• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 33,481 through 33,520 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Delta west maybe…

Poopscoop

Petri dish UK.

Lovely.😒

martinhutch

Delta west maybe…

I’ve got a Brand New Covid Variant
    And I’ll give it to thee…

Poopscoop

^^ I’ll take my laughs where I can get them in relation to Covid. Thanks.😁

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve got a Brand New Covid Variant
    And I’ll give it to thee…

👏👏

TiRed

i had a Zoe survey antibody test and they can tell between infection and vaccination

Vaccine only makes antibodies against spike. So when you test that’s all they stuck too. Infection makes antibodies against the surface protein too called nucleocapsid. If you see both sets of antibodies in a test, you were infected. But antibodies wane over time so hence only definitely test for them for six months.

Genuine LOL from this southwesterner for THAT comment. 🥳

verses

Delta west maybe

Kanye’s latest kid?

kelvin

If you see both sets of antibodies in a test, you were infected.

And the specificity of the tests is high enough now for antibodies for N proteins to be sure the infection was SARS-CoV-2, and no other virus? I would still expect the language to be “likely you were” rather than “you were”, but perhaps it’s all moved on, I haven’t looked into any of this since last year.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

LFT on Tuesday evening was negative but by Wednesday I was PCR tested as positive.

LFT is crap. The FDA said it was so unreliable it could harldly be called a test, refused to approve it and advised any test kits should be disposed of. And yet our incompetent/corrupt government bought millions of the bloody things

ernielynch

Definitely crap if the aim is for always 100% accuracy. If however the aim is for a very quick easy test which doesn’t necessarily need to be 100% accurate, then apparently it isn’t that bad:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-lateral-flow-tests-are-more-accurate-than-previously-thought-researchers-find-12433421

Professor Michael Mina, Harvard School of Public Health, said: “There is a spectrum of infectious amounts of the COVID-19 virus and we show that LFTs are likely to detect cases 90-95% of the time when people are at their most infectious.

“The tests could achieve even 100% sensitivity when viral loads are at their peak and therefore catch nearly everyone who is currently a serious risk to public health.”

dudeofdoom

Be good for Bristol to get some recognition other than the Bristol Stool scale Which is a bit crap.

dudeofdoom

Although I think Delta variant O.R has a ring to it.

pictonroad

Be good for Bristol to get some recognition other than the Bristol Stool scale Which is a bit crap.

How crap?

Bunnyhop

Prof Peter Openshaw Just been on BBC news – speaking in a personal capacity says, take matters into our own hands, wear masks, wash hands, etc. don’t wait for gov policy, do everything we can NOW to get the rates down so we can have some sort of Christmas. He is concerned that if nothing is done there will be an awful Christmas. He advises cycle and don’t take public transport and wfh where possible. This transmission is unacceptable atm, also the numbers of deaths.

Scud – we took the Zoe antibodies test a few weeks ago. The result was no antibodies as they only tell you if you’ve had them from the virus, not if you have them from the jab.

Martin Hutch – Thanks for a laugh, I needed that.

kelvin

Bristol is Cocaine capital of the UK apparently (according to Steven Merchant on Last Leg last night).

My other half (primary school teacher) ill last night, positive LFT this morning. Already has CFS after a virus a few years ago, so who knows how this will go.

[ resists rant about the government doing this to us, the whole county that is, as I’ve done that enough already ]

MoreCashThanDash

Best wishes kelvin, hopefully it’s a milder dose.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Been told I need to travel to Sheffield for a team get to gather In a few weeks, involving sitting in a room for 2 days solid with a group of people whom all have school aged kids

I personally think this is a plain stupid idea but given I’ll have to go is it fair to demand full social distancing occurs throughout the 2 days? Or is that no longer a thing in England?

Sandwich

@tpbiker Remind your line manager of the need to protect Health that is in The Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. Then ask what mitigation measures will be in place to restrict transmission.
    Possibly suggest that not having a risk assessment and control measures in place is not a good look for a national concern that HSE will take pleasure in using as a “Don’t do that” example.

Bunnyhop

Kelvin – you are really having a bad time atm. Really hope your wife recovers quickly. I myself had CFS (this affected my immune system) many years ago and any cough, cold or virus I catch affects me for weeks if not months if I get ill. This is why we all must take care, for others not just ourselves.
    Rant away Kelvin, I feel your pain.

kelvin

Thank you morecashthandash.

