• This topic has 39,122 replies, 1,009 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 38,521 through 38,560 (of 39,123 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • timba
    Free Member

N. Korea has made a scientific breakthrough. Corona virus is caused by “alien things” blowing across the border. Do not touch!
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/nkorea-says-covid-outbreak-began-with-patients-touching-alien-things-near-border-2022-06-30/

kilo

The Tories must be in some sort of trouble again as Covid infection rates up is the current headline on the bbc news website

The party who boast about getting covid done and getting the big decisions done are going use covid re-surging as a tactic – that’s a bold move!

Sandwich

So in theory her 3 days are up on Fri, so sat will be fine….right?

FFP3 Mask with no valve for the event and you’ll be right.

Kryton57

BA4/5 isn’t pleasant. 3rd day in bed for me and although the all-day coughing seems to be fading, the banging headache, muscle aches and huge tiredness when doing just little things is persisting.

Interesting article on the BBC site talking about how Covid seems to be a rare example of a virus able to mutate itself multiple times per “season”.

Vortexracing

BA4/5 isn’t pleasant.

agree, 7 days for me so far, just starting to feel a bit better, this is not what I expected ☹️.

The constant headache (a bit like its sinus related) and just feeling knackered really caught me off guard. Not really done anything for a full week now. 🙄

jimw
    Free Member

Interesting article about herd immunity (or lack of) in the Guardian by an immunologist

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/01/herd-immunity-covid-virus-vaccine

Kryton57

a bit like its sinus related

Feels exactly the same for me.

Flaperon

Yeah, I found the jammed sinuses a pain to deal with. No other significant symptoms though other than a cough. The red lines on the LFTs were thicker than the control lines though, and positive for a full 10 days.

Read an interesting thing about antigenic original sin, where your body generates a crap-tonne of antibodies but for the first Omicron variant, and it takes a while for it to realise that they aren’t working properly and rush the fixed version out of the factory.

boblo
    Free Member

3 chums and I recently returned from doing the An Turas Mor ride. We had a call from one of the digs en route to say they’d just recovered and tested negative. 3 days later, one of our 3 had symptoms, 3 days later again, the other 2 joined in.

I tested positive that night (aka ‘day 1’) and had horrible flu like symptoms and a nasty sore throat for 3 days and restricted cardio and head/chest cold since – now day 14.

I tested negative on day 10 as did the initial victim. The 3rd chap didn’t test and carried on as normal – he’s had it before and used the phrase ‘plausible deniability’ to explain his behaviour – **** and he’s a good friend. 🙁

Mrs Boblo tested positive on my day 6 and has another couple of days to run for a -ve test assuming similar patterns. She’s still showing cold like symptoms inc a chesty cough.

It might be flu like, but anyone that’s had proper flu would try and avoid it as a) its pretty unpleasant b) it screws up the stuff you really want to do and c) it can be high(er) risk for those less healthy than ‘us’ or mebbies aren’t in a position to take paid time off work thereby spreading it further.

I think we got a bit complacent and will now return to mask wearing, social distancing and being cautious. The only thing I can control is my own behavior so that’s what I’ll concentrate on coupled with staying away from people as the numbers ramp up again.

BoardinBob

Just tested positive. I’ve barely got over my first infection back in November of last year🤦‍♂️

Likely we picked it up at a concert on Monday night.

Was sneezing like mad all day yesterday. Nose constantly streaming. Put it down to bad hayfever but 3 different anti-histamines made no difference. Woke up with a sore throat and feeling a wee bit lethargic this morning so did a test

jimw
    Free Member

It might be flu like, but anyone that’s had proper flu would try and avoid it

It always used to amuse/annoy me when students would come in after a single day off saying ‘I had ‘flu yesterday’. Errr, no, you might have had a cold, if you had proper ‘flu you would still be in bed for a few more days

crossed

@BoardinBob

Sounds identical to my symptoms.
    Currently on day five, the lines on the LFT’s have gone from thin and barely noticeable to thick red lines over the past couple of days despite symptoms easing off.

My other half who is now at day seven has been much worse than me but the lines on her LFT’s are much lighter than when she first tested positive.

