• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 33,041 through 33,080 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Kryton57

Unlike other popular social media sites, STW doesn’t have the bots or resource to continuously scan for anti establishment trolls.

I suspect there’s enough opinion in here to satisfy a reasonably educated debate and therefore the thread-wide “lock-in” is a simplistic way to avoid this thread being a constant drain on the staff.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Batfink, Delta hasn’t changed that, it’s always been when not if for covid really. Delta did give the vaccine a turbo boost in the race, although things thankfully didn’t get totally out of control in too many places (saved by summer). As the northern hemisphere heads to autumn with some large case numbers, short memories and a strong desire to just act ‘normal’/like a #*£&, Delta or a new variant could easily take a lead again and give us a right kicking. I hope not though. Fingers crossed the booster jabs get going fast, and as a 48 yo, if they get through the over 50s why stop!?

gray

Here’s a curious thing: a friend of mine in London has just had a third dose of the AZ vaccine. She’s mid 30s, mild asthma so was surprised when her GP got her the first dose a bit ahead of the curve back in the spring, and she had her second dose around the same time as me, mid June. She just got called in via GP surgery for another dose. She didn’t really question it, just figured it was a booster and she was still on the asthma list. Bit weird that it’s only three months after dose two, and also a bit weird given that the press seemed to be suggesting that boosters would be Pfizer or Moderna. So she asked the jabber and was told that boosters *are* Pfizer or Moderna, but ‘third doses’ are matched to previous ones.

Eh? What’s that about then? I mean, I wouldn’t say no either, I’d happily have a top up every few months (provided everyone else is getting a fair go too…), but… eh?

Clover

We managed to have a brush with covid – went to Germany on a work then see family trip. Tests on the way out on Monday – negative. By Saturday, some cold symptoms (him) and a few sneezing fits (me). We went for tests in Germany – administered antigen tests. Both negative. He had a cold for a few days. We had more tests – both negative. Day 2 PCR tests on return. I was negative, he was positive.

Self isolation etc done but main takeaway was that you can be totally oblivious to being a disease vector, particularly as vaccination has made it less likely you’ll be ill. Plus antigen tests aren’t very sensitive. However, the protocol in Germany is masks inside and proof of vaccination at events. Which presumably limits the damage of being oblivious to the risks you pose others. I’ve been wearing a mask much more systematically since coming back, just as no one else seems to be remotely bothered…

kelvin

Well, the government really have totally screwed up another academic year, haven’t they. Useless shower of entitled over confident deaf to advice scum that they are.

MoreCashThanDash

Well, the government really have totally screwed up another academic year, haven’t they. Useless shower of entitled over confident deaf to advice scum that they are.

Some details and context would help out here….?

fossy

We’ve not seen a rise in infections at my Uni. Seems OK.

Jamze

Plus antigen tests aren’t very sensitive.

Aren’t they designed to detect if you are thought to be infectious? Which is a higher bar than a PCR is looking for?

Saw an interesting tweet over the weekend where a healthworker had tested negative on an antigen after another family member was positive, so she used the original method of swabbing (deep in nose and throat) and that showed her as positive.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Feeling fluey….. sensible to go home from work and to a LF test? Headache, upset stomach, sore back and shoulder muscles and proper lethargic.

kelvin

Some details and context would help out here….?

Pick a school… any school. This term is already a mess in many.

Personally, my ranty nature is due to seeing the car crash of this term coming from 6 months out, and not being able to do anything about it. My youngest is in their GCSE year, is already hugely behind due to the mess of the last few academic years, and is now at home again, this time after a positive test. They’ve been the only one wearing a mask in lessons. In rooms full of teens that live with adults who don’t wear a mask anywhere. Masks don’t work that way. Ventilation in school is pretty much non existent as well. Fingers crossed we keep them out of hospital (type 1 diabetes often means time in a ward on a drip when hit by a virus). God knows when the catch up from missing the catch up lessons can happen…

martinhutch

That’s shit Kelvin, sending some healing vibes your kid’s way.

Feeling fluey….. sensible to go home from work and to a LF test?

LF is not for symptomatic people. Go get a PCR. But otherwise, yes, you shouldn’t be in work.

kelvin

Ta. Just back from PCR test. After two positive LFTs, I’m considering it a formality, and it’s another gap in learning coming up.

stumpyjon

Feeling fluey….. sensible to go home from work

Yes because you don’t want to give your colleagues what ever it is you have and now working from home is an option why wouldn’t you. Nothing to do with Covid. I had a cold 2 weeks ago, WFH and made an extra effort with a mask when out and about, if more people did that colds wouldn’t be much of an issue either.

jonm81

4 cases out of 340 pupils at our school. All 4 not linked to school either so yeah, not seeing that as screwed up really.

allanoleary
    Free Member

now working from home is an option why wouldn’t you.

