Viewing 40 posts - 36,161 through 36,200 (of 39,835 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • maccruiskeen

There was even a pic with a spoon carefully balanced on themselves to “prove” the magnetism!!

Non of my spoons are magnetic – that only goes to prove how doubling worrying the vaccine is, it not only magnetises the vaccinated and those standing next to them but also the changes the fundamental nature of the stainless steel in their cutlery drawer.

maccruiskeen

You need to compare trends and rolling averages.

But also reporting. Anyone taking a LFT is supposed to report the outcome, either way, every time. In reality almost nobody does, but the level of compliance will have changed over time. In the past people were pretty unlikely to report a negative result but would probably report a positive one. Its now reasonable to suspect people often won’t report a positive LFT.

ernielynch

The number of pro Johnson twitter pundits that are saying his dithering is justified

Because omicron will result in 40% less hospitalisations than the deltawave

Keir Starmer is also saying that :

But Sir Keir clarified that he is not yet backing a circuit-break lockdown.

He told Times Radio: The numbers are a cause for concern. [But] the hospitalisations are different than they were… the autumn before, when we called for the circuit break.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-not-calling-circuit-25761912.amp

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Freester

@cobrakai

Tricky one. It’s buried deep on the Gov website but they advise no LFT or PCR for 90 days after positive PCR.

When my family had it we didn’t realise this applied to LFT as well as PCR. My son tested -ve first test after the 10 days were up then +ve 4 days later. Covid helpline advised NO testing for 90 days.

We’ve agonised about testing this period as we are seeing both my Mother and Parents In Law. We are within the 90 days still and really not sure of the value of testing within the 90 days. If we are symptomless but positive is that a hangover from catching Covid or we’ve caught it again? We’ve just tried to limit social contact leading up to the big day instead.

As usual the Gov guidelines are clear as mud especially when they say you can now stop isolating after 7 days with a -ve LFT. How does that work if you’re not supposed to test for 90 days? I assume if you are negative you’re allowed out after 7. If positive but symptomless you can come out after 10. And then don’t test again. Not exactly straightforward is it.

ayjaydoubleyou

But also reporting. Anyone taking a LFT is supposed to report the outcome, either way, every time. In reality almost nobody does, but the level of compliance will have changed over time.

Yeah, got to admit I’ve reported a negative a total of twice. On my first ever one, and one where I suspected someone might want proof (they didnt ask).

In the past people were pretty unlikely to report a negative result but would probably report a positive one. Its now reasonable to suspect people often won’t report a positive LFT.

Wont report because they are trying to save their christmas, or because they are scurrying off to get a PCR?
    If someone has a +ve LFT and reports it and subsequently a -ve PCR and is therefore “free”. Does it still count as a positive test.

pedlad

I thought Jason Manford on Live at the Apollo was brilliant last night – ripping the pee out of people who ignore highly qualified professional scientists (thanks for your conitinuing input here Tired) and quote their mate Darren, from the gym, who attends the university of facebook. Guessing there were quite a few self-concious nervous laughs in that London audience!

MoreCashThanDash

We’ve been pretty consistent reporting our LFT tests – when the kids did them for school the school asked to be informed and so we filled in the schools form which was next to a link to report to the NHS, it just got to be a habit.

MrsMC completes tests for work so reports them to be able to show the negative message to service users she meets, if challenged, and I’ve just reported mine out of habit I guess. Been asked to show proof a couple of times for events before I got my vaccine passport.

Obviously they can be faked when required. If you’re a dick.

ernielynch

I thought Jason Manford on Live at the Apollo was brilliant last night

Agreed

rockhopper70

Great timing in the Rock household.

Eldest has a weekend job and worked last Sunday. Gets a call from her workmate yesterday, to say she has tested +ve. Daughter feels a temperature and coughing. Two LFT yesterday both -ve. Booked for a PCR, nearest was Darlington (70miles away). Managed to grab a walk in this morning local but she has been told possibly five days for the results to come back.

