• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 33,441 through 33,480 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

MTB(er) related

matthewlhome
    Free Member

You don’t have to mandate a vaccine, you just have to mandate consequences for not having it.

Exactly. My employer have introduced ‘encouragement’ by only providing enhanced sick pay to those that are vaccinated if taking time off due to covid. The impact of unvaccinated employees being ‘pinged’ means others who have been vaccinated having to cover many extra weeks of shifts while they self isolate for 10 days each time.

I don’t know how much impact this has had, but our company normally gives full pay when sick. I am surprised I haven’t heard of more employers taking this approach.

neilnevill
    Free Member

52000 today. Cripes.

iffoverload
    Free Member

mudmuncher
    Free Member

I think many people …. and don’t consider the consequences for everyone else – …., which I why I like the idea of a penny on income tax as it would show them the wider impact and cost of their decision and the expectation they (not the rest of society) should pay for it.

I agree with this idea.

It should be also applied to pollution caused by vehicles, wood burners and the ramifications to other countries where the manufacture of the consumer products purchased has a high carbon footprint or ecological and health cost etc…

MoreCashThanDash

52000 today. Cripes.

Halfway to the Health Secretary’s target from yesterday.

amodicumofgnar

52000 today. Cripes.

Can’t be long before the rest of the world invites us not to leave our damp little island. Yesterday’s briefing still felt like England looking inward and not registering how the rest of the UK or world feels about our levels. Nice to the government is setting us up as culprits for infection rates getting out of hand.

dyna-ti

Cant find – ‘covid ,whats your symptoms’

So here will do and asking anyone thats had this thing what was the score in the coughing department

Been a bit phlegmy for the last 3 or so days, and the last 2 days pretty congested so can only sleep a couple of hours.
    As of today from about mid morning ive been coughing constantly and a bit raspy in the throat and lungs. Not phlegmy but really coughing all the time and the feeling, kind of tickle in the throat is making me cough, and no syrup cough medicine is alleviating it. Bit of a runny nose but nothing to write home about, just slightly blocked/runny so a fair bit of sniffing.
    If anything I’d say some breathlessness, so trying to breath deeply but not really managing it.
    And when i cough my head hurts

Covid ?, cold ?, or cough ?. I’ve no loss of taste, the cough medicine still tastes disgusting.

Plus side. I got the queue to myself in the supermarket this afternoon.
    Dont feel otherwise ill just this damned coughing, sore head when i do so and throat feeling.

Due to being a full time smoker i have been getting a bit congested over the last couple of years, but this doesnt feel related to that, rather something else in its own right.

It’s a total arse about, coughing but bringing nothing up that would provide a bit of clear airways, just followed by more coughing
    Sorry to be somewhat disgusting- phlegm references and such

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I never had any coughing, just a bit phleghmy at night (lots of bogies), a slight feeling of a sore throat and I could feel a tingle in my arms first couple of days which is always a sign my immune system is activated.

MoreCashThanDash

Covid ?, cold ?, or cough ?. I’ve no loss of taste, the cough medicine still tastes disgusting.

I think the default answer now is just get a PCR test.

gray

For coughing, that’s been the answer for about 18 months now. The list of most common symptoms has changed now with delta, and with vaccinations, but the government rules for what counts as COVID symptoms have always said that a load of coughing => presume COVID and isolate until you get a PCR negative or have waited a full isolation period.

There’s a massive range of symptoms and the reality is that pretty much any bug that you get *could* be COVID, so there’s no golden rule like ‘taste normal = not COVID’ so the only way to know is to get a test.

Bunnyhop

dyna-ti – sorry that you aren’t feeling well.
    But, please consider staying away from places such as supermarkets, if you need some shopping try and get a friend, relative or neighbour to help, just in case.
    Even if someone catches a cold, their immune system is low and that means they ‘could’ catch something more serious – maybe flu or covid.

Have a test to give yourself peace of mind.

Murray

Re booster, you can now book yourself rather than waiting for your GP 6 months and a week after your 2d vaccination

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/

richmtb

We’re doomed

Cases and deaths on the rise and this supercilious moron is turning it into a political parlour game

MoreCashThanDash

Sat in the car park while my parents get their boosters.

