Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • KMX Karts – any experience?
  • ThePinkster

I’m going to be off 2 wheels for quite a while due to a knackered shoulder and am missing the 2 wheeled experience but have recently come across KMX Karts which look good fun and a possible alternative for commuting when I’m back at work (can’t drive either at the mo’).

The KMX looks like I’ll still be able to steer it as lit doesn’t involve too much forward motion in the shoulder which is my big problem so looks quite promising.

Anyone here had real world experience of them?

seanthesheap
    Free Member

They look a little bargain basement, also check out catrike, the villager looks like it should have ground clearance for a bit of off road, and also ice trikes adventure, they are a bit spendy though.

rwamartin
    Free Member

We have kmx karts at the bike mobility place I volunteer at. They’re ok but I’d describe them as being towards the bottom of the better stuff. If you’re serious about a recumbent I’d speak with Kevin Dunseath at D-Tek in Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire (01353 648177). He’s the guru and will sort you out. Difficult to get hold of sometimes but worth the effort.

Rich.

keaboing
    Free Member

ICE Trikes are excellent, and British.

ThePinkster

Cheers folks. The biggest problem I have with most recumbents is the huge cost of them, hence the question about KMX Karts.

Will check out those mentioned though, thanks.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cheers folks. The biggest problem I have with most recumbents is the huge cost of them, hence the question about KMX Karts.

Recumbents are actually much of a muchness with equivalent quality conventional bikes nowadays – not surprising as the frames are mass-produced in the same far-Eastern factories.

If I’m allowed a little plug, have a look at the HPVelotechnik trikes – very, very well made, and with folding and full suspension options.

ThePinkster

Cheers Ben, shall do.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Saw one with a kiddy trailer behind at Didcot Sainburys. The owner looked happy enough.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Funny I just saw this after a quick site search – as just purchased an older KMX (ST Class) for my wife to try. She has plated clavicle fracture and shoulder probs (impingement and reactive arthritis, very limited usable movement) not to mention bone density issues, so recumbent trike with USS is the only way to go. She loved it immediately, just gave it a service yesterday and she’s burning around on it whooping like a maniac. It has 24″ rear and 16″ front wheels, discs all round, Maxxis Hookworms, mesh seat (nice and cool) and a rear rack. Clearance is good for kerbs. tbh it’s built to take punishment so might not be refined as per more roadie trikes but is massively confidence inspiring. Main thing is she reports no shoulder pain when steering, and she still can’t drive a car for the pain and risk. Looking at KMX Cobra in the future maybe…

nb – learned the hard way that back brake is only useful for drifting, combined emergency braking and parking brake. Its a front heavy contraption and front brakes need to be applied gently or else rear end can flip up and shoots you fwd out of the seat.

Front brakes are on one lever and need expert balancing to prevent being jerked left or right when braking firmly.

It’s a hoot when setup correctly, am right now working on my version of the universal trike carrier so we can slap it on the roof and I can get the Dahon Speed in the boot for co-explorating weekends, long denied to us on account of health issues. Big plus – the ‘bent trike raises smiles wherever you go.

TiRed

Heavy, fun. I have been known to squeeze myself onto the kids KMX Kart 😳 . I’m sure the adult ones ride a lot better, but they are heavy. Catrike would be my choice for lightness

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Had a go at the York Sky-ride. Not sure if I’d want to use one on a commute. I’d feel very vulnerable in traffic as they are low.

Saying that I had a good laugh racing around a tennis court. I was taking the outside line to avoid the kids on the inside, and it is possible to get a fair amount of speed up. The cornering was a bit dicey though. Felt like it was going to flip, or the tires were going to roll off the rims.

I’d like to try a modified one with larger and cambered wheels for stability.

If you are near York then Go Cycling were the firm running the KMX rides.

Want an adult sized CrazyKart instead though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

tallpaul just reminded me, before we made the jump and bought one we were set to hire one for an hr or so at the bike hire place Kingsbury Water Park nr Tamworth, about 8 quid an hr if I remember correctly. Agree you feel vulnerable on roads, but you do tend to get noticed more on account of being an unusual sight, just feels iffy on blind bends. I just ordered a couple of 5ft hi viz flagpoles for the back, and tbh most our rides will be cycle trails with the odd back lane transfers.

Haven’t felt prone to flipping yet tbh, its so low and the 16″ wheels are slightly cambered. The more recent adult ones use 20″ and larger. I’d try one out before spunking many monkeys on something else.

ThePinkster

Hi guys, just picked up your replies. Much appreciated thanks.

I’m not that concerned about the weight and can’t afford the more expensive trikes so the KMX is the most likely option.

There’s a place relatively near to me in Wrexham that has test models so depending on how things go at the hospital over the next few weeks it’s certainly sounding like a possibility.

Cheers

ampthill

I had a blast on one along a sustrans path in Devon

It was fun and I can see that it would allow riding for people who can’t ride for many reasons

But I’m not so sure about traffic

Lummox

I’ve met the original designer of the kmx karts, nice chap. I also know that recently he took all his work colleagues out for a social day involving the karts.

Needless to say the karts where used beyond their intended purposes and held together fine.

Might not be british constructed but certainly british born.

ampthill

I think that guy near Cambridge my do rental by the month as an option

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘KMX Karts – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.