• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 34,401 through 34,440 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • airvent
    Free Member

Your dad will eventually get AZ or Regeneron antibodies for prophylaxis. These are coming and provide six-month and (possibly) annual protection. There will also be additional oral treatments coming for infection breakthroughs. I’m glad to hear he is recovering.

That’s interesting, I will keep a close eye on that one. Thanks.

batfink
    Free Member

So Germany are to ban unvaccinated people from shops and bars – any ideas how they’ll be able to police it?

Yeah – we’ve been doing this in Australia (NSW) for the last couple of months – it works fine.
    Here you just link your digital vaccine cert to the app you use to scan-in everywhere – when you walk in somewhere they ask to see your sign-in confirmation, which has a green-tick to show you’re fully vaxxed (or have an exemption).

To be honest, it’s not burdensome at all – but then again I don’t think wearing a mask is either.

IMO, in Australia (with a very high vaccination rate) I’m not sure this is really worth doing. I think, as has been mentioned previously, it’s more useful as a carrot/stick (depending on how it’s messaged) to convince a few more % of the population to get jabbed – as we saw in France.

Maybe if you have low vaccine uptake – like in some areas of the US – preventing unvaccinated people from going into shops etc might make more of a difference, but obviously the Venn diagram of “people who refuse vaccination” and “people who don’t comply with covid social restrictions” has almost 100% overlap…. so it’s not going to happen

Poopscoop

@kimbers
    Glad to read you are on the mend.

Are the kids asymptomatic, apologies as I’ve no doubt missed many recent threads?

kimbers

Are the kids asymptomatic, apologies as I’ve no doubt missed many recent threads

A few mild symptoms, between them, all different, which is interesting in itself

neilnevill
    Free Member

O forgot to say,my daughter’s PCR can’t back negative. The really impressive bit, test tent to result text, 19 hours. The result arrived in time to get her off to school! Yay!

batfink
    Free Member

Conversely – proof that the vaccine hadn’t been properly tested and shouldn’t have been launched until this was known

I know I’m leaning against an open door here, but even with a very low bar, thats the worlds easiest antivax argument to counter. Or alternatively: demonstrates that the holder of that opinion probably struggles applying basic logic in their everyday lives.

batfink
    Free Member

The really impressive bit, test tent to result text, 19 hours. The result arrived in time to get her off to school! Yay!

Good news indeed! We specifically go to a test site where (no matter what time you go) the result seems to arrive at 6.05am the following morning, for exactly this reason.

Poopscoop

I see kimbers. Well best wishes to you all and hope you all all recovered really soon.

dantsw13

CovBoost Trial Lancet paper

This is the Booster trial I signed up to. Now I need them to put my booster record in the NHS system before the EU mandates boosters for entry next year.

kelvin

Thanks for volunteering for that. We owe you. And for your time giving jabs. Thanks twice.

Any news on a fourth shot for you? I think that the EU (well, French) system requires a booster “in the last six months”, so it’s your next shot that’ll need to be on the NHS records/app. I could be wrong though.

dantsw13

Seeing as I was still being paid to “Not Fly” I felt I should do something to help out, plus it kept me sane!!

I emailed the trial with those questions, and was told they needed to see what was published in that paper first. Ive skim read it, but couldn’t see any details on longevity of protection post booster.

bob_summers

the Venn diagram of “people who refuse vaccination” and “people who don’t comply with covid social restrictions” has almost 100% overlap

Do you know anyone who has declined the vaccine? Whatever their reasons for doing so, the unvaccinated people I know IRL (admittedly not many) have used masks and complied with pretty much everything. There’s nothing rabid about them in the same way that people you meet who aren’t vaccinated against, say, flu aren’t particularly rabid about that.
    Perhaps I’m wrong and they spend their evenings wearing a tinfoil hat and trolling forums!

thecaptain
    Free Member

There are definitely some random refusers who just have some vague thoughts about how “natural immunity” from infection is a good thing, and who are not otherwise right-wingnuts.

Someone in my on-line running forum died of covid recently, just a little older than me (late 50s). I haven’t asked if he was vaccinated (others know him better than me) but the proportion of fully-vaxxed deaths in this age group is pretty minuscule…and he was at least a regular jogger, if not perhaps a terribly serious athlete. Didn’t seem a libertarian headcase on other political issues.

It remains the case that the direct risks from covid are very small if you’re not too old and in reasonable health. For most of us, covid has always been primarily a societal problem of too many people all getting ill at the same time, rather than a direct threat to our health.

bob_summers

That’s the thing, you wouldn’t know if he was vaccinated as it’s not the kind of thing that comes up in conversation with someone you don’t know that well. Of the 20% (or whatever it is) currently not jabbed, only a small minority of those are vocal right wing swivel-eyes. The rest probably never really mention it.

fenlander
    Free Member

So 3.3 day doubling time in ZA – ie v similar to March 2020 new virus in naive pop in UK, and many more infants hospitalised (far too soon to see what consequences are for them).

Let’s hope that vax immunity (UK) >> delta infection immunity (est. 60-80% in ZA), but doesn’t look good to me. Party on til xmas, but prep for the January lockdown?

On the positive side, likely to put the petty mask vs no mask comments into harsh relief!

Poopscoop

I’m still shocked that anyone risked catching omicron at a Steps concert. The horror of it.

BillMC

I know two guys unvaxed, both from wealthy families but neither is a graduate. ‘ As many doctors against as for it’ and one wears a Trump t-shirt. They leave me speechless. Absolute arseholes.

montgomery
    Free Member

Do you know anyone who has declined the vaccine?