Actually, can’t resist a rant…

Two stories that, when combined, anyone capable of joined up governance should have acted on…

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/october-half-term-traffic-warning-6092710

Devon, Cornwall and Dorset have been told to expect an “autumn rush” on the roads in the coming days as Brits plan a half-term getaway.

A survey conducted by the RAC revealed that both Dorset and Cornwall have been named as their destination of choice for a final break away before the start of winter.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/royal-cornwall-hospital-announces-critical-6095323

Speaking on behalf of the NHS in Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust (RCHT) medical director Dr Allister Grant said: “There is unprecedented demand on health and care services in Cornwall, more so this week than at any point during the pandemic. As a result, we have escalated our operational level from OPEL4 to an internal critical incident.

kelvin

Thank you bunnyhop. Hope you’re okay through this winter. Yes, fearing this might drag on more for her more than is normal for others (which for some of my friends has been long/bad enough). We’re off for PCR tests (they want me to go as well). I don’t think they are of any real value to us personally at this point, but they might be useful if they are sequencing to see what’s happening with variants.

MoreCashThanDash

I personally think this is a plain stupid idea but given I’ll have to go is it fair to demand full social distancing occurs throughout the 2 days? Or is that no longer a thing in England?

We had a one day team meeting last month. Being civil service it was risk assessed to death, but 12 of us in a big meeting room, sat 2 metres apart like some weird exam hall flashback, full length windows open for ventilation, masks on when not seated at your desk. Went well, if a little chilly, another one this week.

I’m the only one with school age kids, and I asked the team to let me know if they had an issue with me being there as it was Covid central at daughters school – a lot of her friends had it but she has never tested positive.

One colleague messaged me privately to say she is undergoing investigations for a lung issue so would appreciate me being strict with distancing, but otherwise pretty relaxed and great to be in the office for the first time in 18 months.

reluctantjumper

Having read this that kelvin posted (hope things start to get better soon BTW!) I messaged my friend who woks in the NHS down there to see how bad it was. I sent her the link to this story:

Speaking on behalf of the NHS in Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust (RCHT) medical director Dr Allister Grant said: “There is unprecedented demand on health and care services in Cornwall, more so this week than at any point during the pandemic. As a result, we have escalated our operational level from OPEL4 to an internal critical incident.

She replied with this:

It’s awful. They had to declare a critical incident the other day (not the first time either). Also heard from paramedics that they can’t respond to Cat 1 calls – as they are stuck at Treliske unable to offload patients – having to look after them in the back of an ambulance, as there is literally no beds! As a result people are dying of life threatening emergencies as very limited number of ambulances available on over crowded roads. That was without school hols, so go figure. The news isn’t telling you that! Cornwall is one of the worst places in the UK to get seriously ill in atm, as likely help won’t come, or will come too late. It’s really, really shit. Kind of wish I wasn’t nurse sometimes. Nurses/staff are leaving in droves. It’s even worse for those left, as we’re running way over capacity with half staff! And the government keep kicking us in the nuts. Not even the public appreciate it. It’s tough. And Boris keeps announcing how much worse they expect it to get this winter. How can it get any worse? People are dying! What’s worse than that?

So if you’re thinking that a final break down Cornwall is a good idea please don’t. They’re getting now what the rest of the country will get in a few weeks.

Bunnyhop

This ^^^ is very much part of the problem, the public not actually knowing what goes on.
    There are people out there who know of nobody who has caught this virus, let alone what the hospital staff and carers are going through.

I just wish the government would threaten ‘no Christmas’ if we and they don’t/won’t get their act together.

Thanks Kelvin. Yes because of underlying conditions which always affect my chest, I have to be careful and I do not want to end up taking a bed away from someone in hospital because I couldn’t be bothered wearing a mask, social distancing, washing hands properly and having ventilation in any indoor space. It’s really not asking for the moon on a stick.

paul0
    Free Member

Been told I need to travel to Sheffield for a team get to gather In a few weeks, involving sitting in a room for 2 days solid with a group of people whom all have school aged kids

Get some FFP2 masks to use if you’re not happy with the setup ..?

kimbers

We had an away day yesterday everyone took an lft on the morning b4 we went
    Agree they’re not 100% but all double vaxed.

