• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 36,201 through 36,240 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • WildHunter2009

Aphex… that poor little virus doesnt stand a chance against the heatwave you guys have over Xmas! The missus is unexpectedly back in Perth (after 2 weeks quarantine in NT) and is struggling!

seosamh77
    Free Member

juanking
    We are also trying to navigate the guidelines and they are unclear so apologies for sounding out..

Daughter tested positive lft and subsequent PCR last Tuesday December 14th. She has been isolating in her room until Wednesday 22nd when we took her for a PCR the results of which have just come back still positive. We did an lft on daughter last night Thursday 23rd December which is negative. Daughter has been pretty much symptomless throughout.

Am I correct that daughter ought not to have had PCR on day 8 as this was always going to come back positive? The negative lfts ‘indicate’ she is no longer infectious?

Shouldn’t be taking another PCR test, she’ll potentially test positive on those for 90 days.

Just go with the isolation rules.

seosamh77
    Free Member

In other news, that’s my 10 days up! Woohooo! 😆

Bunnyhop

I’ve personally not found this thread depressing at all. In fact the opposite.
    Without TiRed’s (and others in the actual know) input I would have been a wreck.
    The info has been informative and mostly positive.

As someone who doesn’t ‘do’ social media I needed to rely on proper facts, figures and info and not listen to misguided idiots or attention grabbing newspaper headlines.

ayjaydoubleyou

Got a text yesterday saying I could rebook my booster.
    Managed to get it moved from 9th of Jan to this morning.
    Any side effects will be felt on Xmas rather than during work hours, so wish me luck.
    Consider it my civic duty to get done as soon as possible though, so I’m happy it’s in me.

Flaperon

Looks like I made the right decision – my brother flew in from Europe on Sunday and apparently is suffering from cold-like symptoms, although negative on LF tests.

I don’t think the older style LF tests are particularly sensitive (you never see one of them in a Twitter “I’ve tested positive!” photo) and the company that is handling his day 2 PCR test has said it’ll be a couple of weeks before they have the results.

On the bright side I feel fine after spending 5 hours in a car with him so the booster works. 🙂

rockhopper70

So despite the multiple -ve LFTs, the daughter has returned a +ve on PCR.

We have cancelled the MIL and Dad coming round. Gutted about this.

Mrs Rock has the text as a close contact to advise her to do LFTs only (not to seek a PCR) but I’m doubtful now that they are of much use. We were considering heading to town for a xmas tipple tonight but have binned it, to be on the safe side, and protect others. Paranoia now sets in that the slight irritation to the throat (might be all the gingerbread) is Ommy. I’m still -ve on LFR.

Having to think positive, that we have dodged a bullet by finding out and protecting our vulnerable parents.

binners

The way things are looking at the moment it’s looking like we could probably manage a decent party tomorrow purely with mates locally who’ve tested positive in the last couple of days.

Obviously we’re not going to do that as we’ll all be isolating, but it’s absolutely bonkers how many are now ill with the same symptoms and testing positive. Pretty much all our immediate circle of friends, locally, have gone down. And none of us have actually seen each other for over a week, so we’ve not infected each other.

Purely anecdotally, this strain does indeed seem to be massively more contagious

trialtemptation
    Free Member

Paranoia now sets in that the slight irritation to the throat (might be all the gingerbread) is Ommy. I’m still -ve on LFR.

I’m always amazed at how quickly my throat feels like it’s closing up whenever I have half a thought I might have been near Covid🙈

soobalias
    Free Member

sorry rockhopper70, cant find original post, did your daughter have symptoms, or was just a ‘contact’ of someone else who tested +ve

separately,
    the lack of clarity surrounding LFT usage and reliability is incredible.
    As i understand it, an LFT has a higher chance of a false negative than a false positive… but on top of that you might also pull a false negative from poor testing technique and/or low viral load (either, early days or ‘only got a touch of’) – please correct this if im wrong, if time allows i will edit to remove confustion.

as above, ive got the annual scratchy throat…… seeing friends later, folks tomorrow, other family on Sunday, cant risk any of those contacts but at the same time it wont go down well if i bail. At least its a new Christmas stress – i hate christmas.

ernielynch

this strain does indeed seem to be massively more contagious

Apparently one of the reasons is that the average incubation period for omicron is much shorter than for alpha/delta, about 3 days, which gives a smaller window to test before someone becomes a spreader

MoreCashThanDash

Purely anecdotally, this strain does indeed seem to be massively more contagious

Seems to be doing the rounds here, but we seem to have missed it again, daughter had good old Delta at the beginning of December.

Overheard a distanced conversation as I was walking round the village this morning or how many people they knew who’d recently tested positive, and a couple of local FB posts from people who’d had to cancel big family events and now have surplus food to donate to anyone needing it.

kelvin

Stay calm with those you are sharing Xmas with…

Looks like I made the right decision – my brother flew in from Europe on Sunday and apparently is suffering from cold-like symptoms, although negative on LF tests.

I don’t think the older style LF tests are particularly sensitive (you never see one of them in a Twitter “I’ve tested positive!” photo) and the company that is handling his day 2 PCR test has said it’ll be a couple of weeks before they have the results.

On the bright side I feel fine after spending 5 hours in a car with him so the booster works. 🙂

Eh, your brother has a cold and you don’t, so the booster is working??

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernielynch
    Free Member
    this strain does indeed seem to be massively more contagious

Apparently one of the reasons is that the average incubation period for omicron is much shorter than for alpha/delta, about 3 days, which gives a smaller window to test before someone becomes a spreader

3 days would tie in exactly for me, think I caught it on a sat, started sneezing on the Tuesday, didn’t test positive till the Thursday though. Glad i didn’t go anywhere on the Tues/Wed tbh.