Christmas day was with Mrs Rock’s widowed mum, Boxing day with my Dad, who is on his own as my mum is in a care home. I was hoping to visit my mum boxing day (last saw her August), but they have now locked down as they have had a case, which now means that my dad can’t see my mum as planned to spend the xmas day in the home with her.

Hopefully, results for the daughter may be back pronto, but if not, we are probably not risking relying on LFT being negative to have the MIL and parent round. (80yo & 92yo). All double jabbed and boosted but I don’t think I can bring myself to risk it.

We (immediate family) will be OK, just gutted that I can’t see the wider family and they will be sat on their own over xmas. Bigger picture, keeping everyone safe. That’s what I am keeping in mind. They’ll still be there in one/two weeks and we can see them then.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@reluctantjumper

I’m spending this week driving a tanker to empty portaloos, I’d kill for no sense of smell right now! Ironically half the jobs have been from Covid testing sites.

Ooh, do you do the Farnham LTS? Give us a shout and I’ll make you a cuppa next time you visit.

kelvin

Keir Starmer is also saying that

Starmer and Streeting have been useless this week… they should be emphasising the advice Sage and others are giving the government, but are too scared about being painted as “lockdown fanatics”. Johnson has said nearly every PMQs since “Freedom Day” that “we’d still be in lockdown if Labour had their way”… but Labour need to be brave enough to challenge that nonsense, not be cowed by it. Announcing/suggesting/supporting further restrictions and support before Christmas, to avoid needing “lockdowns” at all this winter, is not the poisonous political proposition that Johnson has trapped the opposition benches into believing (partly because for his own position it is true). Politicians away from Westminster realise this and have acted/spoken accordingly.

TiRed

Yeah, got to admit I’ve reported a negative a total of twice.

I have diligently reported all of my LFTs. They’ve all been negative. I suspect reporting is only really associated with utility – need that covid pass for attendance at an event.

Darren, from the gym, who attends the university of facebook.

I resemble that comment. Well it’s Daren with ONE R and I don’t attend a gym and I went to three universities that don’t include Facebook 🤣

soobalias
    Free Member

if TiRed isnt facebook qualified, im out.
    anyone can get a certificate from a “university”
    🙂

stcolin
    Free Member

The amount of plastic that we have manufactured for all these tests, the packaging, must be unbelievable. I have wondered if we could have had different packaging using less plastic.

richardkennerley

The amount of plastic that we have manufactured for all these tests, the packaging, must be unbelievable.

You want to see the amount of plastic goes through a routine laboratory every day anyway!

theotherjonv

The number of pro Johnson twitter pundits that are saying his dithering is justified

Even a stopped clock……

whatgoesup

Even a stopped cock……

Ah, so THAT’s why he’s been so keen so avoid lockdowns

Del

Releasing from isolation at 7 days after 2 -ve lfts seems rather foolhardy as these tests were never designed for this were they? They are accurate to a point and useful for finding asymptomatic cases but false negatives are an issue iirc? Either through poor use, low viral load, or some combination thereof?

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Can someone point me to the official guidance for The 90-day window after a positive test, and LF testing. I can’t find it on the GOV site. Please!

Similar situation to others, I’m in the 90 day window and will be visiting family. Don’t mind testing, but if it’s positive and it’s remnants of my Covid from few weeks…

Confusing

james-rennie

Just to add to the confusion around self testing with a LFT after 6 & 7 days, but not before 90 days… if you get two -ve LFTs you are then free to roam around, but you still can’t get your NHS-app covid pass until 10 days have passed.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

…and still no RLFT’s locally. 🙁

However, my parents have a spare and they’re only a few miles away so I’ll have to use that.

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    FFJA
    Free Member

Don’t worry, someone will be along shortly to pour gloom on any good news. I get that people are scared and we need to do what’s right but I’ve had to step away from reading this thread as the constantly doom mongering at anything that could be seen as a positive was ramping my anxiety through the roof!

ernielynch

I don’t get that people are “scared”, I get that people are very concerned about the greatest health emergency for over a hundred years and the most serious crisis for the NHS since its creation over 70 years ago.

