• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 36,241 through 36,280 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • ernielynch

It is a little known fact that the genes associated with Parkinson’s disease also confer susceptibility to leprosy.

There’s a little Christmas trivia which can be shared during a quiet pause at the festive table tomorrow.

Poopscoop

lunge
    Ah the relief.
    3 negative LFT’s in 48 hours and I now feel safe to visit the elderly family members tomorrow.
    I have my PJ’s on so am not even slightly tempted to leave the house.
    Now for something strong and alcoholic.

Great news mate.👍

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Day 7 of isolation here. Tested positive on Saturday having had booster last Thursday so I had a rough couple of days as my body was trying to work out what was abusing it. I was hoping to join the family for tomorrow but a faint positive LFT today says otherwise. Similar to others, we were due to visit elderly relatives so just thankful they are protected. The worst remaining symptom is my brew tastes of nothing. Tomorrow will be a strange day for sure.

Edit: oh and @Poopscoop.. Great to hear your Mum enjoyed herself.

Poopscoop

^^ Sorry to hear that mate. Fingers crossed you see them in a few days time instead.

Edit: @slowpuncheur, thanks mate!

Sandwich

I’ve had a few chills but no fever.

Are they multiplying, could you be losing control?

You have Grease my friend.

piemonster

👍🤣

MoreCashThanDash

Maybe in the future we will have venues / destinations where you have to show a positive result in order to get in 😉

This time next year, we’ll be millionaires!

bigdean

So the COVID gift keeps on giving.
    The ex texted the other day saying a friend of son who had been round has had positive test. Then message today, she has positive test.
    So on Christmas Eve I have the brilliant decision, see son tonight and tomorrow morning with the inevitability of contracting and not see my mum tomorrow or not see son and see mum tomorrow.
    Mum lives on her own and 70.
    Rang mum she’s ok with not going round. Will nip and speak to her out side with a mask on.
    Son is round and now coughing😒
    They both had a PCR today and waiting for results.

So because she couldn’t go with being sociable for a week, I can’t see mum at Christmas she’s missed on holiday next week and doubt I’ll be going on date/ walk on boxing day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You shouldn’t really be seeing your son if he’s supposed to be isolating, or am I missing something?.

ernielynch

could you be losing control?

I better shape up

Son is round and now coughing

So now you can’t see your mum until approximately 10 days after your first positive. That’s a shame although I don’t know why your son/ex were willing to risk passing it on to you.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rang mum she’s ok with not going round. Will nip and speak to her out side with a mask on.
    Son is round and now coughing😒

I wouldn’t be going anywhere near your mum if I was you.

reluctantjumper

Well I now feel like absolute crap 10 hours after having my booster jab (Moderna). I could put it down to that but the last two days I’ve been driving to and collecting crap (literally crap) from multiple Covid test sites, the first day with someone who hasn’t been vaccinated at all and the second day with someone who had only had their first jab 3 weeks ago. Didn’t know this until an hour before finishing on Thursday!

The question is: am I just reacting to the booster or do I have actual Covid? I’m also meant to be going to my parent’s house tomorrow also with my uncle, all 3 of them are classed as vulnerable. Do I wait and see what I’m like in the morning or call off Christmas now?

ernielynch

or do I have actual Covid?

Get hold of a LFT

ferrals
    Free Member

My wife reacted awfully to Modena, 3 days of flu-like shivers and head aches but no temperature (definitely not covid as PCR negative). Have heard similar from others.

Maybe get a PCR tomorrow and postpone to Boxing Day? The results seem to be coming back quickly

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The results seem to be coming back quickly

Are they? I know of work folks who’ve been 2-3 days in the last week.

bigdean

You shouldn’t really be seeing your son if he’s supposed to be isolating,

He hasn’t got a positive result yet(lateral flow was negative this morning) and I’m not going through Christmas not seeing him, he was gutted and I can isolate for the rest of the holiday without much problem and call mum on the phone for 10 days.

I wouldn’t be going anywhere near your mum if I was you.

I was thinking the same hence the phone call to her today.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just took us 60 hours to get a PCR test result…..negative thankfully.

Poopscoop

@bigdean

@reluctantjumper

Utter crap situation for you both there. Genuinely sad to hear of the impossible positions you are both in.

Regarding PCR, the micro biology lab at my oh’s hospital is swamped with tests. Struggling with even doing staff members tests quickly so they can stay on wards etc etc.

ferrals
    Free Member

Round here most people seem to be getting results back within 24hrs generally but I guess Xmas day would be longer. Must vary regionally dependant on capacity I guess

dantsw13

I sent mine off Sunday – got the result thurs Morning.

stcolin
    Free Member

Just got my result back from yesterday’s PCR test. Positive.

Merry Christmas.

Poopscoop

That’s crap mate, sorry to hear that.

I know I’m not the only one seeing this.
    Since the start of the pandemic there have never, ever been so many people reporting positive tests on here as there is now. Not even remotely close.

Omicron is a very different beast. Let’s hope it is indeed partly tamed.

All this before Christmas day.

stcolin
    Free Member

Yea it what it is. I’d not been feeling great for a couple of days, just cold like symptoms. Feel fine today. Girlfriend was hoping to get home to see her parents but that is off note and I feel bad for that.
    Her dad has COPD and Pseudomonas so he is very vulnerable.

Best make good use of the turbo. And I’m glad we got a big turkey.

