Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Who’s been out riding in the snow then? :D
  • lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

The snow only hit east Cornwall yesterday which got me home early and off completely today as my job involves getting big heavy loads in and out by road. But it’s been -5 for most of the week which didn’t stop me riding to work despite losing my gloves last week.

Went out to the woods with the dog today;

He’s got no respect for braking distances and is generally a liability to ride with so I’m hoping to go out with just the bike tomorrow and shred it to da knar etc..

jam-bo

Got out for another spin just before dark. Still windy but not as bad as yesterday. Icey as **** everywhere exposed and every bit of shelter has a massive drift behind it. All the Devon lanes (high hedges) have a 6ft drifts in them.

https://instagram.com/p/Bf1P0YhHU7z/

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Hey Jim let me know if you fancy coming over Lanson way to have a go on our local downhillish trails sometime. They’re more fun when the weather’s better to fair..

hardtailonly

It’s been brilliant this week.

Double (extended) commutes in light snow Tuesday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BftgoflnPik/

*Working from home lunch ride Wednesday.

*Working from home lunch trail run Thursday.

Day off ‘drift’ riding today

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf09VHlH-QG/

It’s all gradually starting to melt now though …

jam-bo

@lazlowoodbine Is that landlake? I’ve not been there in a while but my mate rob and his lad ride there a fair bit.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Yep, my brother, me and some mates built the first top-to-bottom tracks there years ago and it’s evolved from there.

It was lovely last weekend what with the few dry days beforehand but as you probably know a little bit of damp turns it into a skid pan. Frozen it’s pretty good.

tonyg2003

I’m properly jealous of all the snow riding pics. It’s the first time we’ve had a good layer of snow in Surrey for quite a few years and I’m in Singapore with a cold and jet lag (it’s 5am and I can’t get to sleep).😡

h4muf
    Free Member

IMG_20180301_133005_856 by lee murfinFlickr2BBcode LITE

Steady 14 miler in this! Slow going!!

colournoise

Finally stopped snowing long enough for me to want to get out on the not-quite-fat-bike this afternoon. Amazing to have the woods entirely to myself (apart from the kites and muntjacs).

ontor
    Free Member

insert pic here. bloody forum

kcr
    Free Member

The riding conditions were pretty good, but some of the drifts that were axle deep on the way out were knee deep coming back.

rickmeister

Posting photos is a black art….

rickmeister

Popped to the local brewery for some hot sausage action and a beer…

Typical Schwarzwald ..

muggomagic

Took the new Capra for its first taste of singletrack in Stanmer park yesterday

Capra in snowy Stanmer

DrT
    Free Member

A couple of awesome rides turning easy local loops into a great adventure 🙂

High winds, drifting snow and not a lot of visibility made riding along Harlaw road a little difficult:-

Things were much nicer lower down:-

Still tough going in the trees:-

dahedd
    Free Member

Has Thursday off so deposited the kids at primary school & headed up into the hills behind Forres with the Fatbike.  We’ve missed the worst of it in Morayshire but still found 4-5″ of fresh powder above Loch Romach. First up the hill totally untouched, clear blue skies, no wind, just amazing weather to be out in, 15 miles of awesomeness.

Heaps of pics on my FB page UK Fatbike club page, ill have to actually use my instragram a/c to post on here.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

MTB is out of service so no fun to be had en piste.  My favourite 3spd Netherlander soldiers on regardless.  Biggest challenge was finding the cycle path:

Alex

Wine run 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Rickmeister that last pic of yrs is a cracker

dumbbot
    Free Member

No, mother nature can **** right off.

whitestone
    Free Member

A short but hard work loop round our local hills.

This snow bank was just firm enough to ride

This one wasn’t!

It was the usual case of some good riding with bits that were very frustrating

We’d ridden this path on Wednesday morning after our February Bivy-a-Month. Then it was 30cm deep but in the intervening three days the wind has stripped it away

Good fun but hard work. It took four hours for just 20km! It’s a bit much when you are wearing your full winter mountaineering kit to go biking.

oliverracing

Snowy ride

Snowy ride

Went out for a bible with the family. Ended up doing mostly tracks/road as all the paths were 50cm+ snowdrifts. Came across a fair few ditched cars and sections of road that were completely covered by 100cm+ of snow for 200m+  (for reference the top pic is a main road and the only clear bit was a verge that’s normally about 30-40cm high)

MoreCashThanDash

Sneaked a quick 10 mile local loop in this morning – weird conditions, the wind has cleared the trails completely in places, lots of compacted snow and ice that the Ice Spikers clung to gloriously, then foot deep powdery stuff that I just couldn’t get get proper traction in

dahedd
    Free Member

Absolutely nae idea if this will work but link to some of my pics from Thursday.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@dahedd Are they Specialized Fat Ground Control tyres?

How have you found them on various surfaces, with and without snow/ice?

molgrips
    Free Member

Set off yesterday on nice snowy lanes with only one set of car tyre tracks, wondering why I didn’t have big snow drifts.  Then about a mile from home ran into this

Just about enough room for me to get through between the snow and the hedge, but not really my bike – had to throw it over the drifts and drag it above my head as I sank into my knees.  The going got a bit easier after that but the drifts got bigger:

I reckon that’s a ten foot drift.  Ground is level with the road on that side of the hedge.

Only did about a 5 mile ‘road’ ride but it was pretty epic. Never seen snow like that outside the mountains.

dahedd
    Free Member

Yeah mate. Ground Control 4.6 running them about 9psi normally, down to about 7 on Thursday. Probably could have gone lower.

Really like them, far better than the Floaters I was using.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice snowdrifts molgrips.

roger_mellie

roger_mellie

roger_mellie

^^ Bit melty round these parts now.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I was planning on riding upto the Quantocks from home today but anything more than a slight hill was unrideable so had to make do with 10 miles down the local canal/river then around town to see what was open.

Managed to get myself filmed at the local hospital riding past in the middle of a tv news report and overtake a few struggling roadies spinning away on slick tyres.

My legs feel like I’ve done 20 miles!

TiRed

25 km ride to Swinley, followed by a bimble around Blue and a 50 km ride home. This was on the cross bike. Whilst the tyres were OK on the road, they left a lot to be desired in the snow.

What cross tyres for snow?

ontor
    Free Member

ok, i give up. how do i embed instagam?

dahedd
    Free Member

I just did it tonight for the first time ever. Uploaded some pics to instagram then copied & pasted the address. I think it worked, at least one did.

roverpig

I took the fatbike to coast to escape the worst of the snow. I know fatbikes are supposed to be made for snow and they are great in a few inches of the stuff (like I had today), but much more than that (and we’ve got loads) then they are still just a slog. Plus with it being the coast, if I got fed up of the snow I could always bail out to the beach 🙂

dahedd
    Free Member

Ignore

dahedd
    Free Member

No idea if this will work.

ontor
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Who’s been out riding in the snow then? :D’ is closed to new replies.