Yup. Guy in his thirties I was working with was trying for a kid and refused the vaccine because he didn’t want to affect the quality of his sperm… I was expected to get in a van with him. I no longer work for the company (a well known postal delivery provider with red livery)…

willard

I knew one guy in the Us that I am pretty sure refused to get jabbed. He was always a bit odd, mostly in a way that meant he was fun to be around. By all accounts he went a bit conspiracy theory nuts. He died of covid earlier this year.

Not sure I know anyone in Sweden that has refused, but I don’t really meet many people these days.

jam-bo

I’m still shocked that anyone risked catching omicron at a Steps concert. The horror of it.

it’s a tragedy..

MoreCashThanDash

it’s a tragedy..

Had to be done 👏👏

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SIL and BIL both refused vax, she’s a control freak, he’s a shitebag. This has resulted in them falling out with the whole family over it, which is utterly bizarre.

Makes no odds to me, I canny be arsed wi her anyway.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Quick question as lots of info available but not clear. We had COVID exactly 2 months ago tested positive after PCR. Only person in the house not to test positive at all was son. Monday I start with a bad cold, Tuesday son starts with cold. On Wednesday night he has a temp so we get a PCR on Thursday, which came back positive this morning. So have we made a mistake getting a PCR test for ourselves this morning or have we done the safe thing? Cause it says we could test positive for up to 3 months. So the risk is we test positive and have to isolate for another 10 days but that is because of COVID 2 months ago,not a reinfection. I guess it could be a just be a cold and son is testing positive because he also had it two months ago but never tested positive until now.

grahamt1980

It could be either to be honest.
    Trouble is you won’t know which and will have to isolate if it comes back positive.
    Am avoiding pcr tests for another month due to having it in sept.
    Sticking to lft’s

shuhockey
    Free Member

Sounds like we are out there licking hand rails! Just to add that both parents are vac’d up and we are really careful with what we do and wear masks when out, but we have one son at primary and one at secondary!!

rOcKeTdOg

Met my first vaccine refuser on Friday, his reasons were “I’ve alread had covid”, “they started with one, now it’s three it’ll be one a month by next year” and the rubella vaccine made his sister deaf
    🤷‍♂️

azku
    Free Member

Guy in his thirties I was working with was trying for a kid and refused the vaccine because he didn’t want to affect the quality of his sperm… I was expected to get in a van with him. I no longer work for the company (a well known postal delivery provider with red livery

So in what actual way would this have affected you?

plus-one

Two vaccines and a booster in ! What’s next for the sheeple 🤷‍♂️

joepud
    Free Member

Do you know anyone who has declined the vaccine?

My brother. His reason he wont be controlled or told what to do…hes almost 38. Subsequently about 2 weeks ago my 5yr old nephew got covid from school, gave it to my brother who then gave it to my mum. But apparently my mother getting covid wasn’t his fault because “it could have come from anywhere.” It could one of those places being him. Hes a moron.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He sounds like my BIL, thicker than a whale omelette.

Poopscoop

Covid is an adaptable little s***.

Hippo’s testing positive for Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59516896

CountZero

My brother. His reason he wont be controlled or told what to do…hes almost 38.

I guess he also refuses to wear a seatbelt in a car, or if he rides a motorcycle, to wear a helmet. Or wear one on a bike for that matter.

I guess he’s also never been vaccinated against TB, Measles, Scarlet Fever, Smallpox…

joepud
    Free Member

I guess he also refuses to wear a seatbelt in a car, or if he rides a motorcycle, to wear a helmet. Or wear one on a bike for that matter…

haha, you cant reason with the stupid.

Poopscoop

Christmas party, Omicron super spreader event in Oslo. Biggest outbreak outside South Africa. From one event.

I expect we will see similar reports over here soon.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/03/europe/norway-christmas-party-superspreader-omicron-event-intl/index.html

Poopscoop

In other news my son and his partner are at a works Christmas do tonight.

No way on earth was I going to tell him he couldn’t go. If I’d pressed the point he wouldn’t have gone but I’m not that kind of dad and don’t want to be. He’s an adult and its his decision but he knows my concerns and also knows that I’ll consider him a walking biohazard next week.

mudmuncher

So in what actual way would this have affected you?

Not much other than tying NHS beds up, delaying cancer treatments and helping keep COVID infection rates high.

https://theconversation.com/your-unvaccinated-friend-is-roughly-20-times-more-likely-to-give-you-covid-170448

kimbers

My brothers work Xmas do was cancelled tonight as 5 people’s pre party lft’s came back positive

Bullet dodged, afaic!

My work one is next week, but doubt it’ll be happening

Dom is getting twitchy..

No way Johnson will change his advice on partying until after North Shropshire byelection

bigjim

Christmas party, Omicron super spreader event in Oslo. Biggest outbreak outside South Africa. From one event.

I expect we will see similar reports over here soon.

My work had its xmas party for 1100 people last night, I missed it because I caught covid at the first xmas dinner with 15 people a week ago along with several other colleagues 🙂

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding day two PCR test on arrive in UK if you have recently had covid with the false positive issue? Scot gov advice for pre travel test if you have had covid is to get lateral flow to avoid false positive, but this day two PCR could really screw up my xmas plans.

Poopscoop

Hate it when I agree with Cummings.

MoreCashThanDash

Hippo’s testing positive for Covid.

How big must the swab be to tickle the tonsils on a **** hippo?

Viewing 40 posts - 34,401 through 34,440 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.