TiRed

Sorry to hear that but glad the symptoms are cold-like. That would be a great outcome if mirrored across the nation. Felt rubbish last week myself with sinusitis and of course chest pain. But lateral flow was negative.

And back from a very socially distanced midnight mass. Carols through a mask. At least 2m from nearest person. Quite easy to achieve given the turnout.

dantsw13

It seems pretty common to get negative LFT with a positive PCR. I would never have known were it not for a work mandated PCR as I have no symptoms and all my LFTs were negative.

It feels like my immune system has done its job: I was obviously exposed, but my body has fought it off. -ve LFTs suggest I don’t have much viral load. Because I’ve never had symptoms I don’t really know when the actual infection was, but my isolation is obviously triggered by it to cover Xmas.

reluctantjumper

Test booked for 10am Christmas day as I’ve got a raging temperature, sweating a lot, can’t keep enough water in me, have chronic diehorrea (sp?), aches in every joint and a pounding headache. Phoned NHS direct as I was struggling to navigate the website and they were pretty concerned.

Either way that’s Christmas, my birthday and new year gone as there’s no way I’m risking going to see my parents in this state.

pothead
    Free Member

The question is: am I just reacting to the booster or do I have actual Covid?

A lad I work with ‘assumed’ he felt rough as a reaction to the Moderna booster last Monday and it was actually covid. I also tested positive the following morning (lateral flow and pcr both positive) despite no symptoms at all so I’d be getting tested before going anywhere. Test and trace obviously haven’t been made aware of the recent rule changes as I’ve just had a txt to remind me I MUST isolate for 10 days, although the current advice is that 2 negative lft 24 hrs apart on the 6th and 7th day is acceptable

boardmanfs18

Are LFT’s now fit for purpose?

Only reason I ask, is here and other fora, there has been anecdotal tales of multiple -ve LFT’s followed by a +ve PCR.

I’ve been performing an LFT a day but started having a sore throat on Thursday, still negative LFT as well as yesterday but decided to go get a PCR at 2.00pm yesterday.

I bloody hope the results turn up today as potentially might of screwed up Xmas but it was all this talk of -ve LFT followed by a +ve PCR that made me change my mind, as have to be careful due to my partner being on the CEV list.

Hope everyone else’s Christmas is better.

ernielynch

anecdotal tales of multiple -ve LFT’s followed by a +ve PCR.

My understanding is that this is, in part at least, due to the effectiveness of the vaccines.

Apparently vaccinated individuals who come in contact with Covid get an immune response very quickly, much faster than those unvaccinated, as a consequence they show/feel symptoms when levels of the virus are still relatively low and not high enough to be detected by LFT.

By the time the unvaccinated start showing an immune response/symptoms the virus has reached relatively high levels and is more likely to be picked up by LFTs.

Obviously because PCR tests are considerably more sensitive they will detect lower levels of the virus. I also suspect that the fact that PCR tests are generally taken at a later time than LFT might a difference, things can change dramatically over a few hours which is why it is recommended that LFTs are done at the last moment before coming in contact with vulnerable people.

Edit : Another reason I would have thought likely is that apparently many LFT negatives are due to badly carried out tests, the PCR tests take at least part of the process away from the untrained.

irc

@reluctant jumper

Funnily enough I got chronic diarrhea a few days after my 2nd vaccine. Really bad. Had to take 3 days off work. First sick days for about 10 years.

First jag and booster both fine. All Pfizer.

ernielynch

Round here most people seem to be getting results back within 24hrs generally but I guess Xmas day would be longer.

I have just received my PCR result confirming the LFT positive, it took exactly 26 hours. Christmas doesn’t appear to have slowed the process down.

I still can’t quite get my head round the fact that I have Covid as the symptoms are no more than a very mild cold. A bit like mild hay fever really.

Edit : I had more symptoms from my first AZ jab!

dantsw13

Hopefully Ernie, the article I linked to a few days back is correct – boosted immune system + an escape variant gives super immunity that lasts.

binners

Mrs Binners just got a positive LFT for Christmas this morning (negative PCR. 2 days ago), so we’re a full plague household now, going nowhere for Christmas and new year

Ho ho ho

gray

Merry Christmas everyone! Love to you all from day 8…

My household all positive, all very mild symptoms. Woohoo for vaccines!

dantsw13

yep – imagine if this wave was last xmas without vaccine protection…….. It must make all the frontline HCWs feel a bit safer with 3 jabs inside them

Poopscoop

First jag and booster both fine. All Pfizer.

Can’t get me head around this.

A world wide pandemic, costing the country billions and the government have the money to give away free jags.

Even heard of some getting their second or third jag.

I had to walk to the vaccination centre and even then just got a sore arm, not even a free Uber home.

binners

yep – imagine if this wave was last xmas without vaccine protection

We were just saying exactly that. Doesn’t bear thinking about

ernielynch

Even heard of some getting their second or third jag.

It is the result of tireless campaigning by John Prescott.

What I don’t understand is how some people are going back for their boosters, I had no idea that you could retrofit turbochargers.

Del

yep – imagine if this wave was last xmas without vaccine protection

If we hadn’t already won the lottery being born in the Western world.

MrOvershoot

Well I’ve just done 5 days in a row LFT tests the NHS one that requires throat and nose all clear, and one done by my S-i-L who is a senior district nurse once again clear so the cough I had and the streaming nose is probably just a cold.

Still bloody annoying though as you are constantly worried

Viewing 40 posts - 36,241 through 36,280 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.