MoreCashThanDash

Yeah, I found the jammed sinuses a pain to deal with

Oh god yes!

Today is Day 10 for me since testing positive. Relatively mild effects really, lots of coughing and sneezing, some aching muscles, worst of that gone by 3-4, but the bunged up sinuses effect is unpleasant still. Taste and smell are coming and going.

Was still clearly positive yesterday, will test again tomorrow.

Wife tested negative yesterday, kids totally unaffected

scotroutes

All those symptoms listed above match mine and I’m still testing negative. Covid or not it’s unpleasant and I see no need to share it with others 😃

johnners
    Free Member

It always used to amuse/annoy me when students would come in after a single day off saying ‘I had ‘flu yesterday’. Errr, no, you might have had a cold, if you had proper ‘flu you would still be in bed for a few more days

lol, yeah, I’ve had flu once about 40 years ago and I remember it to this day. I’ve yet to “enjoy” Covid but being in a vulnerable group I’ve probably relaxed my precautions less than most.

seriousrikk

So, first positive test for me yesterday. Test carried out as I was feeling like utter balls, achy muscles, sinuses full and a proper cough.

I was feeling a bit off on Wednesday so I decided (maybe unwisely) to smash a quick ride out in case I did get ill. Anyway, no surprise, Thursday I woke up with proper flu type aches and a belting headache and the cough developed later that evening. Test on Friday, thick positive line appeared in under a minute!

Almost certainly came from four sold out gigs in four nights last weekend… and if I’m honest the last one in Bristol feels like the most likely candidate. The band I was accompanying (photographer) didn’t get it, but I was in the crowd for this gig as there was no barrier.

Doesn’t surprise me there is such an increase in cases – so many massive concerts, festivals, and of course people going away by rail and air.

theotherjonv

I get your point but one thing COVID has taught us is that it can be everywhere from asymptomatic to full on hospital ventilation and death. I suspect flu is no different but we don’t have the evidence of regular testing for flu against every example of cold like symptoms and even asymptomatic screening. There will have been IMHO millions of ‘just a cold’ cases that were actually flu. So you could both be right, in a strict sense, and it was flu but they are just resilient against it so didn’t get the full impact

Written well before COVID https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?t=1656771422346

jam-bo

I think covid has broken the back of the ‘presenteeism’ bullshit we don’t take sick days culture, at least in my workplace.

No bad thing. but then we get decent sick pay…

piemonster

Im not wanting to actually discuss* the group in question, but has anyone seen a “stand in the park” pop up locally?

*as much as anything because it seems reasonably level headed at the minute unless ive missed something when skim reading

seriousrikk

I must say, despite feeling generally horrible, I’m finding the numbers my new Garmin watch comes up with fascinating.

Resting heart rate 15-20 over normal while awake.
    Despite doing nothing, ‘body battery’ dropping at a fair rate. Probably due to heart rate elevation being recorded as stress.

I noticed the increase in heart rate from before proper symptoms too

MoreCashThanDash

Im not wanting to actually discuss* the group in question, but has anyone seen a “stand in the park” pop up locally?

I was hoping someone would come along and post something to help this make sense, but apparently not…..

piemonster

Its a covid (and all the rest) conspiracy thing MCTD, popped up on a local FB page organizing…. standing about in a park.

MoreCashThanDash

Ah – all gone very quiet on that front round here. Most folk are at the “we’ve just got to learn to live with it” stage.

Having lived with it for 9 days personally, the novelty soon wears off.

klunky
    Free Member

I tested positive for the first time two weeks ago.
    Fortunately despite 1 day of having a persistent cough I had almost no other symptoms… except – I got the most crazy mouth ulcers I have ever had. Two weeks later and I am still struggling with eating and drinking although I think I’m over the worst of it.

MoreCashThanDash

Day 10 – negative test.

I’m going out out!

Murray

Tested positive for the first time today. Symptoms are cold like – aches, night sweats, sore throat, runny nose. Symptoms started on Friday, tested on Saturday but the test was a dud so tested again this morning.

I think I know where I got it, brother in law’s funeral on Wednesday. 100 people in a church belting out hymns. Either that or my daughter brought it back from the Harry Styles concert.

