – December 1988 – just because.

+1, my midgets getting it’s original disk back if i can still find it.

My C-max’s is already relegated to the quaterlight so woul dactualy take a specialy effort to walk round the car and remove it.

Now that I know it anoys people it may stay there even longer!

bikebouy
    Free Member

To add further to my comments above..

I’ve just renewed my Van Tax, did it online about 10mins ago and it was totally painless and easy as well riding a bike.
    Have to say the Gov website is a master piece of work, clean, clear, succinct, minimal screens scroll throughs and simple. To be honest I’m totally surprised, in a good way.

The Van disc was in the window, served as a reminder I guess..

peteimpreza

Anyone been “pinged” by ANPR since the change?

In my area the Police prescence is virtually non esistent, I can’t see any government agency taking the time, trouble or money to monitor the local vehicles by way of ANPR.

Seems like there will be a massive increase in vehicles without the correct VED once the general public cotton on no one is monitoring the situatuion.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It was more the counting the other cars in the car park and posting threads on the internet

Canteen discussion, we can see the whole car park from the canteen, quick count and bobs your uncle.

Runs off to check konabunny’s posts, yep full of random shite 🙂

Now that I know it anoys people it may stay there even longer!

Er bearing in mind I don’t own your c-max, (and would never own any c-max for that matter), then it doesn’t annoy me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I drive on the M3/A3/M25/M1/A1/M27 and to be honest if there are ANPR’s then they’re gonna be all over these roads aren’t they 😆
    I guess I’ve been pinged on more than one occasion..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Anyone been “pinged” by ANPR since the change?”

my buddy bought a new car last month.

had a valid tax disk in the window – so that was that he thought.

wasnt till yesterday he asked me why he had a reminder through with his new v5 about taxing it….

driving all that time without being pinged by anpr…. just a lucky lad not to have an accident.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Seems like there will be a massive increase in vehicles without the correct VED once the general public cotton on no one is monitoring the situatuion.

But it isn’t just monitored by ANPR though. You have to either SORN or pay duty on a vehicle or the system will pick that up. I guess you could SORN it and drive on the road but if thats the case you would have done that pre abolition of the disc.

pictonroad

footflaps – Member
    Mine came with the car and will go back with the car at the end of the year (1 year lease). Couldn’t give a toss about whether it has one or not.

This, have you seen how far away it is? it’s all the way over there in that corner of the car, don’t think I’ve ever been over there, not going to start now.

GrahamS

Anyone been “pinged” by ANPR since the change?

No idea. How would I know?

(Assuming everything is sound and legal with the car, which I’m pretty sure it is)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Why do so many people still display the 'tax disc' on their vehicles?’ is closed to new replies.