There’s a lot of folk trying to park and manoeuvre who really shouldn’t still be driving.

matt_outandabout

Cases and deaths on the rise and this supercilious moron is turning it into a political parlour game

And there is the problem – so many folk are taking the lead from Our Great Leaders, as an excuse to not have to modify in the slightest their behaviours. A colleague took the train from London to Scotland yesterday – most of carriage had no mask on, and some when asked to mask up on arrival in Scotland were asking where to buy a mask as they had none with them at all….

stumpyjon

JRM is criminally inept, most transmission is via people who know each other, utter moron.

paul0
    Free Member

Plus side. I got the queue to myself in the supermarket this afternoon.
    Dont feel otherwise ill just this damned coughing, sore head when i do so and throat feeling

Er…. wind-up or what ? Constant coughing has been a reason to isolate/test since the start of all this!

This post is a nice illustration of why mandating mask wearing in busy public places would be a good idea though..

Jamze

Watching that Kyle Warner vid, is inflammation of old injuries something that happens when your immune system is activated (after a vaccination for example)? I was saying the other day an ankle I turned decades ago and badly damaged the ligaments was giving me some grief. Never had an issue before.

thepodge
    Free Member

Forum playing up again or a massive cull?

https://i.ibb.co/7zsHNF6/Screenshot-20211022-133339.png

NewRetroTom

As thepodge has spotted the thread replies count seems to have overflowed and gone back to the start on the index page! Showing correctly as 33,441 within the thread.

NewRetroTom

Close to half what the row limit used to be in Excel (256^2) = 65,536.

midlifecrashes

What was it in Lotus 1-2-3 or Supercalc? I can’t remember.

dudeofdoom

TBH be nice when its is just an old closed thread in the annuls of STW 🙂

Poopscoop

Re booster, you can now book yourself rather than waiting for your GP 6 months and a week after your 2d vaccination

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/

I’ve been trying that link every day or so for a couple of weeks.

Computer says no.

I’m exactly 6 months on the 4th November though.

scud
    Free Member

Watching that Kyle Warner vid, is inflammation of old injuries something that happens when your immune system is activated (after a vaccination for example)? I was saying the other day an ankle I turned decades ago and badly damaged the ligaments was giving me some grief. Never had an issue before.

Both my wife and i suffered this, i have metal pins in my shoulder from an off in Bolivia and tendons repaired in right hand, thankfully neither has ever given me grief for a long time, yet with COVID every old rugby and MTB injury has been giving me grief, and my wife broke her ankle dancing pissed, and again she has been in pain with it.

kelvin

just an old closed thread in the annuls of STW

I can’t wait for that day. It’s odd how many (most?) people seem to have already moved to that point in the UK. The pandemic is talked about in the past tense by so many people, which I really can’t get (well, I can, but it still surprises me how successfully the news narrative and public perception can become divorced from what’s actually going on).

Been pinged this morning, after a week having not left the house, except for a short ride. I’m assuming it’s because of Bespoked last Friday. Glad I was masked, and now appreciate even more those who were also masked up. We were in the minority though. Most people are past the point of practising precaution.

dudeofdoom

What was it in Lotus 1-2-3 or Supercalc? I can’t remember.

Visicalc 🙂

martinhutch

it still surprises me how successfully the news narrative and public perception can become divorced from what’s actually going on

The likes of the Mail are still happy to give weight to ‘experts’ pushing anti-restriction agendas.

They have a ridiculous piece up there right now from some mathematician from Bristol who, apparently, has ‘never been wrong’ about Covid in his modelling. Apparently there’s nothing to worry about this winter.

Took me less than five minutes to find his December 2020 paper in which his model predicted a total of 35,000 more deaths from Covid. So far, we’ve had another 87,000 since then, so only a minor error. He was also in the Mail in April saying that by now, the ONS estimate of active cases would be 160,000 a week. Currently 700,000+ . EDIT Mea Culpa, got that badly wrong – it’s actually 977,000.

Right up there with Piers Corbyn’s weather predictions for the year ahead.

The new SAGE modelling is out too. I note that their model for hospital admissions over the winter actually suggests that admissions will fall back temporarily in the next few weeks, so we’ll know fairly rapidly if that needs a tweak.

TiRed

I was saying the other day an ankle I turned decades ago and badly damaged the ligaments was giving me some grief. Never had an issue before.