So e school has quite a few cases at the moment, 2 hospitals we work with are all struggling to carry out cancer surgeries due to ITU bed shortage, between them they cover a huge amount of London, I’m surprised it’s not been in the news more
    It does feel like it could go quite bad this winter
    Hopefully there’s more immunity out there than it seems

mudmuncher

My 11yr old has been off school all week with covid and having to help him with his lessons it’s been pretty much impossible to isolate from him.

So I’ve been breathing in his covidy breath all week but have tested negative on LFT each day, I have felt a bit tired and headachy at times but assume this is my immune system firing up.

I’m wondering if this exposure is enough to act as a booster to the vaccine I had 4 months ago, or do you actually need to get ill to boost your immunity?

dazh

Seems like Boris’s herd non-immunity mass infection policy is working very well in Calderdale. In the last month pretty much all my mates have had it, all my kids mates have had it, and tonight my 14 year old (who isn’t vaccinated) just failed a LFT. I’ve had a flu/cold bug for the past 3 weeks so either I’ve already had it (LFT tests disagree) or I’m in for some more fun in the next fortnight.

boardmanfs18

I’m confused, isn’t the advice, if you have symptoms, which is basically you feel ill, AFAIK, you go and get a PCR test?

paul0
    Free Member

Official advice to take a PCR is still based on the 3 original symptoms… temp, cough, smell/taste.

Our local health board (grampian) sent out a letter via schools recently recommending PCRs for an expanded list of symptoms… but then sent another letter a couple of weeks later retracting that advice 🤷‍♂️

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Just popping in after lurking since day 1 of this thread (it’s been great and thanks for everyone’s input… Kept me sane). My turn to dip in as my whole family is currently in isolation (4 of us) after all testing positive.

Both my wife and I double jabbed (4 months ago each). Eldest gave it to us as a present from school (11 year old). My wife had it badly 2 months ago (confirmed pcr) and now again another confirmed pcr (did not think it was possible to get it twice so close together?)

I have been rough for a week, all usual mix of commonly reported symptoms etc. Grateful for vaccine as could have been so much worse. Wife just had sniffles and my two kids just bad colds luckily

Lots of my colleagues have had it also, same age bracket as me (40 ish) and all double jabbed. So from my perspective I don’t think the vaccine is that good at preventing infection but most importantly keeps people from getting really sick – is this now the general thinking from the wider audience?

When I tested positive last week in advance of my wife, who is a school TA, she was told as double jabbed she could go into school no problem (wife was last of the 3 of us to test positive). The LFT on the day was negative, but she went for a walk in pcr in the morning and called in sick. Lucky she did as the test came back positive!

It’s no wonder its exploding if she was still expected to go to work… With 3 confirmed cases of covid in the house

kimbers

I’m wondering if this exposure is enough to act as a booster to the vaccine I had 4 months ago, or do you actually need to get ill to boost your immunity?

If you have caught it then your immune system will have been boosted

(double) Vaccination + infection produces the longest lasting immunity.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03696-9

Its possible that your vaccination is keeping any symptoms to a minimum & you have low levels of virus that aren’t being detected by lft, a PCR might confirm

bullshotcrummond
    Free Member

So how many people are insisting on aspiration when they have their vaccine/booster shots?

Especially after watching the Kyle Warner video.

There’s been a few reports, covered by John Campbell on YT, showing the nasty effects of injecting the vaccine accidently into a blood vessel – particularly for heart problems – pericarditis and myocarditis.

I’ve downloaded a document “UK Guidance on Best Practice in Vaccine Administration”, endorsed by the RCN and RCGP, that says aspiration may be performed to ensure safe application.

But I’ve seen reports of people requesting aspiration, which takes and extra 10 seconds or so, and it causing much disruption and even refusal.

The chances of hitting a blood vessel might be very low (much better than winning the lottery though) but I’d rather not be subject to that risk considering the consequnces that are becoming apparent – not from the vaccine but from errors administering it.

The following shows the effect in mice – there is not going to be a similar report of humans as it would be unethical to deliberately inject the vaccine into someones blood vessels.