Edit : I tested positive for covid this afternoon, it hasn’t caused me to be scared because I feel sufficiently well-informed to know that being tripled jabbed will give me reasonable protection.

FFJA
    Free Member

Apologies, I didn’t mean scared in a negative sense, concern is indeed a better term.

kelvin

I don’t get that people are “scared”, I get that people are very concerned about the greatest health emergency for over a hundred years and the most serious crisis for the NHS since its creation over 70 years ago.

^^^^^ this

I tested positive for covid this afternoon

I hope all goes well for you Ernie. You (and we) are in such a better position than a year ago. No one should lose sight of that. Go medical science!

ernielynch

Thanks Kelvin. I had my booster exactly 6 weeks ago so I’m hoping for a reasonable level of protection, and yes you are quite right – I am very grateful to benefits of modern science. It is a good time to be alive!

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t worry, someone will be along shortly to pour gloom on any good news

As was pointed out with some of this mornings papers further up the thread, the headlines are great saying how less serious Omicron may be at an individual level, but no one reads the second paragraph underneath which points out that if that is the case, the fact that it is also more infectious means that there could be just as many people needing hospital treatment as we’d have with Delta.

The pandemic has always been an issue for the societal issues created by the big numbers affected, as much as the individual tragedies it has caused.

Poopscoop

^^ Yes, that’s the nuance that concerns me. Not Tory back benches though, it would seem.

The poor old NHS is going to be put through the meat grinder again.

doordonot
    Free Member

I was told about not testing within 90 days by the local track and trace team. But looking on the web, all I can find is this, for 90 day guidance in relation to adult care homes.

90 day guidance

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Yes that’s all I could find. It’s advice, but in the context of care homes

Freester

@barrysh1tpeas

The links I previously posted are muddier than when I was looking. I won’t bother posting them again because it’s not clear at all. FS.

Test and Trace ARE advising anyone who has tested positive not to test (LFD or PCR) for 90 days. Someone who I work who has had Covid recently confirmed this to me today

kelvin

it’s not clear at all

Agreed. We were told in October this year by the PCR testing team (or rather the pamphlet they gave us) not to do a LFT for 90 days after a positive PCR. But having searched after being told otherwise on this thread, I found media reports from Jan this year saying that advice has changed. But now, 11 months on from that media coverage, I can still find nothing on .gov sites setting out that change of advice. Clear as mud.

mattyfez

The poor old NHS is going to be put through the meat grinder again.

Again? no. they were never out of the mincer, but the speed is about to be turned up.

binners

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the continued genius of the anti-vax mob 😂

kelvin

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Eek

So we had a backpacker arrive in Perth and went shopping, clubbing, sight seeting. Felt ill on Sunday. Got tested on Weds. +ve confirmed so now we’ve swiftly switched to mask wearing +++ closed clubs and big venues (but Christmas shopping still OK!??!). Now have 8 confirmed cases and a huge stack of people desperate to line up and get tested. Oh, and it’s hot – looking at 42c for Christmas day. It’s 25c now at 9am!

3rd / booster shots now mandated for 75% of the workforce in WA!

Poopscoop

So many, many lolz to be had about doing their own research there.😁

juanking

We are also trying to navigate the guidelines and they are unclear so apologies for sounding out..

Daughter tested positive lft and subsequent PCR last Tuesday December 14th. She has been isolating in her room until Wednesday 22nd when we took her for a PCR the results of which have just come back still positive. We did an lft on daughter last night Thursday 23rd December which is negative. Daughter has been pretty much symptomless throughout.

Am I correct that daughter ought not to have had PCR on day 8 as this was always going to come back positive? The negative lfts ‘indicate’ she is no longer infectious?

Stainypants

I’m not sure why you took her for another PCR yes that was always going to be positive due to DNA floating around from dead virus. She can take another LFT today and if it’s -ve she’s free according to the new guidelines or wait till tomorrow and she be free anyhow.

Viewing 40 posts - 36,161 through 36,200 (of 39,835 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.