Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Where have all the steel hard tails gone?
  • rjhazell
    Free Member

Looking at Charge/On-one/Ragley’s websites there doesn’t seem to be the same range of frames available? Is this because its the start of the year or have they stopped selling the 456 Duster/summerseason/piglet?

Also, has anyone got any experience with sanderson frames? Like the look of the BREATH as a cost effective way of upgrading to a steel frame.

RJH

alanl
    Free Member

Where have they gone?
    Stolen from my garage twice.
    I now have a fat carbon framed HT. Would still rather have a Rock Lobster.

Duffer
    Free Member

I can’t speak for the other manufacturers, but OO are still touting the same stuff as before. They pay more attention to the 29ers and fatbikes these days, but they still sell the 456 / Inbred, etc.

willej

Sanderson Breaths are very good. I had one for a while a few years ago. I’ve had several steel Konas and a 456. The Breath was like a slightly heavier and more modern version of an Explosif I once had.

I’ve just managed to snap up an unused 2012 Charge Duster frame on eBay for £165, which I’ll be building up soon 😀

racefaceec90

unfortunately charge are only doing 29″ bikes now (although still steel frames).i e-mailed them about why they no longer had the duster bikes on their site (luckily i have a duster).

matt_outandabout

They are all going too fast for you to get pics:

Comrie Croft pump jump track by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Avoiding homework…. by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    *shock* there are even *two* in this pic 😉

Callender Estates ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

willej

Mine resting in 2009

docrobster
    Free Member

There’s 2 in my shed for a start off…
    Thinking of sticking my summer season frame in the classifieds if you’re looking secondhand?

bigblackshed

Sanderson Soloist here. Proper steel ride. Loving it TBH. The Breath is the the geared version without the EBB. A LOT nicer than the OO SS I had before. It just felt dead and lifeless. And it wasn’t the rest of the build at fault. I swapped all of the components on to a Ragley Blue Pig and it was a different beast. The standard 456 is miles ahead of the SS.

Duffer
    Free Member

The standard 456 is miles ahead of the SS.

A different bike designed for a different purpose.

If I remember correctly, the SS is made of plain-gauge tubing, and has a 2-degree slacker head angle. It’s designed to give you slack angles without needing to run such a long fork, which changes the geometry radically under compression. A different take on the Downhill Hardtail idea.

But I will allow you to not like it 😉 I ride a standard 456, myself.

robhenry85
    Free Member

well ive just built up a 456 ss, finished it last night. wanted a ss so i can run my 130mm forks i had kicking about and still have a nice slack head angle! not riden it yet tho 😉

mmel
    Free Member

Ragley have a whole load of new frames round the corner, their FB page has plenty of pics. New Blue Pig, Piglet and a 29er Big Wig.

The piglet frame gets my vote. Link

eyerideit
    Free Member

The Breath was like a slightly heavier and more modern version of an Explosif I once had.

I can vouch for this statement. I’ve ridden my explosif and soloist on the same trails and will CATEGORICALLY state that Sandersons are very Kona-esque.

It’s a shame they’re heavier, and it’s a shame my explosif only has a 1″ headtube and no disc tabs. Otherwise I’d be keeping it.

alpin
    Free Member

the Sanderson is a great frame…. had mine for yonks now. has been “down-graded” to city/hack bike of late, but was/is always a good ride. a very steel-feel (i know this sounds cliche, but there are other steel frames that feel dead in comparison. my DB Alpine has a very dud feel to it until you really rag the tits off it; the Sanderson feels lively at lower speeds).

eugeo81
    Free Member

I just finished my budget inbred build. First steel frame I’ve had since the 90s

Euro
    Free Member

456SS here.

It just felt dead and lifeless

Mine does too, until i ride it.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Loving my wee ss at the minute

Mugdock1 by Doubledunter, on Flickr

But would love this

Soul1 by Doubledunter, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Williej – Have you got a better pic of that lovey Sanderson?

Maguras, Rockshox? Right up my street, is that! 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

5 steel frames, 1 rigid too, can’t beat em.
    All locked up

eyerideit
    Free Member

They’re pikes on the Sanderson.