Unfortunately work from home isn’t an option for me. My job is cleaning coaches and school buses. Was all I could find after losing my previous job pre covid. It’s a semi outdoor job, all the buses are in a yard, not under cover and I pretty much work alone, but I wouldn’t want to be leaving covid (if it happens to be that) inside a bus I’ve just spent a few hours deep cleaning

kelvin

4 cases out of 340 pupils at our school. All 4 not linked to school either so yeah, not seeing that as screwed up really.

Only 4 across the school so far this term, with no onwards transmission in school? Blimey. Impressive. Well, the news from elsewhere is that it’s not the same everywhere. Be thankful.

I’ll revise my rant… I’m angry that the government have failed the kids around here then. In fact, if this is a policy where further damaging educational provision and attainment in some geographical areas is acceptable because other areas are doing just fine, I think that pisses me off even more.

grahamt1980

My 6 yr old has at least 5 of from his class for the last 2 weeks. Will find out from him how many are in today. He had a really enjoyable 2 weeks at home (utterly shite for us)

ant77
    Free Member

My sons school occasionally sends out an e-mail saying a child in year group X has got it and has gone home. So looks like they are quite under control. Parent whatsapp seems to reflect this. Dorking.

My boss at work, he now has it having been given it by his daughter. Apparently, almost half of her year group have it and are now out of school. They’ve combined what’s left of the 2 classes into one. Assume due to teachers also getting it. I think his daughter is about 6 or 7. Woking

So it appears to be very much down to the area you’re in.

MoreCashThanDash

30 kids off in my daughters year 10, so half a class, including her best mate who tested positive on Friday.

Also lots off with a really nasty cold bug, and notorious.

Probably the worst it’s been since the pandemic started, but as its still only September, I’m not convinced the whole year has been trashed. Yet.

jonm81

Only 4 across the school so far this term, with no onwards transmission in school?

Yep. 2 of those reported on the first day of term so definitely nothing to do with returning to school. The other 2 caught it through known transmission routes not linked to school. No onward transmission to other pupils.

To be honest since the start of this we’ve had less than 20 cases in the whole school and of those quite a few were teachers not the kids.

kelvin

That’s brilliant.

Here, we haven’t even got to October, and multiple absences in all classes is entirely normal. Another academic year where teachers need to try and help kids when there are always many of them missing, kids who are already well behind.

My own child has the added fun of not responding to their insulin now, and is likely to be in hospital and on a drip at some point this week (ketones are fine so far though, cross fingers). But, hey, everyone got their “freedom” this summer, and a few more months of masks while we rolled out vaccines would have been an inconvenience. His education and wellbeing is a small price to pay. Ironically, he finally got the nod to book his first jab in the post this weekend. Timing.

cvilla

If you had allergy issues (asking for a friend in their 70’s), is there somewhere where you can go for testing for Cv19 vaccine reaction, or do you need Drs referral or pay? Ideally south UK, Herts area. Thanks

anagallis_arvensis

4 cases out of 340 pupils at our school

About 100 cases in Mrs Anagallis school last week.
    Don’t know how many in mine they stopped telling use about 20 in just the classes I taught today. If they were still sending home those sat near cases half the school would be at home now.

vazaha

We (Stafford) have the third highest infection rate in the United Kingdom – schools are the driver here. We’re probably higher now, we’ve been climbing the pop charts like a new entry from a golden-panted Kylie.

Colleague i was supposed to work with just this morning was off because daughter was close contact with positive case in class. Local school started masks for all students in lessons from today. Other local school closed completely last Friday so it could be deep cleaned before opening today.

It’s lovely if it isn’t happening to you now, but it’s happening elsewhere, and it’s not that far away.

anagallis_arvensis

Colleague i was supposed to work with just this morning was off because daughter was close contact with positive case in class.

Surely that’s just a shoulder shrug and carry on these days?

MoreCashThanDash

Surely that’s just a shoulder shrug and carry on these days?

That’s where we are. We all test negative evert morning, we’re under 18 or double jabbed, we crack on.

Got my first real team meeting for 18 months today. Have asked if any of my colleagues wants me to miss it, one has just asked me to keep away from her as she has a lung condition, everyone else says they are prepared to take the risk – masks, distancing, ventilation all in place.

Let’s hope I’m not the Typhoid Mary of the Civil Service. Covid Steve doesn’t sound as good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

14 year old daughter got her jag on saturday, her and her friends didn’t wait for their letters, straight along to drop in centre, proud of her.

