• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    v8ninety

There’s a built in flaw with a gas tight suit…

I do hope no one tries one on without the requisite BA.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We were supposed to be going to bolonga Italy next week.

Making plans to wind that up now given we would be traveling with a vulnerable person.

Should be fun with the insurance since as yet the area we are going to isn’t on lock down but being responsible I don’t want to end up stuck there with a. Vulnerable person who has a high chance of getting any illness going. (And no I don’t mean my infant daughter…..someone more vulnerable to such virus.)

I’m.sure it’ll cost money to be responsible in such situation.

CountZero

It may be an opportune moment to post this up…

scotroutes

BoardinBob

Well I’m due to head to northern italy in about 6 weeks. Just outside Lombardy but I’ll be flying into Milan. Unless they get it under control ASAP I can see it spreading beyond there pretty quickly. Have’t booked flights yet but accommodation is booked. I’m fit and healthy so not overly concerned but the missus is a T1 diabetic so is in the high risk category

richmtb

Bad news coming out of Iran too. It looks like they have been under-reporting the number of cases.

Officially they have 46 cases but now apparently 50 are dead in Qom alone?

Qom is a Shia pilgrimage site so potentially gets lots or tourist traffic.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone close to this? My daughter’s now poorly, although without all the symptoms as described on the internet. It seems that testing is only offered to people who’ve been to the Asian hotspots, but the Italian one is now kicking off apparently.

We aren’t particularly ill but I don’t want to be a carrier.

Drac
    molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I read that – none of the sites mention Italy though. I’m guessing that if I call it in they’ll just follow those guidelines and not offer us a test.

Might call them anyway though.

Drac

Currently it’s not but no but I’d not be surprised if it gets added, I’d not be too concerned but a call may help give you peace of mind.

ferrals
    Free Member

I would guess they would rather test you than not! Given you know you’ve been to an area where it is present, the responsible thing would be to call up and explain. Better that than read about an unexplained outbreak related to a Cardiff DIY store in a weeks time!

martinhutch

Plus you probably get to meet P-jay’s missus.

dantsw13

I had a link to a NYT article pop up on my FB today, alleging that Coronavirus is a leak from a Chinese lab. Apparently the only Chinese level 4 lab capable of handling such viruses is in Wuhan.

Fake News or viable?

sobriety
    Free Member

At this point it doesn’t matter either way.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fake News or viable?

The virus is certainly the latter.

dantsw13

If the Chinese have been playing with this, they are far more likely to be closer to a vaccine than the 18 months suggested by uk experts.

poly
    Free Member

I would guess they would rather test you than not! Given you know you’ve been to an area where it is present, the responsible thing would be to call up and explain. Better that than read about an unexplained outbreak related to a Cardiff DIY store in a weeks time!

Whereas I would guess they would probably rather not. The testing is expensive, and testing too many very low risk people creates a bottle neck behind the high risk cases. A train passing through an area with over 50,000 people of whom 165 have been diagnosed, is not the same as having close contact with someone who is infected. Especially as whilst he has “flu like symptoms” he doesn’t have the symptoms most closely associated with this infection: cough or fever or shortness of breath. Most likely he had regular man-flu as many people will get this winter; following good hygiene practice to reduce exposure to others will help either way.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Plus you probably get to meet P-jay’s missus.

Pretty likely, Molegrips doesn’t live far from me.

molgrips
    Free Member

The WHO website has a much longer list of symptoms though many of which I had. I’ll probably call NHS direct, they probably won’t test me.

@p-jay
    ask your Mrs if I should call NHS direct or not?

Twodogs

although we had flu like weakness we haven’t had coughs and sneezes or apparently any fever…

Ring 111 if it’ll make you feel better, but you haven’t had they symptoms?

Twodogs

From The Grauniad:

In France, the government urged anyone who has visited Lombardy or Veneto – the two most affected regions in Italy – to wear face masks if they go outside, limit non-essential activities and take their temperatures twice a day

molgrips
    Free Member

From WHO

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell.

Aches and pains, diarrhea, nasal congestion, tiredness. All mild.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The WHO website has a much longer list of symptoms though many of which I had. I’ll probably call NHS direct, they probably won’t test me.

@p-jay
    ask your Mrs if I should call NHS direct or not?

She said they don’t specifically ask people who’ve visited the affected parts of Italy to call, but they really won’t be upset if you do.

I’d give them a call, they’ve got more info than most and you won’t find your house being buzzed by black helicopters if they think you need checking, it’ll be a District nurse wearing a HazMat suit

frankconway

Stock markets taking fright today based on concerns about economic effects; one day movements mean nothing so will be interesting to see what happens next.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51612520
    As for covid-19, good hygiene practice should be a given; gloves, goggles, masks – if you wish.
    Any change to NHS guidelines will be widely communicated and I wouldn’t do more than they recommend.

martinhutch

it’ll be a District nurse wearing a HazMat suit

A well-placed camera to record the reactions of your neighbours please.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Fake News or viable?

It’s a story been doing the rounds since day 1, I’m going to say bat shit.

If it does turn out to be true we should all be very glad it wasn’t something nasty.

scruff9252

Stock markets taking fright today based on concerns about economic effects; one day movements mean nothing so will be interesting to see what happens next.

It’s payday in a couple of days – fingers crossed this run on the markets lasts a few more days so when we drop our deposits into our pensions / S&S ISA’s we buy our funds at a nice discount!

Drac

I’m going to say bat shit.

Yeah that was the suspected cause.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yeah that was the suspected cause

Apparently it was supposed to be guava soup but the chef misread it.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Is there a reason why the Corona virus dashboard (link on page 1) is now password protected? Shame as it was a useful gauge on the situation. Hope there’s nothing more covert going on…!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Seems the source has been found

https://www.thefarside.com/2020/02/25/2

Twodogs

For MolGrips:

Chief Medical Officer advice (according to Matt Hancock) is that if you’ve been in Italy, North of Pisa, self-isolate if you have symptoms
    If you’ve been to one of the quarantined areas, self isolate regardless

molgrips
    Free Member

Heard that on the news, thanks folks.

It just says self isolate – although it doesn’t say for how long – and it says if you have returned after 19th Feb. I left on 13th.

thepurist

14 days is the normal isolation period.  One for the medics – does it count as being isolated if you’re all alone riding a bike in the woods, only touching gate hardware with gloved hands etc?

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds like there are now cases in other areas in Italy as well according to the news.

Plus a hotel in Tenereife is in lockdown.

Re. the self isolation, I was thinking that a lot of people who are advised to self isolate I guess. WHo picks up the bill for that. If you are a salaried worker I guess its covered as sick leave, but if you are self employed?

I guess @Molgrips the idea is to self isolate for 14 days since you left the country so you are almost there already. Did you call 101?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And there’s a vaccine now* too…

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180695.shtml

*if you’re a crazy scientist testing it on yourself

kerley
    Free Member

does it count as being isolated if you’re all alone riding a bike in the woods, only touching gate hardware with gloved hands etc?

Yes that would count, just as walking down an empty street would count. You won’t be catching anything and won’t be transmitting anything if no-one else is around.

However you will not be able to go to the shops and if your area is in lockdown you may not be able to get anything delivered. That is exactly why I stocked up…

jam-bo
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.