• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 38,481 through 38,520 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • TiRed

1% of reported cases or 1% of the weekly ONS survey cases?

It’s 1% of At Risk patients. One can estimate the ONS rate and convert to at risk patients (elderly, overweight, immunocompromised…). Previously it was about 2% of reported cases, but cases are now unreliable. Real World Evidence observational studies have confirmed this rate too for later strains. For WT it was about 6% of at risk patients.

fossy

From relatives that have caught it, you are most at risk indoors/confined places where you are with the same people for a period of time – e.g. airport/flights and long rail travel. All have caught it after these.

onehundredthidiot

Mrs100th just tested positive. Guess when my holidays start, yep tomorrow. Round 1 hit me pretty hard don’t fancy another round.

ernielynch

Surprisingly air travel, as long as passengers wear masks and follow the necessary precautions, is apparently actually low covid transmission risk

https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/travelers/health/low-risk-transmission/

richardkennerley

I’m pretty confident my recent COVID infection was picked up on a flight! If not the plane (full of people coughing their tits off) then the queue for passport control where we snaked back and forth past people coughing their tits off.

Hospital I work at is reintroducing face masks as of today, they got rid of them about 4 weeks ago.

Greybeard
    Free Member

When you’re sitting on plane, with the engines running (they power the ventilation) is low risk, but check-in queues etc will be high risk.

dantsw13

Sadly masks on flights has nearly disappered.

Flaperon

When you’re sitting on plane, with the engines running (they power the ventilation) is low risk, but check-in queues etc will be high risk.

In general if passengers or crew are on board at the moment the air conditioning will be running.

If you’re going to catch COVID it’ll be on the way to the airport or at security.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Covid positive first timer here tonight.

Felt bit tired this morning but ok, by lunchtime quite a painful headache right above the eyes, then by early evening completely wiped out with lachey knees and shoulders, red raw throat, and minor tickly cough.

LFT tonight went positive within 1 minute of adding the sample!

I’ve attended 3 public meetings as part of work during the past week so am certain it is from one of those.

reeksy

Flu season down under. We’re back to high level PPE in hospitals now, although restrictions on visitors have been relieved. All people still have to wear masks on hospital premises.

Kryton57

I flew with Ryanair over the weekend and they insisted on masks at Stansted, no such insistence at Barcelona. Many masks were lowered after take off.

Besides that, I’ve now full on coughing, fatigue sore throat and a Garmin body battery that hasn’t been above 5 since Monday, todays test will be in an hour or so. If it’s not Covid I definitely have some kind of full on chest infection. Guess I’m saying goodbye to Sundays National Marathon MTB.

Kryton57

Positive. Oh well, there’s a lot of sport on telly this weekend….

martinhutch

That sucks, hope you’re feeling better soon. It’s better that you get the positive now rather than feel slightly better and risk competing on Sunday, and totally screw yourself. Rest up.

Alex

Just back from hols (Malta). A lot more masks in airport/on plane coming back. On the way out, me, my wife and about 2 others. We bought proper FFP2 masks for this trip. Being asthmatic, I really don’t want to catch it. Have had the tickly cough/cold symptoms for a couple of weeks now, but LFTs remain negative.

What struck me on the plane was how many people were coughing/sniffing and not even putting their hand to their mouths. I was very glad to have the mask on.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i had it for the first time at start of june – mrs 2nd time

we went a party and sat on a table with 6 other friends on a saturday night then back to a house with them all after – by tuesday 3 had tested positive and then me and another friend 2 days later – so out of our group of 8- 6 of us tested positive within 3-5 days

felt fairly rough and had a couple days off work – luckily it fell on the bank holiday weekend so i had 4 full days feeling crap and sofa ridden all the days, but then just felt pretty much back to normal after that – mrs had cold like symptoms (shes had it before) and same with everyone else

it wiped me out, but luckily at no point i felt any more ill than mild flu , not nice but not as bad as id imagined, thankfully all of us triple jabbed (got to assume this has helped) and none of us any form of breathing difficulties at all (ive and 2 others have asthma)

was back on the bike by about 2 days after starting work, and felt fine, a little laboured but no worse than ive felt after having a cold in winter

