Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Where have all the steel hard tails gone?
  • Kryton57

Built this up at the weekend:

Kinesis1

It my second steel frame the first being a Genesis Altitude. First ride on this will be tomorrow morning, can’t wait!

Edit: Now with Trailraker/Bonty MudX combo and inner tube stylee chain stay.

LMT
    Free Member

I get the feeling steel is out of fashion again, orange didn’t make a P7 this year, and if you look in the classifieds quite a few P7’s for sale (including mine) and no one’s that interested.

I loved my hardtail, steel for me is the best bike ive had, but room at home etc.. means it has to go.

chiefgrooveguru

Setting apart the iconic or not, there is minimal difference between a Soul and Breath et al in dimensions and tubing – it is just certain brands that STW seems to go do-lally over.

Well the Soul has an 853 front triangle, not just chro-moly, and thus weighs 0.4lbs less. The Life is closer being 853 up front but still heavier. And the current Soul just seems to have all the little details better thought out – tapered fork compatible, dropper post compatible, no chainstay bridge for more mud clearance, neat dropouts with replaceable mech hanger, oval top tube (stiffer laterally, more compliant vertically), etc. It may ride incredibly similarly but those details count and it’s one reason that the Soul is, in a rather small way, somewhat iconic – there is substance behind the brand value.

eyerideit
    Free Member

One’s not an icon, it’s not got fancy tubes, it’s heavier but its just as good to ride.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Would the Voodoo Bizango be more like a modern Explosif, considering where it’s from…

Duffer
    Free Member

I get the feeling steel is out of fashion again, orange didn’t make a P7 this year, and if you look in the classifieds quite a few P7’s for sale (including mine) and no one’s that interested.

It’s a shame you’re forced to sell. But that aside, i’m quite pleased the Steel HT thing is going out of vouge; it means we can be niche again!

Belt drive 29ers with lefty forks and stupid bars are too common these days…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

You would have thought that the bike industry would realise that the STW forum could sustain the continued worldwide demand for steel hard tails all on it’s own! 😉

NormalMan

Here is mine:

On the plus side it’s a steel Kona! 😀 The negative is it is heavy! 🙁

binners

I was quite surprised to see that there isn’t a steel hardtail in the Orange range at the moment. Just butt ugly clown bikes. Here’s mine enjoying a post ride pint…

orange by binlidski, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

oh dear, how did that happen ?

Jesus, that must of been a heavy hit Peter!

Yep. It was a big hit. I rode into a parked car at about 15mph. Didn’t see it until my head broke the windscreen. Yes. I am eejit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Surely a more modern version of an explosif would bring something to the table that other bikes didn’t have.

I have a modern version of an Explosif, too. It’s an Explosif:

IMG_3493 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_3496 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_3497 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_3495 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Gripshift are now XT thumbs, and i has a silver seatpost and soon some Charge Splashback tyres.

drkpeak
    Free Member

I’m with binners, had a P7 for a few years now, bought frame second hand, built up as a 1×10 now, taken everything i’ve thrown at it, soaks up the knocks and feels really lively on fast trails. If I had the doh i’d look at a Cotic though, their sweet as

LMT
    Free Member

Here’s my P7 yep and i know the cables need sorting, popping into my lbs today to get the brakes bled and cables sorted, its only been a couple of years riding like that, and no those pedals are not the usual normally some stealth candys.

senorj

I have a p7 like Binners’. My fave ever bike. 🙂
    It’s hibernating in the north at the moment. 😥

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

T’Clockwork

eyerideit
    Free Member

PP very nice, what year is it? It’s got a fluted DT so I’m guessing 93/94.

How is it suck good condition, have you resprayed it?

wwaswas

I love my Curtis – made in the UK from UK tubing;

I love the way it’s put together and there’s some lovely details;

boxbuster
    Free Member

Here’s my Surge, gets used for anything and everything, by far the most ridden out of my bikes.