I only know that because of the number on the bridge

amplebrew

It had been along time since I last owned a steel bike, but I’m really loving my Dekerf…….

shandcycles
    Free Member

we’ve just finished this one :

Shand 29er by shandcycles, on Flickr

and we’ll have our new production hardtail ready in a couple of weeks to be officially launched at the Bristol Bespoked show in April.

rjhazell
    Free Member

Might consider getting a sanderson.

I’m currently on A 2009 voodoo Bantu bought on c2w, slight bug bear as I’m over 6ft so bought the 20″ frame, considering its a large frame I’m bolt upright on it yet all the weight is on my hands… its like riding a bloody gate!

Anyone think buying some higher rise bars could help as an interim measure?

It does me fine and the 09 models were great value for money… mavic rims, race face finishing kit, juicy 3s, epicon fork, x5 drive train and truative cranks…. and it cost £579 less tax saving thru c2w so can’t really complain…. makes me laugh how halfords/voodoo are Joe Murray this, Joe Murray that yet he said in the ST mag interview a couple of months ago that he barely has anything to do with them nowadays.

StirlingCrispin

I have a Sanderson Life and love it – but keep bending the mech hanger and dropout open on passing sticks. Done it twice now, sob.

willej

Side-on shot for PP:

Image049 by will jenkins, on Flickr

Truth be told I wish it had been a 17″ with the same length top tube, just because it had a lot of seatpost showing most of the time!

belugabob
    Free Member

Mine’s gone nowwhere, it’s just been in bits during a rebuild, but now – It’s back!

matt_outandabout

Oooh, rapidly becoming a proper Sanderson thread… *approves*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Truth be told I wish it had been a 17″ with the same length top tube, just because it had a lot of seatpost showing most of the time!

Yeah, they are loooong bikes. I had a Breath. Lovely though, and yours is a corker 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is my Breath from about 6 years ago now

Sanderson 19 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Sanderson 17 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

And this is how it ended up 🙁

Crash_018 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

leeroybrown
    Free Member

oh dear, how did that happen ?

eugeo81
    Free Member

Jesus, that must of been a heavy hit Peter!

haggis1978

Not wanting to upset anyone because I can see you like your Sandersons but you can’t say they’re a newer version of an explosif. When the explosif was in its heyday it was a top class production steel frame retailing at £450-500 frame only and I’m talking the mid nineties here. It used a lot of the top steel tube sets of the day and was one of the first to feature things like ribbed and shaped ovalised tubing which in turn lead to all the monocoque frame designs after it. I’m not sure what you would compare it to now, in this country at the very least compare the Explosif to a Soul but the Explosif had worldwide fame. it certainly would not be compared to a relatively cheap frame like the Sanderson. They might have achieved a similar ride as the Explosif but the Explosif had those ride characteristics 20 years ago. The Explosif is an Iconic steel hardtail. The Sanderson is not. That’s not to say its not a good bike of course and I do like them myself but someone earlier compared it to an Explosif with a 1″ headtube which must be at least 22 years old!

matt_outandabout

Setting apart the iconic or not, there is minimal difference between a Soul and Breath et al in dimensions and tubing – it is just certain brands that STW seems to go do-lally over.

haggis1978

Ok poor comparison but is the Explosif iconic? Yes. Is the Sanderson? No.

willej

I had a 2003 Explosif, the grey one made from True Temper OX Platinum, with an inch and an eighth headtube. I said the Breath was like a heavier, more modern version. Yes, the Breath was cheaper (hence heavier) but it was also 6 years younger. The ride was very similar in general terms. Not the same, similar 🙂

haggis1978

And Matt you’ve maybe just hit it on the nose. The Sanderson is like other bikes whereas the Explosif was something different and better. Fancy tubing before its time, straight bladed rigid forks that we see so much of now and of course that sloping top tube.

haggis1978

Surely a more modern version of an explosif would bring something to the table that other bikes didn’t have. I know the new Explosifs don’t and they’re a bit of a disappointment really compared to what they once were. Not trying to sound argumentative here really but fear I am so I’m going to bed now, night night.

matt_outandabout

Oh, I agree on that – the iconic bit.
    But ride quality wise…

willej

When I said more modern I meant in its ability to take longer forks, bigger tyres and so on. I didn’t mean it was someone’s evolution of the Explosif.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Where have all the steel hard tails gone?’ is closed to new replies.