it spreads very very easily once your around someone who is infected and or close contact, if your in a household with some one with it you’ll be very very very very lucky not to pick it up (especially if you have not had it before)

i was still testing/showing positive on a LFT after day 13 which seemed odd, give everyone was clear after day ~5ish – i gave up checking and wasting tests after day 13

im glad to get a good dose of it out the way, least can kinda relax abit more going on holiday this year, and same with mrs given both had it at the same time

aphex_2k
    Free Member

dantsw13
    Free Member

Depends on who you fly with. Have just flown UK to BCN, BCN to Ibiza and Ibiza to Paris and all flights advised mask still need to be worn as we boarded. What I’m definitely not seeing is and need to show proof of vaccination ANYWHEWRE I’ve been since March (including leaving Aus, arriving in UK and leaving UK to Europe).

Kryton57

What I’m definitely not seeing is and need to show proof of vaccination ANYWHEWRE I’ve been since March (including leaving Aus, arriving in UK and leaving UK to Europe).

me and my travel colleague were pulled out of a queue at BCN randomly to present Covid vaccine evidence. Thing is, I go the papers out of my cabin bag then they waved me through… without looking at them.

im glad to get a good dose of it out the way, least can kinda relax abit more going on holiday this year, and same with mrs given both had it at the same time

Same, my eldest and my wife haven’t had it (yet) but this feels as though an immunity boost as side benefit of coughing my asthmatic lungs up.

Del

There’s quite a bit of data showing that previous Omicron infection offers little on-going protection. There isn’t any ‘getting it out of the way’ I’m afraid.

Yak

Hmmm, I am attending an ‘escape room’ party as the mandatory adult on sat. 5 teenage girls, one of whom was positive on tues. So in theory her 3 days are up on Fri, so sat will be fine….right?

kelvin

previous Omicron infection offers little on-going protection

There’s early data suggesting it’s worse than that, that multiple Omicron infections result in worsening health outcomes, but let’s hope that proves to be wrong once more is known.

Kryton57

Whatever I have is having far worse effect than Januarys version. Full on man flu this one.

Alex

Well it appears I spoke/typed too soon. Took another test as was feeling quite ropey (and my 89 year old mum is in a care home and very frail so cannot be too careful) and now I’ve joined the ‘double liners’. Both my adult kids and 2 of their friends are staying with us before going on hols on Monday.

I shall also be watching lots of sport this weekend. From the shed!

I guess on the upside, wearing a mask on the plane(s) meant I didn’t infect anyone else. My wife is still clear so who knows how that works!

MoreCashThanDash

Ridiculous number of people we know seem to be positive at the moment, and none of them got it from me!

kelvin

From the shed!

You make that sound like a hardship, but, knowing you, it’s probably better kitted out for relaxation than my house.

Ridiculous number of people we know seem to be positive at the moment

It’s the wave that isn’t a wave.

What I don’t get, is with people as on the ball as Professor Jonathan Van-Tam saying this is now to be treated much like seasonal flu… which season do they mean? If it’s any/all seasons, we can’t just plan for it like seasonal flu really, can we. A different approach is needed.

MoreCashThanDash

Well the UKHSA is not funded to report Covid stats from tomorrow as we are now “living with Covid”.

Yesterday they were being asked to keep providing the stats that they no longer have funding for….

stripeysocks
    Free Member

The OH came home with a sore throat Tues last week, didn’t think anything of it until I said I’d been wiped out most of the day, then tested and lo! A faint line. I tested negative then, but retested on Sunday when my throat felt scratchy, and my oh my, the T line appeared so fast and so dark that I had to double check that C was the control line, not T!

It hasn’t been worse than a normal winter virus – headache, body aches, general weakness and lack of appetite. Just stayed in bed, necked ibuprofen and paracetamol and rejoiced that I was retired! OH was off work for a few days but is back WFH now.

Annoyingly I feel more human now but tested today and still positive. I’m now well enough to miss social interaction!

Down to the last 6 LFT tests (we managed to order some just before they stopped giving them away).