Intravenous Injection of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) mRNA Vaccine Can Induce Acute Myopericarditis in Mouse Model – https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab707/6353927

Inadvertant intravenous injections – https://youtu.be/nBaIRm4610o

HKU study warns against accidental vaccination into veins – https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/179175/HKU-study-warns-against-accidental-vaccination-into-veins

These next two just link mRNA vaccines to myocarditus – no mention of aspiration.

Myocarditis With COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines – https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.056135

Myocarditis after Covid-19 Vaccination in a Large Health Care Organization – https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110737

mudmuncher

If you have caught it then your immune system will have been boosted

(double) Vaccination + infection produces the longest lasting immunity.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03696-9

Its possible that your vaccination is keeping any symptoms to a minimum & you have low levels of virus that aren’t being detected by lft, a PCR might confirm

Undoubtedly I will have breathed in thousands of covid particles over the week – so I guess technically infected, I was wondering about the scenario where my immunity/antibodies killed the virus I inhaled before it had the opportunity to replicate in any significant numbers, so I would be negative on PCR/LFT. I’m basically curious if that level of exposure is enough to boost your immunity or whether you need a full blown infection.

kelvin

So how many people are insisting on aspiration when they have their vaccine/booster shots?

None of us, because we’re having our shots in the normal place. Any questions, ask your own GP.

bullshotcrummond
    Free Member

in the normal place ? What does that mean – you can accidently hit a blood vessel from the normal site of injection – that’s the point.

And the other point is that many practitioners are insisting that aspiration isn’t necesary when these reports are suggesting that it is. The risk might be low but the consequences can be severe – all for the desire to save 10 seconds or so during the application.

binners

Mrs Binners had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. She refused to go for the same reasons as you. The rest of the team travelled from all over the country to the venue and had a get together for 2 days. The following week just about every single person there tested positive for Covid. Some were ill, some weren’t but you ended up with virtually a whole company self-isolating.

So you’re absolutely right. It is indeed a completely stupid idea. But if you look at the way most people are carrying on and the ‘get back to the office, you slackers’ message coming from government, stupidity seems to be par for the course.

I’ve just ordered a job lot of face masks. I’ve not stopped wearing them when I’m indoors with other people.

It also looks like having hailed the vaccine rollout as ‘their’ success, they’re now disowning the booster jab programme, as by all accounts it’s a shambles

I expect we’ll be back to some more restrictions – too little, too late, as per – by the end of the week

kelvin

Not if you’re going into the upper arm muscle with the right technique. We have people here who have been part of the vaccination rollout, and had the training, so I’ll leave it to them to explain in full Bull. Any personal doubts, speak to you GP before going for your shots, rather than argue with the vaccination teams on the day. If you stand there asking them to change their procedures because of something you read on the internet about giving shots to mice in their thighs, they probably won’t want to know. If you have concerns, your GP will sort you out.

bullshotcrummond
    Free Member

All the vaccine shots are in the upper arm, but there have now been many cases of myocarditis and a few deaths, all from just not doing the aspiration it seems.

Apiration used to be the recommended practice, for some reason it has been stopped. It is also listed in the RCN guide I downloaded as a way of ensuring that you are not injecting in to a blood vessel, which is still possible if you inject into the upper arm.

It seems the health profession have been suggesting that the consequences of accidental injection into the blood vessels are minor, and therefore aspiration is not needed. But it is becoming apparent that the consequences of injecting the mRNA vaccines in the blood vessels are not minor – ask Kyle for example.

Your “because of something you read on the internet” is a bit dismissive of the actual medical research I listed.

tjagain

in the normal place ? What does that mean – you can accidently hit a blood vessel from the normal site of injection – that’s the point.

you seem awful confused on injection technique and anatomy

with the covid vaccine its a tiny needle and there are no blood vessels other than capillaries you can possibly hit so aspiration is not required as you cannot inject into a cappilairy

We used to use much bigger ( both longer and wider) needles for IM injections which could hit a more significant blood vessel hence aspiration was used as with some medications putting the dose into the vein could cause embolisms or too rapid rise in blood concentrations.

Medical practice changes with changes in techniques and with research

so if you are giving a deep IM injection ( which is not the covid vaccine ) which is either an oily suspension, a large volume or something like morphine where rapid blood level rise is dangerous you drawback to check you have not hit a significant blood vessel

If you are giving a shallow Im injection into an area where no major blood vessels are you do not.

Viewing 40 posts - 33,481 through 33,520 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.