Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Who’s been out riding in the snow then? :D
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yesterday looked horrible but today there was too much snow to get the car out of the drive so the bike was the only choice for something to do! Nothing technical but I did just over 14 miles and 1500ft climbing, mostly on bridleways but the pic below is somewhere in Lady Cannings. I’ve never been there before but i minced down one of thew trails through snowdrifts until i realised I couldn’t feel my face and the snow was coming hard and sideways so I retired to the pub for a cup of tea then took the same bridleways back down then back up to home past all the cars who couldn’t get up the hill! Helped push a couple…..

It was chuffin’ freezing but I had a great time! 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GCjWmb]IMG_0489[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Too much snow here and the windchill is unbelievable.  If something went wrong it could turn nasty very easily!

DezB
    Free Member

Still no snow here. But I was out at 6:30am riding on hard, frosty ground with the dog. Only for 1/2 hour but my thumbs were completely numb by the time I got home.

whitestone
    Free Member

Went out for a bivy last night (got down to -8C) so a bit of night riding in the snow – great fun until you catch the edge of a rut that’s completely hidden! Headed home at 0630 this morning in more snow with an incoming snow shower, great fun until I caught the edge of a completely hidden rut!

Note to self: Van Helgas make an absolute racket on the road, even a snowy road 🙂

matt_outandabout

As posted on other thread, oh yes.

@funkydunc
    – it’s first commute I’ve done with winter hill gear bag in my pack.

titusrider
    Free Member

Been out in the inch or two that’s in the Surrey hills

had a wonderful ride, beautiful views, really grippy snow and not a drop of mud

caught the handlebars on a fence on the way home and knee’d the fork crown hard, stings a bit!

TiRed

Icy cold last night (-5) but I managed two hours on the road. Trike to work today, but no snow to speak of.

nedrapier

Planning a 35 miler tomorrow. This

If something went wrong it could turn nasty very easily!

and this

great fun until you catch the edge of a rut that’s completely hidden!

are tempering my enthusiasm slightly!  It’s not going to be the quickest ride ever, but it shouldn’t be the slowest.  I’m mainly going because it’s usually a muddy slog in winter, so I want to get a ride in while it’s frozen hard.  I’d be taking the fatbike for the frozen chunder whether there was snow or not.

teamslug
    Free Member

Went out yesterday on wife’s fat bike but needed more snow…boy did we get it today. I let the tyres down and had a blast round. First time it’s been used for one of the purposes it was designed for. Good fun and it’s good when you fall off cos it’s nice and soft. You are right about the wind chill though. Evil.

jeffl

This was the cycle into work, south of Sheffield.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Oh, bloody hell, I didn’t realise that I’d bumped into the living leg end* that is La Poddy…!

(I was the guy riding Cooking On Gas the wrong way** for reference)

Carried on along Houdkirk, then back down Blacka. For a flat fireroad/landy track, Houndkirk was epic. Ridiculous windchill and very flat light so I had no idea what I was riding over until after I’d hit it. Not helped by my 2-ride old Pikes going VERY stiff. I hadn’t realised that was still a thing (not that I spend much time riding in -lots°C)

*Better than being a living bell end

**yes, shoot me, seemed like a good idea at the time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hi Jon! Nice to meet you, it was flipping freezing up there wasn’t it? 🙂 I’d have loved to hang around for a natter but my face was freezing up and I didn’t like it!

whitestone
    Free Member

@jonEdwards – I thought something along those lines myself this morning. Riding a bike in fresh snow is very much like skiing powder or in a white out: you’ve no idea what the hell is happening down there you’ve just got to go with the flow. I probably had way too much pressure* in the tyres (8.5psi) for the temperature and bounced around a bit.

*Rookie error – I checked the pressures while in the house not outside in the temperature I was going to be riding in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If something went wrong it could turn nasty very easily!

Hence why I stayed on bridleways mostly and wasn’t really ever more then 1/2 mile from civilisation 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I nipped out at 9-10pm last night on the South Downs after family duties finished.