It seems rampant here, at least six people we know tested positive since my OH did. A lot of them like us, never had it before and have been fairly careful.

scotroutes

I’m still ill, still testing negative (with two different types of test). Luckily Mrs S gets free testing kits as part of her job.

I’ve pulled out of a gig I was going to attend tomorrow but planning on an al fresco coffee with a couple of friends later today.

doris5000

Surprisingly air travel, as long as passengers wear masks and follow the necessary precautions, is apparently actually low covid transmission risk

I took 2 easyJet flights last month for a holiday. On the flight out I reckon me and MrsDoris were the only people wearing masks. MrsD tested positive 3 days later.

On the way back I spotted maybe 3 or 4 other people in masks, and on the train from London to Bristol I’d say maybe 5-10% in our carriage.

And, as others here have noted, I know LOADS of people that currently seem to have it. I wonder what the connection could possibly be??

ernielynch

Yeah the virus appears to be carrying out mopping up operations now that people’s guards are down.

I wonder if it will result in a smaller winter peak following a summer boost in temporary immunity? I would have thought that a long period of low covid levels would path the way for a sudden explosion in cases.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

The Tories must be in some sort of trouble again as Covid infection rates up is the current headline on the bbc news website. Based on guesswork of course, or as they put it “estimates”. With hardly anyone (with a life) testing anymore you’ve got to wonder what the agenda is to go to such lengths.
    BBC are scaremongering half wits. Thats the reason so many are still overly paranoid and scared to resume a normal life thanks to two years of having sensationalist doomsday fear being shoved down their throats.
    Lets have some figures on the number of suicides that resulted in lockdowns and scaremongering.

kelvin

Lets have some figures on the number of suicides that resulted in lockdowns and scaremongering.

Probably fewer than 6 million and still counting.

onewheelgood

I suppose that you meant ‘resulted from’ rather than ‘resulted in’. But anyway, there was a slight drop in suicides during the pandemic, and many people’s mental heath improved, particularly those who were bullied and stressed at work or in education. But hey, facts eh? Who cares about facts?

Freester

I have to say – I read the article on the BBC referred to above and did wonder where the ONS gets accurate data from considering very few are testing right now?

beej

I have to say – I read the article on the BBC referred to above and did wonder where the ONS gets accurate data from considering very few are testing right now?

They do a standard survey every week by sending out tests to a sample group, who take them whether they have symptoms or not.

EDIT – And if you are interested, this explains it fully. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/methodologies/covid19infectionsurveypilotmethodsandfurtherinformation

Harry_the_Spider

They do a standard survey every week by sending out tests to a sample group, who take them whether they have symptoms or not.

I’m part of the test group. Monthly PCR test and blood sample, plus a load of questions about where I’ve been.

The four of us have been doing it for nearly 2 years. It has been a nice little earner!

montgomery
    Free Member

R4 More or Less this week stated c.95% have had it based on above, plus 95% of (unvaccinated) kids having antibodies. After two years of twice weekly tests, my 53 year old sister (teaches 16-18 year olds) finally got a +ve today after four days of cold like symptoms. No great drama.

Freester

EDIT – And if you are interested, this explains it fully. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/methodologies/covid19infectionsurveypilotmethodsandfurtherinformation

Brill thank you I had no idea!

ernielynch

I don’t those figures but one figure I do know is that 93.2% of the population over the age of 12 have had at least one covid vaccination jab.

Which is quite a remarkable figure and one which highlights how small in number the antivaxxers are, despite the significant media coverage they received.

Or perhaps they just lost the argument?

MoreCashThanDash

Samaritans report 4,912 suicides in the UK in 2020. We were living with that many deaths a week to Covid at times. Not that long ago we were still having 1000 Covid deaths a week.

Any suicide is tragedy, but the facts don’t back up the “lockdown was worse than Covid” argument.

Annoyingly I feel more human now but tested today and still positive. I’m now well enough to miss social interaction!

I’m also at this point, bloody annoying.

Bunnyhop

A good friend and her family are still taking part in the monthly anti-body blood testing. The samples are taken by a nurse, however next month these tests will be sent by post and have to be performed by my friend and posted back. Looking like cost cutting measures in place, but still testing which is good.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,481 through 38,520 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.