I’m hoping that the symptoms stay mild. Thank goodness for vaccines.

Kryton57

I got the most crazy mouth ulcers I have ever had.

That’s interesting. I’m prone to mouth ulcers when I’m run down and have two appeared behind my top lip over the last two days and just assumed it was becuase I’m below par.

On the plus side, I felt slightly better yesterday and slept 8 straight hours last night and feeling remarkably better today, achieving a massive +60 overnight on Garmins body battery with my resting HR dropping by 10 to 52 bpm. Hopefully then I’m on the road to recovery. I’ll test later to see if I can stop isolating in one room at home, although it’s possibly a little early for that.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Getting to the stage where BA.4/5 rises are making me question a non-essential multi train journey of 6+ hours each way this coming week, no tickets bought yet. National Express isn’t much longer on the outward leg albeit unsocial travelling times, but the return leg is 10+ hours via London!

Stupidly did just a single lft the other week when feeling rough which was negative, family I was hoping to see had something very fatiguing around same time, but after a mostly ill health free ’22 so far I don’t particularly fancy testing how much my 7 month booster has waned and potentially infecting my retired mum who has minimised mingling since the pandemic began.

montgomery

I got the most crazy mouth ulcers I have ever had.

That’s interesting. I’m prone to mouth ulcers when I’m run down and have two appeared behind my top lip over the last two days and just assumed it was becuase I’m below par.

Nah, that’s just the monkeypox.

Kryton57

Jeez, considering my move toward recovery I’ve just tested with the thickest positive line I’ve ever seen!

Alex

Same @kryton57 – felt a lot better but the liquid had barely got out of the tube before the mark came up, And it ended up very thick indeed. Been very lucky with symptoms, sinus mostly gone, bit of a tickly cough, bit achy and feel a bit asthmatic but otherwise main issue is boredom 😉

daveylad
    Free Member

Think I got a dose of the china virus about 10 days ago. First time being unwell since march 2020 when I suspect I had version 1 of it.
    Bad cold or weak flu I would say. Headache, joint aches, can’t taste food and hacking cough. Pretty much done with now apart from some post viral fatigue. Cba to even ride the ebike.
    Didn’t test as if you feel unwell, you are probably unwell.
    No jibjabs.

BoardinBob

Utterly confused by the latest isolation guidelines. Looking at the Scottish rules it says 5 days from first symptoms, which for me would be last Wednesday.

There appears to be nothing about having to do a negative test at the end of those 5 days to confirm being clear.

Is this because they’re basically not giving out free tests anymore, or because it’s likely that they now believe you’re no longer contagious after 5 days?

timba
    Free Member

The theory is that most people won’t pass on infection after five days provided you don’t have symptoms. You can go out during that time for exercise, etc but must be careful, mask, alone, etc
    You should stay away from vulnerable people for 10 days; five days is ok, until it isn’t

Vortexracing

Jeez, considering my move toward recovery I’ve just tested with the thickest positive line I’ve ever seen!

Same here. 🙄, day 10 today and still showing +, but I’m back to work tomorrow, I’ll be taking extra precautions, mask etc.

Anybody else gone longer than 10 days and still showing a + test?

I’m assuming the 10 day + result is just the final bit of the stuff getting out of my system and that I am no longer contagious?

MoreCashThanDash

A friend first tested negative on Day 12.

I tested negative today on Day 10, so I’ll be back in the office

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yes if you read just 1 page back I was still testing solid positive day 13…. Only have a few tests left so I stopped so that I have some spare for next time

I was back at work day 5/6 no one caught it from me wasn’t overly close to people but still in the same office/area

klunky
    Free Member

The rules are indeed strange and rapid tests should be available imo.

There is no provisions made for people (like myself) who feel well enough for work, don’t display classic symptoms but do test positive.

According to the rules I should have gone to work. Informed my line manager I was positive and he told me to stay away.

Del

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

Says if you have symptoms OR test positive you should stay at home.

dantsw13
    Free Member

As I understand it, Omicron is more of an Upper Respiratory infection, so I suppose thats where strong concentrations of the virus will be found, hence strong positive lines. I also believe LFTs cant distinguish between live and dead virus.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,521 through 38,560 (of 39,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.