Kelvin, all the best sir, that’s a tough time.

gray

There’s definitely a lot of variation across schools. My kids’ primary school (around 5-600 kids) has had hardly any cases at all, throughout. We just had an email from the head to say that there’s been a positive case in a different year, so maybe it’s about to kick off, but so far we’ve escaped. Doesn’t mean it’ll continue that way though..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agreed gray, my daughters secondary school of over 1000 kids has been back since last week in June, and as been a shit load better than it was before summer holidays, despite us going through some really high case levels a few weeks back.

A lot of that will be down to relaxing of close contacts rules etc.

BillOddie

Covid seems to be continuing to be pretty rife in Leicestershire schools.

They have brought back face covering mandates in my kids’ comp and the numbers have dropped a bit which is good.

dantsw13

Delta seems very transmissible, so once a school gets a few cases, it runs wild. Not just the school itself, but buses, trains etc with no rules.

I was in Manchester for work on Saturday. Its like Covid never existed. Bars rammed, no social distance, masks gone. I was glad I had it 4 weeks ago & double jabbed. Herd immunity strategy by the back door seems where we are at.

zilog6128

I was in Manchester for work on Saturday. Its like Covid never existed. Bars rammed, no social distance, masks gone. I was glad I had it 4 weeks ago & double jabbed.

yeah. I would’ve preferred not to have got it but, having just had it & come out the other side (although still not 100% yet) it is a big load off! Means I can crack on and do stuff again without worrying about catching it or passing it on to others (for a while, at least). One way of looking at it maybe is that, assuming getting it at some point is inevitable, being double-jabbed and pre flu-season, now is possibly the “right” time 😬

Edukator
    Free Member

An LFT positive trumps a PCR negative in terms of reliability, Kelvin. If the LTF is positive it’s so reliable it’s pointless doing a PCR. Only negative LTFs are unrelaible and best backed up with a PCR if you risk putting others at risk.

Fingers crossed for your youngest.

Still no in-school transmission in Madame’s school, Masks on and windows open still.

We’re at 94% of adults fully vaccinated in this part of France, the infection level is below 50/100 000. People are still complying really well with the measures but it can’t be long before they’re lifted. It feels like life as normal apart from banging knuckles rather than bises. I’ll cross my fingers for a second time in one post.

theotherjonv

If the LTF is positive it’s so reliable it’s pointless doing a PCR.

Except they use a proportion of the PCR’s for variant typing and tracking. So valuable for that purpose

kelvin

My kid’s PCR was positive. Thanks for kind thoughts people, they’re still at home so far. CGM has proven its worth trying to keep blood sugars under control. Ketones still fine.

it’s so reliable it’s pointless doing a PCR

That was my thought. But, my other half also had symptoms, negative LFT, and wanted a PCR. So both had a PCR test. She’s negative, so just knocked out with a horrible cold. House of the lurgy. Both caught what they have from their schools.

Edukator
    Free Member

She’s negative, so just knocked out with a horrible cold

Even PCR tests aren’t reliable for negative results. One high profile teenage case here had two negative PCRs whilst ill enough to be admitted to hospital and then tested positive on the third test just before dying. Even symptomatic, at eight days after infection there’s still a 20% chance of a false negative.

It’s one of the reasons test and trace never worked – the level of false negatives pre-symptoms and in the early days of symptomatic illness is too high.

kelvin

Multiple tests increase trust in the results though. Negative LFT over several days, and a negative PCR. Anyway, she’s isolating, so it’s not hugely relevant, and she is being looked after and monitored.

I agree that relying completely on tests for track and trace makes it ineffective (too many false negatives), but that’s why most Track/trace/isolate systems had people isolating due to contact, rather than having to test positive. As soon as it’s only people with positive tests isolating, you are not going to significantly reduce chains of infection.

MoreCashThanDash

Well, I had my first visit back to the office today – much less traffic, office only 20% full, actually quite nice. And real human interaction with colleagues for the first time in 18 months.

Came home to find another of daughters school friends has tested positive so she’d been sent home and told to get a PCR test.

Del

We’re at 94% of adults fully vaccinated in this part of France, the infection level is below 50/100 000. People are still complying really well with the measures

Blimey. Good for you. A bit of compulsion and a bit of discipline pretty effective then. I’m in the SW of the UK and we’re bumping along at ~ 300/100k and everyone is cracking on like it never happened afaict. I’m continuing to be careful and I hope my close contacts are also but as previously mentioned one of those is the head of a large primary and they’re business as usual – assemblies with singing, the lot. 🙄

Del
Viewing 40 posts - 33,041 through 33,080 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.