Amazing ride, clear sky, loads of snow, could see for miles.

Garmin said it was -8

josemctavish
    Free Member

Extended my commute and took the mountain bike this morning – headwind was a killer on the way back though!

JAG

I haven’t had a chance yet but this was a few weeks ago 😀

roverpig

Just a quick loop from the house and onto a local hill. I stuck to the back roads, some of which are already impassable to traffic. Hiking through snow drifts while the wind tries to rip the bike off your shoulders and the skin off your face was a little different 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hoping to nip out this afternoon on hard frosty trails, our snow’s not due til tonight.  Hoping that my wife has a day off work too as the kids are already off and I want to ride!

shifter
    Free Member

Managed a mighty 17km, crossed no contours but the bit into the wind was completely exposed. 32:16 killed me.

jag61

JAG where is that? pub looks familiar used to live round there many moons ago well Alcester

wwaswas

snowpaul
    Free Member

Hi,

I managed a stunning 2 hr fatbike ride up from my door in the dales this pm. The fells were rock solid with some huge drifts in places that had me walking at times. So much fun apart from a savage wind. JUST warm enough with overtrousers and ski gloves…

I didnt feel like doing much more re windchill…. I told people were I was going as I wouldnt want to wait for days for help to arrive re a fall… was way colder than yesterdays outing !

Happy trails,

Paul

garethc
    Free Member

Yesterday and today out on the local loop (roads are all closed / impassable).  Loving the North Pennines…

woody2000

Took the MTB for the commute this morning, was ace.  Just about to head home the same way 🙂

Racing Ralphs on a 45mm rim make for a surprisingly good snow tyre!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Went out yesterday and crashed when front wheel touched the edge of a rut in a landrover track. Fell onto my back on the edge of the paraĺlel rut. Smashed ribs. On my own. No mobile signal. Long painful walk to nearest house. Trip to A&E. Can’t move. Lesson learnt.

lowey

Bit Nippy last night!

Great fun

slowbloke
    Free Member

Bikepark Wales in the snow – that was a great day!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went out last night. It was -6! Did my local bridleway/footpath loop which is usualy a nightmare this time of year due to mud and horse hooves, but the frozen mud plus fat bike tyres was an incredibly grippy combination just stuttering over the top of it!

Debating another trip out tonight but it’s been sunny today so I’m not sure it’ll be as pleasant.

sweepy
    Free Member

I was out last night, tonight I’m debating skis or bike.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Glorious 0530 ride on the Sarf Downs near Eastbourne.  About 1/2 inch of snow and granite hard ground and -9.2°C.  Very still, however took the dogs for a walk at 1630 and the wind chill was painful !

molgrips
    Free Member

It was gorgeous out on hard ground.  Local loop faster than even in the summer.  Snowed a little whilst I was out, whitened everything up.  Epic 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

Loads of snow to fall here tonight (Northern Ireland) so plan a maiden ride on my new Salsa Vaya, should be a hoot😃

AlasdairMc

Sent home early when the building closed, which meant daytime fat biking. OK then, only if you insist…

pennine
    Free Member

Baildon Moor West Yorkshire this morning. Strong winds & heavy snow made this moorland road almost impassable. Apart from abandoned cars I saw nothing moving.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GCykDY]P1100154[/url] by Pennine

sweepy
    Free Member

Cobblers, I picked wrong. Went for skis but was too lazy to drive up to Glenmore so went round the woods. Would have been a good bike ride but a bit shit on the skis.

So I’m back home already and its getting a bit late to think again. Waste of a good evening.

rickmeister

I’m stuck trying to understand how to add pictures from Flikr…. tried the forum help… couldn’t crack it…

jamesmio
    Free Member

Quick head-clearing slide around the local woods. The only thing more ridiculous than this was that I have a perfectly good fat bike that I left at the bike shop last night…

Wee Cotic did me proud though.

househusband

I’m stuck trying to understand how to add pictures from Flikr…. tried the forum help… couldn’t crack it…

Easy!

Rick

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Who’s been out riding in the snow then? :D’ is closed to new replies.