[/url]

Speshpaul

Stirlingcrispin re mech hanger
    They something like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50143&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom
    the are keeper ones about on one did one for about a tenner

marsdenman
    Free Member

Stripped my old bike yesterday.
    Yellow hand job ‘rolling chassis’ currently in the cellar, awaiting further fettling later today.
    Slowly, slowly, buildy bikey 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My old explosif – sold a while ago:

my current wanga, sporting rigid forks and slicks:

tacopowell
    Free Member

About to head out to Sherwood Pines 😀

rjhazell
    Free Member

So I’m going for the sanderson breath, I’m just over 6ft, currently ride an 18” voodoo but I feel bolt upright when I ride it. The 18” sanderson’s top tube length is 30mm more than the voodoo, should I stick with 18” or go for the 20? Its a hard one to gauge as once I’ve picked on I’ve got to stick with it!

LoCo
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes. Albert Classic 853.

DSC_0241 by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

😀

matt_outandabout

I am bob on 6′ and ride an 18″ Breath. Tis lovely 99% of the time, only on a couple of really long uphills have I though it is a tad short (and that is with 60mm stem on)

st66

The 18” sanderson’s top tube length is 30mm more than the voodoo, should I stick with 18” or go for the 20?

I am 6’2″ – I have the Sanderson Breath 18″ with a 60mm stem and layback seatpost. Great bike – works for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LoCo, love that blue 🙂

PP very nice, what year is it? It’s got a fluted DT so I’m guessing 93/94.

Very good! It’s a 93. USA spec frame though, was originally a similar BR green where the UK models were silver faded to a colour

This was the frame as I got it

IMG_2519 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Better view of the colour and fluted down tube

IMG_2513 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

[/quote]How is it suck good condition, have you resprayed it?

Yes. Done by Argos Cycles in Bristol. Braze ons added for the Magura Hydraulics (or full length outers for vee brakes I suppose) and the cable hanger removed from the stem. Frame painted in the closest British Racing Green they had to the OE colour and the forks and stem in champagne gold. Decals by Gil at The Cycle Shed, done to my colour and spec.
    I don’t ride it much. It’s for sunny summer rides and pootles only. 🙂 It looks better in the flesh too.

StirlingCrispin

Same here: I’m 6ft1 and ride an 18″ Life and 20″ Soloist.

The Life is perfect and chuckable. I do OK on the soloist but do sometimes feel like I’m manoeuvring a gate.

Speshpaul – thanks. I’ve been meaning to try a hangerbanger again. I had one on a previous Ti frame (snapped). Not sure one would have saved me when I’ve picked sticks though – and I only do it every few years :?.

bigblackshed

Here’s mine:

It’s an 18″ with a 90mm stem. I’m 6’3″ with 34″ inside leg. Works fine.

rjhazell
    Free Member

18” it is!

I see activesports.co.uk are selling them for 255, anyone had any experience with them? Next question is blue or racing green?

thegman67

Just completed the Puffer with my 456 ss with 140mm forks. No probs doing any of it and the descents where a hoot

matt_outandabout

I do prefer the green to my blue…

julianwilson
    Free Member

That looks like a good price. And green I reckon.

IIRC activesport.co.uk are one of those bike shops whose online stock control is rather optimistic, and much less reliable than if you phone them up and ask. And even then….

Ahem. Plenty more threads like this on here too.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Here’s mine in many guises

Currently at the powdercoaters for a freshen up

nickhead
    Free Member

Here’s another one – my Dialled Prince Albert Mk1, in it’s various guises and colours (same frame)

trickydisco
    Free Member

My stanton slackline.. love it!

matt_outandabout

Ah, that is the Stanton Slackline.

unovolo
    Free Member

Can I play,my Prince Albert in its original guise

And in its current guise

weare138
    Free Member

My old 2002 Kona Scab is in bit in my garage.. Looking to sell it but not got a clue about £££?? Not ridden it in ages. Good fun when I did 🙂

willej

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

My Duster is now built-up and it’s just been on shakedown and new brake bed-in ride. Need to make a few tweaks but happy so far.

Untitled by will jenkins, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Where have all the steel hard tails gone?’ is closed to new replies.