The power of cytokines. I get it all the time – IL-6 activated C-reactive protein gets those previously inflamed joints aching again. Every time I have an infection, my neck plays havoc, and my wrist. An now (oooh) lungs!

‘never been wrong’ about Covid in his modelling

Can’t have made many predictions then ;-). Within three fold (half of Log-10) is correct for long-term projections, so not bad. Mind you, anything longer than a month in the future is horcrux and chicken entrails stuff to be honest. And I do this for a job!

I don’t think it is COVID people are worrying about. It is the force of respiratory infectious diseases that are hitting an already overstretched healthcare system. Cornwall might disagree with either the definition of “Worry” of “Winter”.

kelvin

It’s not just Cornwall. Many trusts are talking to each other about what the hell to do next… when they are already in January mode, and have to get their beds and staff through the whole winter, with a government telling them that things are likely to get busier for them, and nothing much is going to be done to mitigate that. They are being handed the shitty end of the stick, and expected to deal with it, by a government that will be quick to blame them where they fail to cope with the extra demands on them (just like ministers and the Sun are joining together to blame primary care providers for the effects of them having to try and mitigate the increased pressures and demands on GPs).

Keando

Just been tested positive and now self isolating.
    Timeline
    Monday – started coughing not continuously but a lot more than usual.
    Tuesday – Coughing, starting to feel a bit under the weather (headache, tired, a running nose – typical cold symptoms). LFT evening – negative.
    Wednesday – Cough had subsided slightly but still having cold symptoms. Was looking at the phone APP said had cough that had started on Monday. This then flagged – to Self isolate for 9 days and to get a PCR test. Which I did.
    Thursday – coughing, Headache, Shivers etc. Got message on the APP that i had been in contact with somebody on Friday that had tested positive and to selfisolate etc… Evening got PCR result back as positive.
    Wife was adament that all I had was a cold…
    Spent ages this morning filling in the online NHS Covid forms for contact details.
    Been working from Home and hardly going out. But had gone for a curry on Friday night think that may have been where i got it from.
    Wife has now gone for a PCR test.
    LFT on Tuesday evening was negative but by Wednesday I was PCR tested as positive. LFT this morning also showing as positive. A bit late now.

If in doubt get tested.

scud
    Free Member

Anyone done the Anti-body test you can volunteer to do?

Sent off my blood sample, hoping that it might actually tell me something, got a text saying

“You have antibodies, therefore you have either had the vaccine or a positive test”

No sh*t Sherlock…

martinhutch

Within three fold (half of Log-10) is correct for long-term projections, so not bad.

As long as mathematicians are up front about the possible range when coming up with a figure for the Daily Mail, that’s fine.

It may be mathematically not bad, considering all the variables, but having to add ‘give or take 40,000 lives or so’ on the press release isn’t good for the underlying message!

kelvin

“You have antibodies, therefore you have either had the vaccine or a positive test”

That’s all they can tell you. And even then (as far as I know, this may have improved), if you haven’t been vaccinated, then they can’t honestly claim to 100% know if you have had THIS coronavirus, and not a less… er… interesting one. They should be telling you…

“It is likely therefore you have either had the vaccine or had the virus”.

MoreCashThanDash

As long as mathematicians are up front about the possible range when coming up with a figure for the Daily Mail, that’s fine.

The mathematician probably was. The editor who needs to write a headline to sell papers or generate clicks then decides what we see…..

martinhutch

Alas, he writes the articles himself, it appears.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9488795/Coronavirus-UK-no-wave-know-writes-PROFESSOR-PHILIP-THOMAS.html

In April, he said that even if there was a third wave of infections, deaths would remain ‘extremely low’.

As a result, even when the peak is reached, the death toll will probably be less than 20 per day.

You would have thought he would be a little too embarrassed to write today’s follow-up piece. But no, apparently there’s still nothing to worry about.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s all they can tell you

i had a Zoe survey antibody test and they can tell between infection and vaccination antibodies (though if infection was beyond 6 months they do not guarantee the result.

Klunk
    Free Member

You would have thought he would be a little too embarrassed to write today’s follow-up piece. But no, apparently there’s still nothing to worry about.

shesh give the bloke a chance he’s only a magnitude out :/

Klunk
    Free Member

when does the new one get named the Bristol Variant ?

Viewing 40 posts - 33,441 through 33,480 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.