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners
    The way things are looking at the moment it’s looking like we could probably manage a decent party tomorrow purely with mates locally who’ve tested positive in the last couple of days.

Obviously we’re not going to do that as we’ll all be isolating,

Tbh, if you are all confident of getting to a location without meeting other people, ie drive to someones house, I don’t really see why you couldn’t.

ernielynch

^^ It has the feel of a lepers colony about it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

A Leper colony is better than a leper cell I think… Get the bevvy cracked it’s xmas, doing no harm! 😆

Flaperon

Eh, your brother has a cold and you don’t, so the booster is working??

He said he felt incredibly tired, had a cough and a sore throat and it started within 3 days of travelling through London. Pretty unlikely to be a cold in my opinion.

binners

We’ve all got similar man-fluish symptoms, so I doubt it’s be much of a party.

It’d also involve getting dressed and leaving the plague house. To be honest, sitting watching Muppets Christmas Carol in my pants while grazing like a heifer and trying to kill my Covid with Malbec seems much more appealing

Merry Christmas to all the rest of the self-isolators (and non self-isolators, obvs) 😃

seosamh77
    Free Member

fair dooz, I was 3 days for symptoms then normal, hope you get the same! Merry christmas!

walleater

Maybe in the future we will have venues / destinations where you have to show a positive result in order to get in 😉

ernielynch

We’ve all got similar man-fluish symptoms

Really? Mine is barely noticeable mild cold symptoms. I’ve been pottering around the garden and would definitely be up for a bike ride if was allowed to…..was supposed to be doing a gravel ride tomorrow morning and Peaslake on the 27th, only the positive test result is stopping me.

binners

The most annoying thing is the body temperature fluctuations from red hot to bloody freezing.

Mrs Binners has christened this the manopause 😂

ernielynch

Yeah I’ve had a few chills but no fever.

Are you sure that your temperature doesn’t go up when you post on the Starmer thread?

reluctantjumper

Had my booster jab this morning, in the old Toys R Us store in Cardiff Bay of all places. Was a bit disappointed they hadn’t covered the old sign with one saying Vaccines R Us but hey ho. No sign of any symptoms a few hours afterwards apart from a tiny bit of soreness round the injection site.

Ooh, do you do the Farnham LTS? Give us a shout and I’ll make you a cuppa next time you visit.

@eddiebaby
    – South Wales and the West so nowhere near sadly!

goldfish24

Pretty unlikely to be a cold in my opinion.

There’s so few colds and so much omicron about, that If you have a cold there’s a 50% chance it’s covid. Omicron (and delta) symptoms are much more cold like.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/24/omicron-covid-symptoms-uk-guidance-zoe-study?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

rockhopper70

@soobalias, it was a workmate that tipped her off. Daughter had a mild cough by Wednesday.

Mrs R and I have just done a LFR and both -ve, but I don’t take a great deal or reassurance from them now.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

He said he felt incredibly tired, had a cough and a sore throat and it started within 3 days of travelling through London. Pretty unlikely to be a cold in my opinion.

Ah glad we cleared that up. Must definitely be covid.

🤣

Poopscoop

Had sister, bil, son, his partner and my grandson around today. Very much out of my comfort zone.

Not too worried about my sis and bil… They don’t have a social life, just like me… but my son, his partner and my grandson are a walking biohazard in my head.Lol

Had them masked up (not 21mnth old grandson…) and window and front door open to get air flow through the house.

Still felt risky but I have to say, me and my old mum really enjoyed it.👍

My grandson is just hilarious, the little plague spreader that he is.😁

Quite day tomorrow, just my partner coming over for a while.

Aunt Bessy is round doing the food for me.👍

(Posting the above as it’s what I’ve done this Christmas. We are all having to make tough decisions and I just hope I’ve made the right one. For now though, at this moment, it was the right thing to do. Mum had an amazing time.)

I’ve had a stinking cold, worst one I’ve had in years, so has the Mrs and loads of people I know, none of whom have tested positive.

Colds and flu do still exist

theotherjonv

BBC a couple of days ago said that 50% of colds will be Covid. By the same token, 50% of colds will be colds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59768366

Poopscoop

Hardly new, news but we need to up our mask game in the light of omicron. I’ve never gone down the fabric mask route anyway but a bare minimum of of surgical mask is the way to go or much better, an FFP2/ N95 mask.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/cloth-mask-omicron-variant-wellness/index.html

seosamh77
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR
    I’ve had a stinking cold, worst one I’ve had in years, so has the Mrs and loads of people I know, none of whom have tested positive.

Colds and flu do still exist

just keep testing, I wouldn’t be betting anyones life on that at the minute.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ernielynch
    Free Member
    ^^ It has the feel of a lepers colony about it.

Apparently that’s not a word we should be using any more 😬

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jul/12/health-campaigners-call-for-an-end-to-the-use-of-the-word-leper

lunge

Ah the relief.
    3 negative LFT’s in 48 hours and I now feel safe to visit the elderly family members tomorrow.
    I have my PJ’s on so am not even slightly tempted to leave the house.
    Now for something strong and alcoholic.

ernielynch

I apologise unreservedly to any leprosy sufferers on here if I made you feel in anyway marginalised. Indeed it was my intention to celebrate your sense of community and well-deserved recognition of you as fun loving party-goers.

binners

LEPORIST!!! 😃

shermer75
    Free Member

Apparently that’s not a word we should be using any more 😬

Leopards? 🐆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol.

It stuck in my mind as there was a piece on it recently on Radio Scotland, with someone from the leprosy charity reiterating it to the presenter in no uncertain terms that it was no longer fitting terminology.

Next up they brought in an auld minister who immediately started rattling out stories about lepers in the bible, he must’ve used it half a dozen times before they cut him off 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 36,201 through 36,240 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.